Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

http://www.telestunt.ie/

Options
  • 01-09-2004 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I have being looking at the website of Telestunt and I'm trying to figure out ...Whats the catch?

It seems too good to be true to be honest.

I know that their 33c a min calls are more expensive than some of the off peak eircom rates (eg UK mobiles), but besides that calls to USA, Asia, Europe etc etc seem to all be free (except for the initial call at a local rate..)

They don't look for CC details and all you are dialing is an 1890 (local)Number, so i can't figure out the catch.

If there is no catch... how do they make any money!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Hi Ciscokid
    Budgettelecoms rates are:
    4.9c/min off peak/wkends & 8.17c/min peak.

Which are in excess of telestunts... so i can see where budget make their money...

However i can't see hoe telestunt make theirs!
    Still as someone who makes a fair amount of international calls... i suppose i shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

geecee wrote:
    Hi All

I have being looking at the website of Telestunt and I'm trying to figure out ...Whats the catch?

It seems too good to be true to be honest.

I know that their 33c a min calls are more expensive than some of the off peak eircom rates (eg UK mobiles), but besides that calls to USA, Asia, Europe etc etc seem to all be free (except for the initial call at a local rate..)

They don't look for CC details and all you are dialing is an 1890 (local)Number, so i can't figure out the catch.

If there is no catch... how do they make any money!

There is NO CATCH! I use them all the time to call the UK. They have saved me a fortune! I don't know how they make money. Maybe their plan is to build a big customer base and then eventually switch from 1850 to a 0818 number (national call rate).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

I have used them for a long time as well.
    They use an 0818 number (4C per minute) to call the Irish Mobiles and a 1890 number for most international fixed lines. They make their money by sharing the money made from the call.

It is well worth dialing 0818 270101 before you make ANY call to an Irish mobile. At home I have East BT with unlimited local and national calls and I use Telestunt for all other calls. I have easily saved 80% over what I used to pay Eircon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I've used Telestunt for a few weeks now for more-or-less-daily chats with Japan. Sometimes the line's a bit echoey, and you can't put the phone aside and run down the stairs to get a book to read out a quote - the line cuts out if it's silent for more than a few seconds. Otherwise, it's grand.

From Ireland, by the way, you normally call 1890-943-123; if you're calling a mobile number, or calling from a mobile, you use a 1530 number - it's on the website, forget what it is at the moment. To call a Japanese landline from a mobile costs 59c a minute, or that's the standard cost of calling a 1530 number from Vodafone, anyway. To call a Japanese mobile from an Irish landline using the 1530 number costs 33c a minute.

• Advertisement
Advertisement