Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freerunning/Parkour

Options
  • 01-09-2004 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Is there anyone out there interested in freerunning or actually doing it in Dublin? there seems to be a pretty big network in London and spread out throughout the UK and I was wondewring if theres anything going on over here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭DrColossus

what exactly is free running. is it just getting from A to B?. can you push etc???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 idiotproof

I don't know if you saw a documentary called "Jump London" or the BBC ad with the guy lagging it across rooftops to get home to watch tv. Basically its a sport in the style of skating but without rollerblades

Check out: urbanfreeflow.com

I don't know if you saw a documentary called "Jump London" or the BBC ad with the guy legging it across rooftops to get home to watch tv. Basically its a sport in the style of skating but without any blades or boards or bikes, like the usual urban sports it'll focus around steps rails and any other concrete crap that people can jump off, over, under etc.

ripped from parkour.org

"Around the end of the 1980s, David Belle, son of a professional soldier, sowed the seeds of what was to become a international phenomenon. Struck by a desire for complete freedom, a young Belle began to develop his skills in a forest, while still living in the countryside.

Subsequently when Belle's father relocated to the Paris suburb of Lisses, he was forced to adapt his skills to an urban environment.

Belle describes the sport as "a way of using the obstacles found in one's path to perform jumps and acrobatics... everything must combine speed, fluidity, aesthetics and originality." Others see parkour as more than just as sport, embracing the freedom realised by the activity as part of a wider lifestyle and philosophy.

It is also sometimes referred to as 'urban obstacle-coursing' or 'free-running'.

The key objective of parkour is to create a 'run' where a series of obstacles are overcome in a creative, athletic, fluid and acrobatic manner. The runs are typically composed of jumps, vaults, aerial spins, and wall runs, but the only real limit is the ability and creativity of the person undertaking the run (the traceur).

Parkour in the UK came to attention largely as the result of a BBC promotional film, Rush Hour, featuring Belle; and subsequently a Channel 4 film, Jump London, featuring three French traceurs (including Sebastian Foucan, a co-creator of the sport alongside Belle)."

Everything I've seen of it seems to kick ass and was wondering if any of it was going on in Ireland/Dublin

Check out: urbanfreeflow.com
    parkour.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭DrColossus

hey, thats pretty crazy. I suppose ya could give it a go yerself, we did that kinda stuff when i was a kid. in the countryside there's loards of natural obstacles. Twas great craic. T'would be a bit different in an urban setting id imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

What they showed in the video was amazing. Mind you, a lot of it was in the camera positioning. It takes a huge amount of confidence as some of the places these guys were running were crazy!

You can buy the DVD from Play.com here:

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=163420&source=846

The music in the DVD is superb too. Must say it interests me as it's more accessible than skating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭scoby

I'm in Dublin and have done a bit of parkour.
    That said I found it really difficult to be out and about on my own
    trying to master some of the techniques.
    I've set up a website Parkour Ireland for people in Ireland who want to do this kind of thing
    and I moderate a bit on the urbanfreeflow boards.
    The Irish site is at that horrible in-between stage where it exists but nothing works yet :/
    There's lots of people I've heard from who want to have a go at this but,
    like myself I suppose, it's difficult to just get out there and do it.

I'm living in rathmines at the mo' If you're anywhere near let me know.

I'm still a real beginner when it comes to actually doing any moves.
    I've met guys who said the same thing and then proceeded to to do running front flips off park benches.
    I'm really up for getting some regular training done and building up to a level so that I don't mind going out and doing some on my own.

If you want to meet up sometime and have a go there's a guy I've heard from in Drumcondra as well, we should try and make a day of it.

let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I'd love to do it. Seems great plus would develep so many muscles + balance.

<- blanchardstown

I'm proposing a meetup/jam this Sunday the 19th of September
    at Iveagh Gardens off Harcourt Street, Dublin 2.

Don't worry about being able to leap from buildings or triple somersault. ( I certainly can't )
    The park is a nice spot to practise rolls, vaulting over park benches and railings and from there we can move around to a few spots that are within easy walking distance.

I'm thinking maybe an 11 or 12 o' clock start would be best. If you have any interest in Parkour please try and get along to this.
    If we can get together and try out some moves we should all learn from each other and have a great laugh as well!
    If you're worried about getting started, come along to watch, take photos or just chat. I'm thinking of burning a few cds with a selection of the best Parkour videos from around the world.
    Would anyone be interested?

I've copied this from Parkour Ireland site
    any Q's or comments? just let me know...

cant actually make it but whos going.. ?

Hopefully IdiotProof, r0cker my mate Rob and Myself will be there.
    Not too many I know, hopefully we can get a few more for the next time and make it a regular thing.
    Having a few pics of people practising in Dublin might motivate a few others you never know ;)

• Advertisement

well did ye go?

Only idiotproof turned up but it was a good laugh
    and my legs are really sore :) not used to more than 5 mins exercise at a time
    I put a write-up on the Parkour Ireland site

We're hoping to make this a weekly thing so if you're avail next Sat or Sun let us know and we'll have another go.

did u know idiotproof before boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭casso

Hey, Myself and a friend are into Parkour, won't be around this weekend but will the following one.....let me know if there are people going then.

Mear: I only met IdiotProof because of this thread

Casso: Sounds good, I'm definitely up for next weekend ( Saturday 2nd /Sunday 3rd ) Any preference for either day?

Are you a mate of vin's btw? I remember you registered that name on the Parkour Ireland site

The site is down for the moment unfortunately but I'm doing my best to get it up and running again soon. People seem to be talking mostly here anyway...

Ye, I'm vins friend. Either day suits me really, so whichever is best for everyone else is cool with me.

Anyone fancy meeting in iveagh gardens tomoro (saturday) afternoon? Myself and vin are goin so far.

Sorry lads,
    I'm completely banjaxed with flu at the moment :(
    so I'm not doing anything this weekend

Did casso and vin meet up on Saturday? let us know how you got on

Sorry wasn't able to get out to Iveagh Gardens at the weekend, dying of a fluey chest infection jobby, anything on this weekend?

I should be better by this weekend (I hope )
    IdiotProof, Casso are ye on for a wee Parkour Session?

• Advertisement

still kinda dying but up for a runabout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mantis

hey lads,

i'm just reading the posts on you lads meeting up in dublin..

who's found any decent places to run yet?? i'm thinkin maybe UCD..

i'm living near coolock but do a bit of climbing in UCD, if there's any meeting happening be sure to post em up..i won't be around for the next 2 weeks but after that...

keep on runnin
    marco

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭3-D Preacher

So I was walking down an alleyway type o' thing off shop street on my way to the net place I'm typing this in, and these two guys were vaulting up a wall and off the top of a phone box (which wobbled alarmingly).

Ladies and Gentlemen, Galway has Parkour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ActionMan

hey guys,

whens the next dublin meet happenin? Would love to come along, i got nothin fancy goin on yet but i do love to jump!

Hope to see y'all soon.....

Haven't done any Parkour in yonks now but it looks like the sequel to jump london will air soon
    from urbanfreeflow
    Jump loandon's sequel "JUmp Britain" will air at 10pm Thursday January 6th, 2005 on Channel 4. It will then be repeated at 8pm on Saturday January 15th, 2005 on E4 immediately followed by The 'Making of’ at 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I like this sport/lifestyle, If i was younger and didn't have dependants i would give it a go, looks kind of like sk8tng without a board.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭patjunfa

Tried to look at that Irish Website http://www.redbranchknights.com/, but all I can see is stuff bout chess. I'm in Bayside on the Northside, Do people meet up and practice anywhere? I wouldn't mind hooking up with some people and giving it a go. Used to love that type of thing. Just seen "Jump Britton" on Ch4, Brilliant, I'd say it will provoke a good interest. That's what had me search for it on the web just now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bobalicious

I've been doing this kinda stuff for about two years now, it wasn't untill I saw Jump Britain tonight that I realised that it was an actual sport!!!

And I get the same page as Patjunfa when I try to get into redbrancknights.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Memphis21

Hey all,
    Just saw jump brittan on ch4. very cool, i am so excited about doin parkour.
    Is there anybody who meets up to free run? would love to get involved in this. got the same thing when i tried Parkour Ireland. I'll keep an eye out for some info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

hey

I just watched that Jump Britain myself, and like yourselves was looking for the Irish site. If you go to www.urbanfreeflow.co.uk its the UK site for the the Parkour association Urban Free Flow (or something like that) anyway I'm finding it really useful with loads of info - plus their messageboard is handy. They've an irish section where the guys doing the irish site posted about moving redknights - its at www.parkour-ireland.com, but seems to be in its infancy.

There's loads of people like ourselves just checking it out at the mo, tons of newbies (or Strawberries apparently we're called!) posting and there's a special thread. Go have a look folks - I'm fascinated and loving reading more! Havent posted there but might see ye there soon - or when I have time anywho! Hopefully this thread will keep going too, so I'll keep an eye out here and on the Ireland thread at Urban Free Flow (go to the forum, Local-Action Elsewhere, there's an Ireland thread)

Advertisement