Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boards.ie News/Media awards

• 01-09-2004 12:07am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, firstly, let me say that this is just a small idea that has been running through my head lately, and its by no means certain. So its open to suggestion (the point of this thread), could be completely changed, and may not even happen!

Basically, who here would support the idea of giving out a few media related awards, voted for by anyone who visits here, covering all angles of Irish and international media. Naturally, there wouldn't be any big ceremony (or any, for that matter), no actual physical award, and it wouldn't be all serious stuff.

I'd just like to voice the opinions of the people here on the media, so anyone interested would be able to see what we all think of the media goings on, and who knows? It might just make a difference!!

So, heres a few suggestions for awards:
    Serious stuff like best daily paper, best national radiostation/tv channel, best Irish news website.
    And more jovial stuff like Most non-story of the year, best pun, media moron of the year.

So, anyone with ideas on how the awards should take form, or if they should at all, post here.
    Also, give ideas for award catagories, and even what we should do to notify the winners (I'd be happy to send them all letters informing them!), please add too. Just basically, give me your suggestions/feedback on the idea of an annual news/media awards.

Depending on how things go here, I'll sort some things out, and get in touch with any admins/mods where needs be. This could just fade away, or it could become as big as the IRMA's!!!:p (not that hard, really) :D:D

flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Definatly dynamic scripting would be the way to go, unless you want to clog up the board with voting polls ;)

Maybe about a month or two in advance, allow people to submit recommendations for nominees, providing links in the case of websites. A small reason as to why would be nice as well (so as to avoid "I v0te 4 teh Sun cos ther b nice b00bi35 in it..." type situations...)

But you can't go without an awards night, even if you have to tie it into a Boards Beers event ;)

As for catagory suggestions, a few seconds in Notepad threw these out
    Best Daily Newspaper
    Best Sunday Newspaper
    Best Local/Regional Newspaper
    Best Television News
    Best Radio News

Best Local News Story
    Best National News Story
    Best International News Story
    Best Non Story
    Best Reporter
    Best Weather Presenter ;)

The David McWilliams Award for Best Topical\Current Affairs Program

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

well the way I had it running in my head would be the following:
    We all agree to set catagories in this thread, soon, I start a thread looking for nominees, which runs for a few weeks. Once I've gotten enough nominees for each catagory (or cut back nominees to a respectable amount), voting begins. I would like to avoid numerous threads with polls, and so working that will have to be thought about, and I would also like to keep the catagories as lean as possible, just have what we need, but cover as many angles as we can.
    As far as having a ceremony... well, it would be nice... In my head I piture a huge show at the point, with all the top brass of media there hoping to win.. but thats not going to happen! Seriously though, encorporating it into a beers event is something I'd like to avoid, just because it wouldn't really suit. Im sure the people at the beers dont want an awards ceremony going on when it has nothing to do with them (it would be different from a general boards awards which related to posts and so on), but I cant see there being enough interest to have a seperate event either, and I dont think we could talk any of the nominees into attending, so we'd be clapping the walls!! If anyone feels otherwise, please tell me!

I do like your David McWilliams award.... but wouldnt it have to be presented to him first? Does he have any programmes left?!!
    could be a retroactive award, I suppose!

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well, in fairness, the idea of incorporating it into a BB was said in jest more than anything...

As for the David McWilliams Award, I think the play with honorary awards isn't so much that they have to be awarded to the named person at any point, but rather are awarded to people who share and maintain the persons efforts in the field. He could always be invited to present it?

Well, in fairness, the idea of incorporating it into a BB was said in jest more than anything...

As for the David McWilliams Award, I think the play with honorary awards isn't so much that they have to be awarded to the named person at any point, but rather are awarded to people who share and maintain the persons efforts in the field. He could always be invited to present it?

ah yeah, I know it was only in jest, but just for anyone who actually did think it would work at the beers.
    We could get him to present it... but then we'd need an event!! Seriously though, I suppose you've gotten the honorary award thing there, so thats fair enough. I'll give the D man a ring, see if he's free ;)

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

BEST INDEPENDENT(non-union rag) STUDENT NEWSPAPER
    BEST STUDENT MEDIA WEBSITE

Both of these awards would help legitimise demands for the NUJ to hand out press passes for non media studies students that are involved in STudent Publishing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

how about the "least worst" media awards

chewy wrote:
    how about the "least worst" media awards

:D
    Do you want to do the counting?

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

gom wrote:
    Both of these awards would help legitimise demands for the NUJ to hand out press passes for non media studies students that are involved in STudent Publishing

I'll quit the NUJ if they do.

Why would a trades union for journalists hand out press passes to unpaid non-trainee journalists? This would resemble turkeyhood holding a referendum on a constitutional amendment to recognise the legitimacy of Christmas.

ok, I'm going to sticky this, there are a few good ideas here and there, but I don't know if the support is there yet!

flogen

I'm really keen on having some kind of awards, but I think for the time being, it should be limited to say 5 awards for the time being (for a number of reasons, mainly because this is the first ones and they always start small as a tester, and because too many stickies on the forum will just cause hastle).
    Draft awards are:

Best National Daily Newspaper: Simple enough really. The best National Newspaper that runs daily (I would consider Daily as at least monday - friday).

Best News Source: This would apply internationally and would refer to the best place for getting news. This would include stations and agencies. RTE, BBC, AP, Reuters would all be included.

Best Student Media Venture: OK, the wording of this award could change, but for now it would cover any media produced by a college course/group. This would include annuals, papers, magazines, documentaries, radio shows... anything really. I'd say the best researched, presented and utilised idea would be the most deserving winner.

Best PR Stunt/Spin: Something a little more light hearted here, basically deciding what was the best PR stunt of the year. So it might be something someone did to get their new single some promotion, or to avoid controversy etc. It could even be politics related, taking the greatest spin made during that year by a person or party (internationally perhaps).

The David Williams Award For Best Topical/Current Affairs Show: It is what it is, in honour of one of Irelands greatest modern journalists, an award that covers both TV and Radio shows. Rules out TV3 there I suppose.

Now the suggestions box is still open, so please give your opinions on the above. If I think more awards are needed then fair enough, but for the time being I want to keep it as lean as I can.
    Whatever awards are decided upon, I hope to request nominations from yourselves soon enough, and then shortly afterwards the voting will begin on the chosen nominees.

flogen

• Advertisement
Advertisement