Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wirelessing a BB connection

• 01-09-2004 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Guys Hi,

I am new to wireless and have a question.

I thought I could buy a Wireless Router, plug in the telephone line, plug in the laptop & configure the router, then disconnect the laptop and use my wireless card to access the BB with the router sitting there not connected to a pc.

I was in Maplins this morning looking at a router and asked the guy, can I do this? He said, "Well yes but its a lot of hassel".

Can I do this?

Im pretty good with PC's, I promise :D

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

how.

is um heap big piece of piss. big chief yossarin say Maplins guy not good with computers. don't trust devil man

do it - theres even an bunch of previous posts here comparing best routers to use for this setup. There are security concerns (sharing your connection, etc.), but these can be fairly well mitigated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

splay wrote:
    Guys Hi,

I am new to wireless and have a question.

I thought I could buy a Wireless Router, plug in the telephone line, plug in the laptop & configure the router, then disconnect the laptop and use my wireless card to access the BB with the router sitting there not connected to a pc.

I was in Maplins this morning looking at a router and asked the guy, can I do this? He said, "Well yes but its a lot of hassel".

Can I do this?

Im pretty good with PC's, I promise :D

thanks

DSL Connection, yeah?

Easy peasy.

Some Wireless routers are router/modem combos, whereas some are just broadband routers.

The difference being that the combo just plugs straight into the phone line, and does all the config for you, whereas the plain broadband router must be plugged into the DSL modem.
    The vast majority of broadband routers require an ethernet connection to the modem, some may be USB, I'm not sure, but some modems that are supplied by Eircom or whoever are USB only.

I have NTL, so I'm not too sure about that, someone else here should know about it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 splay

I knew it.

I was chattin to our network guy in work and he said, yeah, thats the way its done.

So Im off now to get myself a Wireless BB router and give it a shot.

Wont be visiting Maplins :D

Do you have any links to the udder threads about this.

Thanks agai.

seamus wrote:
    DSL Connection, yeah?

Easy peasy.

Some Wireless routers are router/modem combos, whereas some are just broadband routers.

Thats brill, seeing as I already have the BB modem (IOL with Ethernet) I might just get the Wireless router, I think they are cheaper than the Router/Modem combo.

And thats it then, Im away ??

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

yes.

you may need to do a little configuration of the router. they seem to all be configurable via a web interface - http://192.168.0.1 (check the manual with the router). nothing major though, tick a few boxes.

you may *want* to set a few security options on the router, just to make sure that your neighbour can't use it.

ps, off the top of my head:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=182182

• Advertisement

Bloody brilliant lads.

thanks for the advice.

Will get back and let you know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Go for it, it's piss easy.

I got my router (3com office connect) with a free laptop card from these guys http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/ . It was my first time to buy anything other than CD's over the net so I was a bit concerned but the goods arrived in under a week with no problems whatsoever. :D

yossarin wrote:
    yes.

you may need to do a little configuration of the router. they seem to all be configurable via a web interface - http://192.168.0.1 (check the manual with the router). nothing major though, tick a few boxes.

you may *want* to set a few security options on the router, just to make sure that your neighbour can't use it.
    ^^
    What he said. Companies have copped on now that entry-level networking gear is no longer the domain of lonely nerds or obsessed techies wiring all the appliances in their house together. Most entry-level routers come with simple step-by-step guides.
    The one I have comes with a wizard, so you just plug in your modem, click on the wizard, stick in your login/username, and hey presto! Of course, I didn't use the wizard, cos I'm 1337. I configured mine by using a multimeter to change the voltage across the relevant transistors. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

How does did you achieve a significant voltage change within a transistor using a multimeter? Measure yes, change, no.

Jaden wrote:
    How does did you achieve a significant voltage change within a transistor using a multimeter? Measure yes, change, no.
    I rewired it.

Now, no more questions.

• Advertisement

Got it done lads.

popped into Harvey Norman and picked up a Belkin ADSL Router €130

Stuck it in, did the 168.121... config and all was well.

had to set the VPI & VCI settings, but udder dan dat no probs.

Easy peasy

Advertisement