Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay To Play? What crud!

Options
  • 08-03-2000 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭

I was reading an earlier post where rumple.. was talking about the game. It sounded REALLY intresting. I was considering buying the game.
    Then I saw that you PAY TO PLAY ONLINE!!!
    Maybe I am just too used to quake and UT but I think that if you buy a companys game then THEY should provide the SERVICE of online gaming to ATTRACT costume!

I for one would love to play Ulima but Ill be damned before I pay to play online. Phone bill is enough along with buying the game ffs.

Sry for this rant but Im annoyed that I cant play this cool game at a reasonable cost -i.e. £30 game price.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Pretty much all mmrpg are pay per month, but your paying your the ability to have 1000+ or so people on at the one time, so the hardware is pretty expensive.

You could check out the free ultima servers, some of which are quite good, but can be kind of lonely places, all that space and so few players to rob.

Perhaps more to your liking will be Neverwinter, which is like Baldurs gate, with players able to move between player servers, and allowing players to do the GM thang.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Your paying to have your characters information stored on thier severs.

Their servers are pretty cool. It's actually 8 or 9 subservers linked together.

And you get what you pay for. Diablo was free, and that game was a complete mess and you were only allowed 4 characters.

Also unlike typical games, when you die you can't just reset the game and restart. You have live with what your dealt.

Lastly some characters recently on EQ were sold on eBay for 2.5-3K dollars, well worth the investment of $10 a month. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I saw that ebay link on Lum,s site as well Hobbes,showed it to a non gaming mate of mine and it blew his mind bigtime.The idea of paying $5000 for a computer games char was to much for him.

http://lum.xrgaming.net

Go get mind blow aswell smile.gif

Apprantly the reason for such a high price is that serious real life cash is made on rare items.

To get the really rare items you need to be the highest level to control an area. (eg. That Manastone that sold for 5K would of required a high level character to get it orginally).

Apprantly some guilds camp out parts of EQ so much that the owners have threatend to ban them if they take over a complete spawn area. There was also rumours of the guild making over 6K a month on loot they managed to get from camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Well since EQ has started,fools have been paying real life cash for items like silver swords and such like.$600 one went for when the game was quite new.

• Advertisement

yea amazing isn't it. And UO2 is supposed to have something like ebay built in.

So walking up to someones vendor and saying "Vendor buy" they will probably say back "Will that be mastercard or visa?"

Advertisement