Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom line tests

• 01-09-2004 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

can eircom do a line test on request to check if a line is sutiable for BB - i thought they were done every month but was on to a guy in eircom and he said he'd ask the engineers to do a test on my line in the next few days. will call back tomorrow to see how it went.

cheers
    luke

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

yes they can, you can also check yourself on the eircom website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

yeah checked on the website said it was unsutitable but i thought when he was reffereing to the line check he ment check it specificly for BB if ya know what i mean - not check the database of numbers that are sutiable but check the line itself?

am i mistaken?

cheers
    luke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

the two sources of information should be the same, (maybe a delay of change between the two), but in eircoms grand plan of things, some areas have not even been designated for bb yet, are are not looking very likely that eircom will move fast enough on this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Generally eircom won't run individual tests on lines, even though there is nothing stopping them from doing so. If you phone up one of the ISPs asking for a line test to be run, they'll just check the database of when all the lines on your exchange were last tested and tell you that result. Any engineer/etc in eircom can run a line test for you within a minute or two of you asking for it to be run, but the trick is in finding these people and cajoling them into helping you.

So, short answer: Eircom can (and sometimes do) run a line test for you immediatly, but it's hit and miss on how you can get them to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

oh and don't forget, Eircon are a shower of bastards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

They apparently use this device that measures line noise and distance from exchange and then calculates the amount of data that can pushed through the line at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I got them to test my line by saying that I tried to order €ircom BB but my line failed and I was told that it could be because all the extra phones on the line, and to unplug the extra phones and ring up for the line to be rechecked. Worked for me line passed a few days later.

Advertisement