Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shels -v- Lille

• 31-08-2004 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

The first leg is at Landsdowne, at 17.30.

HALF FIVE!!!

To suit French TV. In my opinion this is a disgrace. What kind of time is half five on a Thursday to be playing a match in Landsdowne.

I wonder how many of the bandwagoners from the Split and Depor games will be willing to take a half day from work in order to make to Landsdowne for 5.30 through rush hour Dublin?

Landsdowne will be empty. Should be in Tolka, at a normal time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When do they go on sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The Shels board really have no faith in the team. Shels have a superb chance of beaten Lille but the board make it as hard as possible for the team just to make a few extra quid from TV revenue and gate receipts. Imagine the money they'd get if they qualified for the group stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yea i'm disappointed by both them decisions, the time and the venue. what sort of time is half 5?!?!?! where did you get this info btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

thats a stupid time...
    I just hope that Shels can make it a sell out crowd despite the bad timing and get a win at home. They can beat lille

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

What an astonishing mistake to make, and I'm talking more about the venue than the time. Do Shels know anything about football?

There's a huge difference between the attraction of playing Deportivo (a top Spanish club) in a CL qualifier compared to Lille (a mediocre French club) in a UEFA qualifier. There is no extra money to be made from this game by moving it to Lansdowne.

You'd really fancy Shels to beat them in a packed Tolka Park, giving them at least a 50/50 chance of winning the tie. But playing in a half empty Lansdowne will be the equivalent of a neutral venue, and makes Lille strong favourites for the tie overall.

• Advertisement

David Kelly
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1242081&issue_id=11352

SHELBOURNE have been forced to switch their UEFA Cup first round first leg match to Lansdowne Road although chairman Finbarr Flood has rejected claims that the club is merely 'gilding the Lille'.

Although Shelbourne have negotiated what Flood terms a favourable television deal with their French counterparts which has necessitated a 5.30pm kick-off, Irish time, other factors beyond the club's control have forced them away from Drumcondra.

"We know that the floodlights in Tolka Park are not up to the standard of this level of European compeititon," explained Flood.

"The presence of significant television interests and the numbers of media personnel which attended the Deportivo La Coruna match in Lansdowne would cause us to slash the Tolka Park capacity by 1,000 straight away.

"By switching to Lansdowne for what is an awkward kick-off time, I don't think anyone could accuse us of trying to make a quick buck, especially as Lille aren't as big a name as Deportivo.

"And I know that Pat Fenlon and the players won't be happy about moving out of Tolka Park again but we're up against a wall. Almost as important as our impact on the pitch this season has been our impact off it.

"Deportivo said that we treated them with the greatest respect of any team they had encountered in their years playing in Europe, and they've met the best. So we need to maintain that progress this season and playing this match in Lansdowne Road is a logical extension of that aim.

"Even if we kept it in Tolka, those who couldn't get tickets because of the presence of extra media or TV people would lash us anyway, so we can't win. This way, anyone who wants to come along can do so in peace."

On the pitch tonight, Shels face a tricky trip to Waterford (kick-off 7.30), as they bid to erase the disappointment of their dramatic FAI Cup exit last Saturday night and concentrate on their other domestic priority - retaining the league. Manager Pat Fenlon intends doing so with the same squad which has served him well over the past month.

"We've spoken to a few players both at home and in the UK but they're all looking for crazy money, with everyone thinking we're loaded after our European run," said Fenlon.

"But I've got a limited budget with strict wage guidelines, so unless something changes tomorrow, we'll settle for what we've got."

Waterford have allowed three more players to leave the RSC on loan until the end of the current season, goalkeeper Dave Hennessy returning to Cobh Ramblers and fellow U-21 pair Kenny Browne and Ian Ryan making the move to Kilkenny City.

Formscan: Waterford LLWWL, Shelbourne DWDLL. Last match: St Pat's 2 Waterford 1, Derry 0 Shelbourne 0 (5-3 on pens). This season: Waterford 1 Shelbourne 1, Shelbourne 1 Waterford 0. Top scorers: Murphy (Waterford) 9, Byrne (Shelbourne) 13. Verdict: Away win.

Vikings pick up the Chief

THE increasingly desperate attempts of Eircom League Premier Division basement club Dublin City to stave off relegation saw former Norwich City striker Efan Ekoku - known as the Chief - join the Viking ranks.

The 37-year-old striker, whose most recent experience of senior football was with Brentford last season, had spells with Norwich City and Wimbledon in the Premiership.

He joins the club, ten points adrift at the bottom of the top division, on the recommendation of Carlton Palmer. "He's a good friend of Carlton and he'll do a job for us," said boss Roddy Collins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Can't see the huge issue with 5.30 start.
    The 7.30 kick off doesn't suit people in the South of country at all (Cork, kerry, Waterford, Kilkenny etc...) & we still manage to get to all the games.
    Case of living in the comfort zone maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kilkennycat2004 Are you a Shelbourne supporter?

I am assuming the answer is "no".

I am however, and as you may or may not know, Shelbourne are based in Tolka Park, this is located on the North Side of Dublin, ergo, much of Shelbourne's fan base is from the North Side of Dublin ( it doesn't matter how many people this includes, this is a side issue ).

Lansdowne, however, is located on Dublin's South Side, about the same distance from the City Centre as Tolka Park is, but in the other direction ( Tolka Pk is D3, Lansdowne Rd is D4 ).

Now, the problem with a 5.30 kick off is that many Shlebourne fans will have to travel to the game, accross Dublin City at rush hour. Another problem is that in order to make it to Lansdowne for 5.30, a lot of people will have to finish work/school early to make the kick off time. It can take up to an hour to make it through Dublin City Centre at rush hour ( whatever method you use, DART, Car, on foot I'd say Lansdowne is more than an hout from Tolka, but we all dont live in Tolka Park ). Which means people will have to finish work/school at sometime around 4 o'clock, probably earlier, in order to make it.

The kick off time alienates the real Shels supporters, taking them out of their home ground, and putting them in what will essentially be a neutral venue. Would you be prepared to make the same journey if you did not support Shelbourne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

seansouth wrote:
    kilkennycat2004 Are you a Shelbourne supporter?
    I am assuming the answer is "no".QUOTE]

Sean I'm a Waterford UTD soccer supporter. Probably before your time but we played European games v Galatasaray, Celtic & Man u in lansdowne a lot further away than Tolka . Games were all at 3pm & we got their.
    The point i'm making is that ye Dublin fans don't know how easy ye have it.
    half the premier clubs in Dublin area & all international games at home.
    I'll be in Buckley park Friday nite at u-21 & Saturday in Lansdowne.
    Compared to us ye have it so easy & still moan.. Same with the Dubs when away from Croker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Sean I'm a Waterford UTD soccer supporter. Probably before your time but we played European games v Galatasaray, Celtic & Man u in lansdowne a lot further away than Tolka . Games were all at 3pm & we got their.
    The point i'm making is that ye Dublin fans don't know how easy ye have it.
    half the premier clubs in Dublin area & all international games at home.
    I'll be in Buckley park Friday nite at u-21 & Saturday in Lansdowne.
    Compared to us ye have it so easy & still moan.. Same with the Dubs when away from Croker.

I know what you are saying KC. But I think the point is that Shelbourne shouldnt be looking to change kick off time or venue just to make a few quid out of this. The should be looking term on this tie and aiming for the group stage. Last time was fine cause it was a little unrealistic to hope to beat depor over the 2 legs. However Shels have a definite chance of knocking out Lille. To do this they need to give themselves every chance and that means winning the first leg (preferably without conceding an away goal). I think everyone would agree that they have a better chance of winning the first leg if
    A) the game is on in their home (packed) venue of Tolka Park
    B) The kick off time is their usual kick off time of 7.45. Allowing fans plenty of time to get to the ground and also allowing the players their usual pre match routine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

There is no extra money to be made from this game by moving it to Lansdowne.
    Considering they have to pay the IRFU a certain amount they'll probably make less money.
    seansouth wrote:
    Which means people will have to finish work/school at sometime around 4 o'clock, probably earlier, in order to make it.
    You've just reminded me that people will be leaving work and straight down to Lansdowne. The place is going like a funeral parlour, full of suits and as queit as you'll get. We all know a few drinks get people singing and I can't see many people heading to the pub before the match.

As a Eircom League fan I think Shels should do whats best for the club. They have to weigh up the pro's and con's of everything.

The main objective has to be to get into the group stages of the UEFA cup and they have a very good chance to do it. They need to get as many people watching the game, both for revenue for the club and to show that the E.L isnt a waste of time and play well against clubs in Europe (e.g. display against Deportivo for 1 and 1/2 games).

Obviously they must think that there will be more supporters turning up than the capacity of Tolka. Also they might as well avail of the cash from French (& maybe RTE) T.V. Tolka isnt suitable for T.V and means less fans can watch and support Shels :(
    "Deportivo said that we treated them with the greatest respect of any team they had encountered in their years playing in Europe, and they've met the best. So we need to maintain that progress this season and playing this match in Lansdowne Road is a logical extension of that aim.

A good example of Shels being professional and deciding on the right option. With the pitch being narrowed down to Tolka parks size and extra supporters, Shels should get a win
    :D

Advertisement