Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL 1mb upgrade to 1.5mb

• 31-08-2004 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

this was meant to happen today for current 1mb customers, anyone notice if they got it auto ?

still 1mb here :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

not me so far, I thought it was from the 1st though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

This is for home cable lines I presume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

its been at 1.5 for weeks . just after they announced it it went up.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

Nope im just checked and im still at 1mb..

Wonder will they remember me one of their oldest customers :D:D

Great Boards guys i just found them and there is some great info here..

Misty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Mistmyr wrote:
    Great Boards guys i just found them and there is some great info here..
    Welcome to Boards.ie :) Enjoy your stay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Nope still 1mb here too, on the NTL homepage is states that the new tarrifs are effective from the 1st of september.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

Have you tried resetting the cable modem recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭roryodonnell

Unplug it for about 5 secs

Ill try and re-set the thing after i get home later..

I hate to plug the thing out, Im always afraid that when i put it back in, the thing wont work...

Murphys Law ;)

Misty

Powered off mine this morning & I'm still on 1mb.

Also called them a few minutes ago & they said it's being done in a phased basis and we should need to do nothing, it'll just kick in apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭_CyRuSS_

I'm still only getting 1mbit too, and I could have swore it said 31st August not 1st September? hmm oh well, Hope they do it soon

/Impatient broadband user ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

keep ringing in untill you get someone with a clue i had to call 4 or 5 times today before i got someone to do it.

now on 1.5mb

Your current bandwidth reading is:

1.42 Mbps

which means you can download at 181.46 KB/sec. from our servers

:p:p:p:p:p

Hmmm they did it over the phone with you?

Okay will phone them tomorrow if it still hasn't updated itself... too tired to bother now, too lazy to look for account number bleh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Whats the easiest way to cheeck what speed your on?

Cheers
    Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

I rang them this morning at about 10:30 and told them I was still on 1MB and it should have been upgraded to 1.5MB. They said blah blah blah very busy and so on and that they would call me back soon. They still hadn't called me back by 5pm. So I rang them again and was told that they are still very busy and had till 9pm before they had to ring me back. I told them I wanted to be put on hold till they were able to answer my questions.

Suddenly I wasn't even able to get on to the internet. I took this to mean that they were trying to sort out my modem from there side.

Then eventaully a girl with a nice voice asked me to do the rebooting and unpluging routine (as if I hadn't already done that 10 times). Still not working. She then had me on my knees looking for the Mac address of the modem.

Read it out to her and then she said "oh, we have the wrong Mac address here. Try the rebooting/unpluging routine again." Which I did and... ta da its now running at 1.5MB !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

The easiest way to check if your broadband has been upgrade is to check your modem settings

The address is http://192.168.100.1/
    username : root
    password : root

Select Cable Modem Information and then Operation Configuration you should see something like see attached file

Also an excellent program for doing speed checks can be found here
    www.broadbandspeedtest.net

That won't work on all modems. I got cable with ntl years ago and back then they used a different modem, and I was forced to buy it :\ The modem I have is a Terayon TJ210, doesn't have any web interface :(

MickFarr wrote:
    The easiest way to check if your broadband has been upgrade is to check your modem settings

The address is http://192.168.100.1/
    username : root
    password : root

Select Cable Modem Information and then Operation Configuration you should see something like see attached file

Also an excellent program for doing speed checks can be found here
    www.broadbandspeedtest.net

URL works for mine, attached is my Operation Configuration, still on 1mb right after an unplug etc :(

Ok just got off the phone to NTL support and im up to 1.5 now :D:D:D

Anyone on the newer modems should allrdy be upgraded but anyone on the older Terayon modems will prob have to call in and get tech support to sort out the upgrade...

PS when i called first they said i was allrdy upgraded, MAKE SURE you get them to double check everything, took like 3 reboots of machine and modem to get mine upgraded..

It was worth it though :p:p:p:p:p

Misty

Mistmyr wrote:
    Ok just got off the phone to NTL support and im up to 1.5 now :D:D:D

Anyone on the newer modems should allrdy be upgraded but anyone on the older Terayon modems will prob have to call in and get tech support to sort out the upgrade...

PS when i called first they said i was allrdy upgraded, MAKE SURE you get them to double check everything, took like 3 reboots of machine and modem to get mine upgraded..

It was worth it though :p:p:p:p:p

Misty

Okay but how do you know it has worked when you're on the phone to them? I use the old Terayon modem which doesn't have a web interface to tell me what speed it is set at... do they make you do a speet test or something? they aren't always very accurate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

just do an online speed test

or try pulling from ftp.esat.net ftp.heanet.ie

you should pull around 170/180kb/s

Emboss wrote:
    just do an online speed test

or try pulling from ftp.esat.net ftp.heanet.ie

you should pull around 170/180kb/s

Well I am downloading off their newsgroup servers at 1.02mbps, so no change.

I called them and they said everything looked okay and that I should be getting the speed increase, then the guy contacted the cable modem technician people and they said there were a few people having problems getting the upgrade, and that I may be one of them.

He said they had to re-setup the system or something (it sounded like BS excuse to get me to hang up and try later :P) and that they wouldnt have the system reset til tomorrow, and that they'd call me. bleh .... I'll call back tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Getting Ntl installed tomorrow...i went for the 35 euro package..so is it worth it to go the extra and get the 1.5meg line in?....still time i think i could change it.....or can you get it upgraded later on down the road from 750meg to the 1.5m line?.....well its free for first 3 months woo hoo....

The first guy i spoke to wasnt much help, he just gave me the usual line (some users are experiencing difficulties ect.....)
    2nd call got a different guy on phone same story but this time i was rdy, i use a lil program DUmeter. Everytime they said its working as it should i could tell that there was NO speed increase..
    He got another tech person on phone who got everyting sorted after maybe 15 mins....

U just gotta keep tryin with them.....

Good Luck

Misty

mad m wrote:
    Getting Ntl installed tomorrow...i went for the 35 euro package..so is it worth it to go the extra and get the 1.5meg line in?....still time i think i could change it.....or can you get it upgraded later on down the road from 750meg to the 1.5m line?.....well its free for first 3 months woo hoo....
    Is it worth it? I think it is, but that all depends on whether you need it, if you just surf the internet and check email, probably not, if you download alot of big files, linux iso's, mp3's whatever, then the faster speed is always nicer, especially for newsgroups.

You can upgrade later if you want, won't cost you anything and they will do it with you over the phone and it will be instantanious, nobody needs to come over etc..

Mistmyr wrote:
    The first guy i spoke to wasnt much help, he just gave me the usual line (some users are experiencing difficulties ect.....)
    2nd call got a different guy on phone same story but this time i was rdy, i use a lil program DUmeter. Everytime they said its working as it should i could tell that there was NO speed increase..
    He got another tech person on phone who got everyting sorted after maybe 15 mins....

U just gotta keep tryin with them.....

Good Luck

Misty

Yep I use DUMeter also, thats what I was checking when I called them earlier, could tell I hadn't been upgraded. I will start nagging them more tomorrow, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they are dealing with it and will have it done by tomorrow... then I will start pestering them if its not. I am not in that much of a rush, 1mbit is fast enough ...until tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

@ CyRuSS

thanks alot mate for info!

Well the sound of me getting disconnected off IRC woke me up, modem light was blinking offline, it came back up and I am now on 1.5mbps :D YEH! T1 Download speed :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

DUMeter shows me downloading at 1.54mbps (192kB/s). Now nTL need to get going with their 3mbps plan ;) and we will finally match broadband in other countries.

Problem is by the time we get that they will be on 10mbit or 100mbit fibre links.... I hear the US are planning to get that, trying to match Sweden and Asian broadband to home speeds. :eek:

We'll always be behind in Ireland :confused:

Don't be so negative! We're catching up, at least those of us that can get the cable modems are! (see my attached speed, muhahah!).

I agree hurry up & get the 3mb in place!! I was told nothing further until after christmas & should see a 2mb, it'll probably have a slight fee upgrade though I'd say.

• Advertisement

sector wrote:
    Don't be so negative! We're catching up, at least those of us that can get the cable modems are! (see my attached speed, muhahah!).

I agree hurry up & get the 3mb in place!! I was told nothing further until after christmas & should see a 2mb, it'll probably have a slight fee upgrade though I'd say.

I don't know if I'd get 2mbit if they introduce it, it depends on the price, it is not much of a speed upgrade for having to pay for it, 1.5 to 2mbit, we just got that speed differance for free, ;) ... they should just go straight to 3mbps, I think thats what other ISP's do. i'd pay for 3mbps alright, as long as its affordable.

the speed is nicccceeee tho :eek:

Advertisement