Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clive Woodward to manage a football club?

• 01-09-2004 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

When I heard this yesterday I thought it was a silly summer story but right now he is meeting the RFU to hand in his notice. It seems he has genuine ambitions to go into football managment, proberly NOT the England job though!

I dunno what to think about this, its a bit mad (Ted) and yet a managers' job is to run a team first and foremost, playing tactics can be learnt esp with a good number 2. Could he get a job (Newcastle?!) once he got this coaching badges, and what the hell would the fans make of it?

Just found this

www.fansfc.com
    Saints chairman Rupert Lowe has revealed that the England rugby coach’s possible involvement in the club will be discussed in a boardroom meeting this Thursday.

Woodward was at the Southampton-Chelsea game last weekend, and it has been reported that he may resign from his current position to focus all his attentions on the Premiership club.

"Sir Clive expressed an interest in getting into football and has looked at our academy and other aspects of the club," Lowe said. "If we can learn from him about motivation, improving individuals and becoming world-class then that would be great. And if we can help him then we are very happy, too.

"Relationships sometimes are not planned - they just grow. He's running the England rugby team for the next 12 months, as I am aware, but I will be discussing his involvement at the board meeting on Thursday."

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

i think southampton want him in a technical director kind of role, try to use some of his experience in rugby and bring it over to see if it can improve football coaching methods. it is really strange. but he could never take over a premiership football team surely?

Saint's Keen to sign Woodward

apparently he has to give one years notice on his contract so this is all a long way off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

woodward

i cant believe it - it is going to happen!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Under the terms of his contract he has to serve 12 months notice, but its thought the RFU will look to get a replacement in as soon as possible.

CW reckons that within 2 years of being in a technical type role with a club like Southampton and having got all his badges etc, he'd be equipped to manage a premiership club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

No doubt we'll see more conversions :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Intersting Move crossing codes from rugby to soccer. I have no doubt he would have his players in great shape mentally and physically but it remains to be seen how he tactically approaches the game .I would imagine they would need someone to assist him in this apsect of management.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I think southampton are after him for his organisational skills,he may move there in some managerial capacity, probably as an Assitant coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

No doubt we'll see more conversions

With a bit of luck, we'll see Tiger Tim (Henman) playing for a premiership club next season.

Advertisement