Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming Radio

• 01-09-2004 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭

I'm new to this broadband business, just signed up with IOL on the lower end package.

One of the cooler things about it is being able to stream radio from all over the shop from Phantom to some particularily cool stations in Australian. I was just wondering (in general) how much of my download cap will I be using by streaming radio, i.e. (in general) how much for say an hour of radio (in general).

I know there's probably an easy way for me to find this out, but just looking for a (general) rule of thumb. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Listening to Santanta on Live 365 right now! How much capacity you eat through depends on the stream - a 56kps will use half a 128kps stream I have yet to try to do a proper measurement of an hours streaming but I do know that I have'nt come remotely near my 8Gb cap yet. I would'nt worry unless your listening 24hrs a day.

Now its Genesis!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

^ what mike said.

Generally radio streams are around the 64kbit (8kbytes/sec) range, with some higher and some lower. 64kbit is ~25megs/hour.

I recommend the bbc by the by, there's usually something for all tastes between all the stations..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Moriarty wrote:
    Generally radio streams are around the 64kbit (8kbytes/sec) range, with some higher and some lower. 64kbit is ~25megs/hour.

I recommend the bbc by the by, there's usually something for all tastes between all the stations..
    Cool 25 megs and hour is more that acceptable. Unless I go mad.

The beeb is cool in so many ways alright, one of the two British instituions I am most jealous of (along with the NHS).

I get pangs of guilt every so often that I don't pay them a licence fee, I feel it most acutely when I switch on Match of the Day having earlier eschewed RTÉ's poorer add laden offering.

Advertisement