Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Defenders for Newcastle

• 01-09-2004 8:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

So we are four games into the new premiership season and newcastle find themselves in a spot of bother it would seem.
    1) They sold Woodgate (good business it seemed!) but neglected to sign a replacement
    2) Shepard decides to try and buy Wayne Rooney(probably should have put the effort into looking for defenders!)
    3) They sack Bobby Robson.

So with no manager, a chairman who wants to pick the team and no new defenders signed before the transfer window closed,

what do you think will happen to newcastle's season?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I think it depends on who they get as manager and how quickly they can pull things together. Also, I can foresee the new manager dipping into the market for a defender (or two) in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

January could be a bit late for bringing in players - they could be in serious trouble by then as this was a terrible time to sack the manager.

A no confidence vote had already been given in deciding not to renew the contract so they should have been planning ahead. In general the club is in a good position - probably better then when Robson took over but they could struggle upto Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Any manager will have up to 20 mil to spend on new players! better sacking Robson before he spent that.....why give him 20mil for new players if he is gone before Jan.......let new manager spend it on players he wants!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

i agree nielbrady better to give new manager €20, but as p.pete said january could be a bit late. Newcastle could struggle to finish in the top 5-8 since they can't buy any defenders until the transfer window reopens.
    i could be wrong here but wasn't it possible to do a loan deal outside the transfer window for up to 3 players last year(i'm not sure)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I think it's fair enough to give the money to the new manager but I also think it is likely that Sheppard will sign who he wants without necessarily listening to the manager, Robson or otherwise.

• Advertisement

Newcastle have 2 good of a squad to struggle.....teh loss of Woodgate isnt really that bad....how many games did he actually play in last season? 15?? so O'Brien and Bramble/Hughes had to play most of the games!! with the addition of Carr at right back they should be better!! wud be more worried about new manager than Defenders!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Newcastle have 2 good of a squad to struggle.....teh loss of Woodgate isnt really that bad....how many games did he actually play in last season? 15?? so O'Brien and Bramble/Hughes had to play most of the games!! with the addition of Carr at right back they should be better!! wud be more worried about new manager than Defenders!!

Newcastle are in trouble - they will probably be worse off than last season position wise so its a case of kissing all the CL ambitions good-bye. Its not a case of them going down but its unlikely that they will get any trophies nor will they qualify for the Uefa cup.

If that is all Newcastle fans have to look forward to this season its not much, a nothing season - so they'd be better watching Arsenal matches for the entertainment and just catching the results of Newcastle matches to see where in the middle of the table they will be.

Not a good time to be a Newcastle fan imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

redspider wrote:
    Not a good time to be a Newcastle fan imo.

tell me about it. I was watching the transfer window yesterday like a hawk, expecting newcastle to pick up a quality centre-half but nope!

our only hope is a really good, tactically adept manager who will take no s**t from sheephead!

it's the only way to get the best out of the team.

bramble, O'Brien and Hughes are ok against the smaller teams. but newcastle have not won a game away from home since october 2003!
    they don't have the composure or quality a team like newcastle should have at the back.

evilhomer wrote:
    bramble, O'Brien and Hughes are ok against the smaller teams. but newcastle have not won a game away from home since october 2003!
    they don't have the composure or quality a team like newcastle should have at the back.

Maybe wasnt clear enought.....the team at the moment will be good enough to get them thru to Jan when the new manager can go out and use the 20mil they have sitting there and bring in a few new players....also maybe bring bak Viana from his loan and play him! he only moved because Robson wouldnt play him!! 8.5mil sittin on da bench :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Big Nelly wrote:
    Maybe wasnt clear enought.....the team at the moment will be good enough to get them thru to Jan when the new manager can go out and use the 20mil they have sitting there and bring in a few new players....also maybe bring bak Viana from his loan and play him! he only moved because Robson wouldnt play him!! 8.5mil sittin on da bench :rolleyes:

Where do you think he should play , and who should he replace .

note:the obvious answer taking Robert's place isn't a very good answer at all .

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote:
    Where do you think he should play , and who should he replace .

note:the obvious answer taking Robert's place isn't a very good answer at all .

Maybe replace Jenas! I think he is a better player just hasnt been given the chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Unfortunately i think Newcastle are really going to struggle this season. They will probably finish inside the top 10, but whether they manage to qualify for the UEFA cup through the league is a very difficult question for them to answer.

The squad is a mess, they are all fighting with each other up there.
    The loss of their magager and the way that it happened will have rocked morale and caused more schisms.
    The loss of Woodgate and the failure to sign reinforcements leaves a dodgy defense even more threadbare.
    Newcastle fans are notoriously fickle and could turn on their team if results continue to be bad.

All in all, morale must be terrible up there. Cant see too much good happening for them unless they get in a quality manager (a disciplinarian would be best) ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Newcastle fans are notoriously fickle

I would have thought they were among the most unfickle around.

At the end of each of the last 3 seasons the Liverpool website put up a poll for Liverpool fans to vote for the best (other than Liverpool of course!) fans in the Premiership, and Newcastle won comfortably each time.

Well, they always seem to be whinging either about their players or their managers. Plus they were booing their own player there a while ago (Dyer). Pretty sure i can remember them booing their team off a lot also.

I suppose all fans are fickle to some extent but i just seem to associate newcastle fans with a load of Kevin Keegans.... alternatetively 'Lovin it' and then crying. Mentally instable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Boro wrote:
    Well, they always seem to be whinging either about their players or their managers. Plus they were booing their own player there a while ago (Dyer). Pretty sure i can remember them booing their team off a lot also.

I suppose all fans are fickle to some extent but i just seem to associate newcastle fans with a load of Kevin Keegans.... alternatetively 'Lovin it' and then crying. Mentally instable :)

I think the real reason is you're a Boro fan .
    Seems to explain it more than anything else .

Could be :D

Ok i might be overstating it a bit, but i do think they will struggle this year.

From Football 365
    Look at Newcastle now that Bobby's been shaftoed this season they'll almost certainly do no better than last season and probably a bit worse. The new manager will want all season to work out who he hates and needs to sell. He'll do a bit of business in January but next summer is when the main changes will happen. Then he'll need at least one season to settle them all in. So it'll now be season 2006/7 before anyone can expect Newcastle to do anything.....and then if that season they remain potless as usual, they'll kick this boss out and start again. It's senseless, especially when you consider Robby Bobson is proven as a good manager. Chairmen seem to think that new blood energises a club but this is usually just a short term effect and soon enough the underlying symptoms rise to the surface once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

They should have had a new signing in place as soon as they knew that Woodie to real was a done deal.But there`s always the opportunity to swoop for Ayala come the January window.

Advertisement