Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wirelessing a BB connection

• 01-09-2004 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Guys Hi,

I am new to wireless and have a question.

I thought I could buy a Wireless Router, plug in the telephone line, plug in the laptop & configure the router, then disconnect the laptop and use my wireless card to access the BB with the router sitting there not connected to a pc.

I was in Maplins this morning looking at a router and asked the guy, can I do this? He said, "Well yes but its a lot of hassel".

Can I do this?

Im pretty good with PC's, I promise

thanks

Wirelessing a BB connection :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

Whats the BB option you were looking at? Assuming it was ADSL then yes you can but save yourself some hassle & learning by getting a router with a BUILTIN adsl modem, I stress this because a lot of them say hey this is a broadband cable/dsl router but that just means its a router with an ethernet port and then need an adsl modem in front of it connected to the adsl enabled line.

I have used dlinks 604+'s alot & they work fine, it's the one device that gives you the lot, firewall, ports for more pc's (builtin in 4 switched ports), the builtin adsl modem & wireless 802.11b.

Now there are a few other options that are the same but I can't think of any now as it was the dlink one that was the first one to have the built in modem that I cam across, just be careful about the modem part & ask specifically does it have a built in adsl modem or not?

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Following on from what sector said - beware products described as adsl\broadband routers. They almost invariably lack a modem to connect to your phoneline. You can check if your phone line can be directly connected by checking the tech specs for interfaces and make sure it says that there is an RJ11 connector.

One other piece of advice - check out elara before going to Maplin or Peats as you'll probably find the same kit cheaper. They definitely have a 3Com 802.11g unit(modem built-in) with a free usb WiFi key that would suit your needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

We install quite a few of the Zyxel 662HW ADSL router/firewall/4 port switch/802.11g wireless and have found them very good, handy having everything in one!
    I'm using a Netopia 3347W at home, seems pretty good but doesn't have much firewalling built in.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I use a Linksys WAG54g (make sure you get a version 1.2 - one with an on/off switch) which is stable (the previous no power switch version wasn't stable) - it has built in modem, firewall, 802.11g and 4 ethernet ports which makes it easy to setup.

A good place for info is the forum on www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk - they sell various units but also have good forums on the units which include negative discussions as well as positive...also a good general resource for device-specific problems..

I have nothing but good things to say about the Linksys wrt54g.

The best thing is there are plenty of 3rd party firmwares available for it that add extra features like WPA and VPN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

ronoc wrote:
    I have nothing but good things to say about the Linksys wrt54g.

The best thing is there are plenty of 3rd party firmwares available for it that add extra features like WPA and VPN.

Agreed, up and running and never switech on/off since. good security.

Advertisement