Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racism against Dubliners

• 01-09-2004 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

I wish to protest the constant tirade against Dublin people on the boards. I believe it constitutes a form of racism. Racism is quite correctly banned from these boards. We are not a city of skangers, they form a minority as they do in all communities throughout the country. It is not a dirty place, see the national survey published yesterday. Treat Dubliners with the respect with which you would like to be treated.

If you think I am going over the top, substitute any derogotary term for a coloured person where you see the word "Dubliner" in many of the posts on these boards and if the post is then racist , it was racist before the substitution and should be banned.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Of course, then you have every gimp from dublin with a chip on his shoulder whining about "boggers" and "culchies".

it cuts both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Dublin isn't a race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

"But 'twas all in good fun!"

I don't mind it. Actually find it funny. They only do it cos they're jealous (and probably bored from having nothing better to do down in their own particular little corner of bog-ville) anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Like everything on boards take it with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Dublin is a filthy place though, you have to admit that. People in Dublin don't really care about how their city looks and have no problem dumping all over it.

• Advertisement

FX Meister wrote:
    Dublin is a filthy place though, you have to admit that. People in Dublin don't really care about how their city looks and have no problem dumping all over it.

Same could be said about other counties.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0830/litter.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

FX Meister wrote:

Well, most European cities actually do a proper job of cleaning up after their citizens. Dublin City Council is useless at this. Those 'Green Machines' are a joke, they just make the pavement slightly damp and leave the ciggerette butts and sweet wrappers on the ground.

And would it be too much to ask for chewing gum to be either banned or heavilly taxed???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I remember being given out to by a a girl from "the country" because *ALL* Dublin people think they're so much better than everyone else and that *ALL* Dublin people believed in the stereotypes of "country people".

Just because *I* think I'm better than everyone else doesn't mean all Dubliners do. :)

(and I haven't even lived in Dublin since I was 4)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

nothing better to do down in their own particular little corner of bog-ville
    Lived in Dublin for a while. Can safely say that the slagging and abuse "culchies" receive from Dublin "skangers/mammy-boys" far outweighs anything the other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

stevenmu wrote:
    I remember being given out to by a a girl from "the country" because *ALL* Dublin people think they're so much better than everyone else and that *ALL* Dublin people believed in the stereotypes of "country people".

Just because *I* think I'm better than everyone else doesn't mean all Dubliners do. :)

(and I haven't even lived in Dublin since I was 4)

Thats becasue Dubliners are better
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Batbat wrote:
    Thats becasue Dubliners are better
    :D

Better than Jesus, was my understanding...

Bethlehem was a pretty dirty city too you know...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

i don't know anyone who would actually treat anyone different because they are from the country or the city. thats not racism. its banter. ban-ter. its like blonde jokes.
    people with any sense will know its just a bit of crack.
    anyway, skangers are always overreacting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Dubliners are all skangers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Obviously.

And non Dubliners are inferior skangers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Well, most European cities actually do a proper job of cleaning up after their citizens. Dublin City Council is useless at this. Those 'Green Machines' are a joke, they just make the pavement slightly damp and leave the ciggerette butts and sweet wrappers on the ground.

And would it be too much to ask for chewing gum to be either banned or heavilly taxed???

Well, Cork was recently found to be the dirtiest city in Ireland.

I do agree with the chewing-gum tax though. O'Connell bridge is just amazing. It's almost art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

Dubliners will make fun of culchies for hours and hours, but if someone says something about Dubliners then they get really defensive straight away.

If you can't take it, then don't give it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

to a standard dubliner there's two places in ireland, Dublin and this mythical place called "down the country".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Well maybe one of the reasons Dublin is so full of skangers is that half of the people in Dublin are from the country!!! :)

Anyway, to show that us Dubliners can laugh at ourselves I'll direct you to these two threads in the Humour forum that I posted in recent times:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=181992

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=177373

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

STFU biatch!! :);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

shup ye geebag ye, gissus a jant on yer bike will ye?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

SheroN wrote:
    to a standard dubliner there's two places in ireland, Dublin and this mythical place called "down the country".
    I prefer the term "beyond the Pale" but the same general principle applies.
    I used to rib one of my friends about coming from those regions. He never really helped himself in the matter because he actually did spend his summers work with actual bog turf. I mean c'mon that's too almost too easy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

What are you all on about? Most people living in Dublin are from somewhere else anyway. These days most of them are foreign!

Dublin people are alright. The place itself needs a shake-up though, in both organisation and appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I recently had the misfortune to spend some time in the County of Waterford ( I am a Dubliner by the way ).

What I experienced was nothing short or Racism.

One "club" in Dungarvan refused me entry, although many locals were allowed in after me. I was not drunk, I had 2 pints in a pub nearby. When I questioned why I was being refused entry, one of the locals said "Coz you're a jackeen". The gorilla on the door nodded in agreement. :rolleyes:

Also, I was staying with a family just outside of Dungarvan, they were lovely, one of my friends met the daughter when away, very friendly people altogether.

However, my friend's friends' boyfriend ( sorry ), was nothing short of vitriolic in his apparent hatred for Dubs.

He wouldn't talk to us, ignored us in the house, and made smart comments to his mates at every hands turn. Effin' Dubs this, Bleedin Jackeens that.

Well here is a nice view of Dublin:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~flukey/DublinCity.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

According to my calculations, you're all idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

arent all generalisations rubbish? ;)

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Why do you care what a load of spud-munchers say about Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I think a lot of other EU citizens take better care of their cities and dont litter as much as we do. Maybe if the corpo clamped down and really went after people littering with fines, and not just dudes dumping their fag butts, then they could afford to better their cleaning systyems.
    In regard to the general topic, I prefer to live in Dublin rather than the country, if someone asks me this I will admit it, I'm not slagging boggers but I just wouldnt want to live in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Are people working under the mis-conception that all dirt, litter etc in Dublin comes from Dubliners?
    You only have to take a look at the main roads, train stations, bus stations, stage coaches etc leading out of Dublin on Friday to get some idea of the number of non-Dubliners who reside here for most of the week and go home at weekends. I'm sure these "itinerant workers" cause their fair share of gum, McD wrappers etc to be strewn around Dublin.

• Advertisement

Flukey wrote:
    Well here is a nice view of Dublin:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~flukey/DublinCity.htm

It would be if the pictures worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Although Dublin has some of the most beautiful people in Ireland living there (Baggot St. after work on a Friday? Mmmmmm...) it certainly and without any doubt has the highest concentration of fuglies. Always strikes me as I walk around O'Connell St. or Henry St. - inbreeding, poor nutrition, or society's preferences colouring my views, who can tell? They are probably nicer than the 'beautiful people' in any case.

Ste- wrote:
    It would be if the pictures worked.

They do.

Sarky, can we view your calculations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭DrColossus

Those pictures are a load of old bollix,Its amazing how the sun makes it look so lovely. I walk up the keys every morn from heuston and the stink is unbearable. If you look in the liffey its full of manky old tyres and god knows what else. The only reason we know its "water" is cos it moves slightly faster than land. Dublin city is NOT a lovely place. The city is not full of skangers but jaysus man, theres an awful lot of them round o'connell st and henry st.

oh and dont take the boards to seriously, we culchies get the piss ripped out of us just as often,

[edit]
    oh yeah and dublin isn't a race, you silly fool
    [/edit]

I don't think too many people take here to seriously. Look at those two threads in the humour section that I posted above. Both relate to Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

oh.god.seriously, if ye heard yourselves ffs, i mean this little island is bloody tiny, we are all the same, there is not enough land between dublin and other places to make ye somehow "better" blah blah blah and vice versa.the whole culchies/ townies thing will go on and on like always... :rolleyes: i guess people need to keep themselves occupied *somehow*.snore.

• Advertisement

Don't forget the southsiders and the northsiders! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

i just think that irish people are very parochial.that can be good in small measures ie for gaa games and whatnot but outside of that, it just gets tiring.

Yes we are parochial, but then as has been said above, we don't take it too seriously! The vast majority of it is fun and banter. That is why rival fans can stand beside each other and slag the hell out of each other at a GAA match. You wouldn't get that happening in every country. The northsiders hat the southsiders, the dubs hate the culchies, the Irish hate the Brits, the Europeans hate the yanks, the yanks hate the world, the martians hate the earthmen, the.... All of it is true and none ot it is true. It is all relative and no one takes it too seriously, here at least. The Irish don't take things too seriously. That can have its problems at times, but we enjoy ourselves and get through it. It is better than being stoney-faced all the time. We like to slag and be slagged. Some people do take it seriously. If you try and slag an American, they take it seriously and don't get what we are at. Slagging each other here is all part of the fun. As we know it is not serious, it doesn't bother people. Dubs and culchies love to slag and be slagged and long may it continue! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

i just think that irish people are very parochial.that can be good in small measures ie for gaa games and whatnot but outside of that, it just gets tiring.

true true, wasn't life a whole lot simpler when we could just nod in disagreement with prods and brits :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Flukey, your'e spot on. I had two things in mind when I posted this thread.

Firstly I wanted to provoke discussion regarding the bias shown by "Boards" in moderating political correctness. Is seems it is perfectly acceptable to use/abuse certain stereotypes but others are protected with undue vigour. For instance I can post "The dirty Jackeen ate my apple" or "The thick Culchie ate my my turnip" but if if post "The lazy Niqqer ate my watermelon" I risk being banned. The auto editor won't even let me spell the word. I maintain that all stereotypes should either be banned or allowed.

Secondly I was doing a personal survey on how many boggies could read. Next week the test will be on joined up writing. :D

BTW Whoever took a rep point from me, you miserable effer, and left the comment "grow a sense of humour" has obviously never visited the humour board. I am a regular poster there and some of my jokes are even funny. Mind you, funny is a relative term. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Hagar wrote:
    I wish to protest the constant tirade against Dublin people on the boards. I believe it constitutes a form of racism. ...Treat Dubliners with the respect with which you would like to be treated.

Its more begrudgery. Most non-Dubliners believe that they are hard done by compared to Dublin when in fact the opposite is actually true. There are country towns that have vastly better commuter bus services than smaller Dublin suburbs, for example. And vast swathes of Dublin have little or no access to services such as public swimming pools, etc, whereas most large country towns have them. Parish-pump politics sees to it that there is a perception that country folk are hard done by. Not the case at all. Dublin gets far less in structural investment per person than the rest of Ireland, and in many years has had far more redundancies per head of population.

Having said that, I've lived outside Dublin for most of the last 8 years and find that many people are surprised at why a Dubliner would want to live in Cork or Wexford or wherever? Its such a shame that so many people from the regions see Dublin as the be-all and end-all. Its not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

FX Meister wrote:
    In regard to the general topic, I prefer to live in Dublin rather than the country, if someone asks me this I will admit it, I'm not slagging boggers but I just wouldnt want to live in the country.
    Dublin is in Ireland. Ireland is "the country." So you are technically living in the country already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Good christ - no I'm not. I've electricty, running water, and sewage! (Not a septic tank out back.) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

seansouth wrote:
    I recently had the misfortune to spend some time in the County of Waterford ( I am a Dubliner by the way ).

What I experienced was nothing short or Racism.

One "club" in Dungarvan refused me entry, although many locals were allowed in after me. I was not drunk, I had 2 pints in a pub nearby. When I questioned why I was being refused entry, one of the locals said "Coz you're a jackeen". The gorilla on the door nodded in agreement. :rolleyes:

Also, I was staying with a family just outside of Dungarvan, they were lovely, one of my friends met the daughter when away, very friendly people altogether.

However, my friend's friends' boyfriend ( sorry ), was nothing short of vitriolic in his apparent hatred for Dubs.

He wouldn't talk to us, ignored us in the house, and made smart comments to his mates at every hands turn. Effin' Dubs this, Bleedin Jackeens that.

growl hiss spit stupid dungarvan

everyone ive ever had the misfortune to meet from there or indeed the people who love the town and the people *o so much* are scum and so horrible. drug abusing, child molesting, girlfriend beating, gay bashing, inbred ugly, annoying, stuck up, stupid, heinous cretans.

its a waterford thing in a way. they all think they are better then everyone else cause they win a couple of gaa matches. yankers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Your sig is perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Flukey wrote:
    Sarky, can we view your calculations?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 evilbubbs

im just of the opinion that 95% of IRISH people are complete FUPPETTS
    the ones that remain are tolerable at best.

as for generalisations and the like. well lets put it like this, i wouldnt start throwing round names about other ethnic groups, but seeing as its irish people arguing the point, it doesnt matter.

for the record i dont care what any1 says knackers arent an ethnic group that re unique etc, they are people who dont want to live in a settled place full stop. (theres another bunch to pick on if you really want to go for a laugh.)

OK Sarky, I suppose we'll have to wait until the full report of your findings has been completed and studied by experts in the field before you can release them to the international media and the world. OK, I can wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Flukey wrote:
    by experts in the field

What do you mean by that ? ;) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

points.

Like all these towns with their fantastic sports facilities and uber transport services.

<chokes on laughter> Towns have hinterlands that they support. Hence (for example) the public pool in tralee does tralee (20,000 plus) and a considerable hinterland. So some people travel great distances to use this facility.

Now, are you telling me that 99% of dubliners aren't more than an hour away from a public pool by public transport (which, incidentally, tralee hasn't yet been graced with).

I live in Dublin. I really like it. But the place (in typical irish fashion) is so badly run. People from outside Dublin see cash cows like the Luas and get resentful but thats always the way. Don't take it seriously.

Lets just all live in peace and harmony.

• Advertisement
Advertisement