Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Punk?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

NotMe wrote:
    There's a bit of a difference between your first statement and the second one.
    Yes ok, most of their lyrics then? :p John O'Neill from the Undertones made this point about SLF in an interview years ago and it sort of stuck with me. I always thought the Undertones were the greater band for steering away from barbed wire and bombs cliches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Thanks for the sujections Redleslie2 the problem i had was finding moden punk bar the donnas who im not mad about the others have been around for ages and I alreadly have stuff by bad realigion and husker du. I dont like the distillers at all everything ive heard seems so be a prime example what i dislike about modern punk. I'll try out some anti-flag stuff. Granted SLF didnt write all thier stuff but they were a damn good band who produced some great albums altough everything since the comeback is muck. And on the whole SLF v Undertones thing the SLF nudge it for me in fact i prefered the o'neils bros in That Petrol Emotion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Well I prefer songs about barbed wire to songs about Mars bars. :D I do like the Undertones too though.

Thanks for the sujections Redleslie2 the problem i had was finding moden punk bar the donnas who im not mad about the others have been around for ages and I alreadly have stuff by bad realigion and husker du. I dont like the distillers at all everything ive heard seems so be a prime example what i dislike about modern punk. I'll try out some anti-flag stuff. Granted SLF didnt write all thier stuff but they were a damn good band who produced some great albums altough everything since the comeback is muck. And on the whole SLF v Undertones thing the SLF nudge it for me in fact i prefered the o'neils bros in That Petrol Emotion
    I know what you mean, eh, did you try the Amen site someone posted a link too. Some videos of the mentalers there. They've some links to other bands as well, like 80's Matchbox B-Line Disaster who can be good. I was also going to recommend The Parkinsons who I saw play with Ikara Colt but I don't know if they're still going. Ah they are... http://adamant.gfrs.co.uk/parkinsons/biography.html

The Petrols were deadly yes. My first gig ever was seeing them play in the Olympic Ballroom. I remember quite a few packed sweaty rockin shows in places like the New Inn ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Wire's album Pink Flag is an oft-overlooked classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

John2 wrote:

Agreed. Great band.

John2 wrote:
    Funny you should mention that, That Petrol Emotion did a cover of Mannequin at the gig I just mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

At the risk of sounding like a sad ould bastard I would have to say the sex pistols. Siouxie and the banshees. The clash (should be automatically understood - a pre-given - given the topic. JS RIP but music still lives) Nowadays I would have to say the Clergy - they describe themselves as punk/metal. But there is just too much punk (infuence) there for me to ignore. I do luv it - just wish they had an agent who knows where there at. And that would be neo-punk imho.

The Birthday Party, Black Flag, Buzzcocks, Daisy Chainsaw and The Ex are all worth checking out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Black Flag are always a given !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 CKY

bombidol wrote:
    If thats the kinda punk stuff you are into , Try Anti-Flag fwww.anti-flag.com their new album "Terror State" is amazing. Try some bands like The Unseen And The Code too, both websites are under the AF records link at the Anti Flag Website

excellnt choice althought die for your government i think is a better cd of theirs...im having trouble getting their other cd's :(

The Birthday Party
    I always considered them a post-punk/goth band an yes they were damn good.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Got Anti-Flag's "Mobilize" in London last weekend. Deadly. Some class live stuff on there too. Apprently it's really expensive to import from punk labels in the US :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Just buy online, not a huge fan of die for your government to be honest
    its not bad, but on some of their CDs they seemed confused about what to do a lot of the time

I always considered them a post-punk/goth band an yes they were damn good.

I can never decide if they are punk or post punk but they had the right attitude so they're punk to me. I'd never class them as goth though, despite Nick's image.

I always considered them a bit of a goth band and i imagine a number of gith bands were influenced by them anyway they were a great band what label you call them is fairly unimportant.

too true, now altogether: WELCOME TO THE CAR SMASH!!!!!

Advertisement