Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole trader vs Limited company ques

Options
  • 31-08-2004 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Someone told me you can Claim a wider variety of business expenses as a sole trader than you can as a limited company. Is that correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine it's down to individual circumstances. A company is a separate legal person and therefore anything it buys, it owns, whereas an individual can to a degree fudge things.

Borrowings (to buy shares) might be taxed differently - if hte company is listed, you can't write off the interest.

One thing to watch out for is the different taxes paid. A company will need to pay Corporation Tax, Dividend witholding Tax and PRSI (and CGT), whereas a sole trader will only pay low rate PRSI.

VAT registration will make a difference (sole trader and company can register).

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

hi

I want to setup a limited company....where do i start? I heard there is a website that will sort out most of the work for you...anyone know it?

If not where do i start from there

Tks

Dwayne

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

There's plenty - see the golden pages even under "company formations"

I use the Law Society service - its pretty good. www.lawsociety.ie

Advertisement