Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Illusions buys Trauma Studios

Options
  • 01-09-2004 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

Digital Illusions buys Trauma Studios
    Digital Illusions CE AB (publ) 2004-09-01
    Digital Illusions buys New York based game developer Trauma Studios Inc. The total price is USD 500,000, of which USD 300,000 will be paid upfront and USD 200,000 as a supplement payment in two years. Initially Trauma will work with the development of a concept for a new PC game.

Trauma Studios is specialized in FPS* games. They are best known for their Desert Combat mod of Digital Illusions' hit game, Battlefield1942, which was elected “Best Mod of the Year” in 2002 and 2003 by the gaming site Gamespy.com. Trauma also has developed gaming tools for Electronic Arts and the American Military.

- Trough Desert Combat Trauma showed they are remarkably good at developing products the consumer wants. They understand our technology and are experienced and skillful game developers. This was the major factor to our acquisition, said Patrick Söderlund, CEO at Digital Illusions.

- With Digital Illusions award winning team and Trauma Studios’ talent, I am confident we will be very successful together. We really look forward to being part of the Digital Illusions family, said Frank DeLise, CEO at Trauma Studios Inc.

Digital Illusions buys all assets of Trauma and employ all its employees. Digital Illusions thereby buys the trademarks Desert Combat and Trauma. The purchase price is set to a total of USD 500,000, which will be paid in cash. USD 300,000 of the price will be paid upfront and USD 200,000 as a supplement payment in two years. Today Trauma is owned by founder and CEO Frank DeLise and his co-workers.

Trauma will work with the development of games built on Digital Illusions’ technology produced in Sweden. The focus for Trauma – as for Digital Illusions’ Canadian office - will thereby be on concept and game developing, rather than on developing technology. Initially Trauma will work with the development of a concept for a new PC game based on the Battlefield 2 engine. The companies have been working together since February 2004, and Trauma will continue to develop certain parts of Battlefield 2.

Trauma has nine employees today. According to plan the number of employees will increase gradually to be around 20 persons.

From Digital Illusions

. <- to make up minimum characters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Sweet ass for the guys who set it up. Although I think if they went a few more years they could have gotten alot more for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

i wouldn't think so jim, they would have had to gone in competiton with digital illusions if they stayed seperate for much longer and produce a rival game......anyway 500k ain't half bad between 9 people...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

"Now we can buy even better pc's!"

damn straight, its what i'd do ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

9 guys = $20
    Desert Combat trademark and all rights = €499,980

Nice one for Frank to sell up ,it was always on the cards. Me lays down €100 that the very 1st exp pack for BF2 is called Desert Combat.
    DC guys did a great job but their mapping skills suck hopefully Dice will train em up..

kdjac

• Advertisement

hrm i'd consider taking up that bet, BF2 is effectively DC like, just on a new fancy engine..........though BF2 could be called desert combat?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Were Trauma not effectively nought out by EA about 6 months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

dregin-x wrote:
    Were Trauma not effectively nought out by EA about 6 months ago?
    no i think they were just working together

Advertisement