Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV quality of service

Options
  • 01-09-2004 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I have been reading up on the new offering from UTV and I have to say I'm very tempted. Between the free phone calls and the chepest broadband in Ireland I was ready to sign up, but...

You have to sign up for 12 months but what do you do if the quality of service is poor, i.e. unable to make calls because their network is conjested or poor line quality?

It has been mentioned that once you signed up there is no way to dial a prefix to use the eircom (or other) telcos network if/when this happens.

I read in the Irish times to avoid being charged for a call you must hang up after the hour and wait 59mins before calling the number again, but on the website it says hang up and redial???

It has also been reported that 60% of customer go back with Eircom, so are there many ex-UTV customers?

Also, what is the broadband offering like? Does anyone have any problems with it?

Gareth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

From the top:

- You're going to have to sign for 12 months with any provider, not just UTV. If the quality is bad, report it, complain, demand a refund, etc - whatever you would normally do if you are not getting what you've paid for.

- AFAIK, it is a condition of this service that you will not be permitted to use other service providers for the duration of the contract. Check UTV's T&Cs or give them a ring.

- IT got it wrong. To avoid charges, hang up after 59 minutes 59 seconds talking, then redial as soon as you want.

- I'm a current UTV customer, and I've no intention of using Eircom again, so I can't comment there.

- The broadband service is excellent, particularly since they upgraded their backhaul bandwidth recently. I've heard the pings aren't the best, which would be important if you intend to play games online.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,998 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What's this free calls thing about?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gc73

I presume telestunt will still work as you are only dialling an 1890, 0818 or 1530 number and not a prefix?

Stark, you'll find all the information here http://www.u.tv/talk/index.asp?loc=ie and http://www.telestunt.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I'm in UTVipXL service and I haven't had a problem with the telephone at all. The dialup is usually fine, though I seem to get poor speeds regularly, like in the mornings. I rarely get about 37k for example. When I first joined about a year ago I had a lot of disconnect problems but haven't had any since then. However the main reason I use UTVip is that its saves me tons of money. My bill went from about 300 to 100 for the same period. I will be signing up for this new offer on the telelphone calls. Though as soon as I get broadband I'll switch to that obviously. At the moment my line fails the test, so my only hope is that NTL enable my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

As a long time customer of U.TV Internet and telephony services, and now at last I have Clicksilver Broadband.

I can honestly state that IMO they are the best ISP that I have ever dealt with and I am now just delighted that I will no longer have to pay EirCoN directly for my line rental, as I have now signed up for UTV TALK as well.

As for that Journalist, he really need's to check his fact's. As what you have alledged he wrote about having too wait 59 minute's before dialling again, is utter rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 gc73

Well I haven't even signed up yet, but my first impression isn't good. I have sent them emails and left voice messges and still no reply! And that was last week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

You can check it all out online, and even sign up if you wish. What's with the e-mails and voice messages ?...

Advertisement