Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celestial Ring tattooists opinions?

Options
  • 01-09-2004 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had any work done in celestial ring and if so what are your experiences with them?
    Any input would be appreciated.

Secondly does anyone know the stigmata studio in Swords? Apparently there is a guy there called Mick who does pretty good Celtic work, reason I am asking is that I am looking to get a lot of Celtic work done (a full sleeve) if I can find a suitable artist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 no way out

I suppose you got your tattoo done by now but anyway, I went last week to have a tattoo in this shop.
    They are excellent!
    My wife did a SUN and I did a tribal sign.
    If you wereen't sure about the shop... Don't be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

no way out wrote:
    I suppose you got your tattoo done by now but anyway, I went last week to have a tattoo in this shop.
    They are excellent!
    My wife did a SUN and I did a tribal sign.
    If you wereen't sure about the shop... Don't be!

I have since started a large sleeve project in ZULU in Temple Bar.
    I know enough about Celestial Ring now to know that they would be fine for a walkin, but not a studio where I would go to get a lot of work done.

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Celestial are fine for piercings - tattoos.... erm.... NO!!!!!

If Celestial & a blind leper who couldn't draw a dot were the last people on earth to give me a tattoo, I'd go with the leper...

besides - celestial's tattoo artists are well known in tattoo circles for ultra shady business such as taking flash, knicking photos from other studios & passing the work off as their own amongst other things...... plus they're talentless skin-draggers!!!!!!!

Stick with Zulu if you're getting stuff done.... you know the boys well enough now to know it'll be done cleanly & properly..... if you were in the Simpsons you wouldn't let Dr Nick operate on you......

Mick in Stigmata - GUY IS AN ARTIST & THEN SOME!!!!!!!!! Well worth a trip out to seeing..... Mick left Celestial apparently because of said shady **** or so I heard from "various tattoing circles" blub ;)

::: ven0mous :::

lol

no lepers for me.

I did get some work done before by Debbie in Snakebite and she is now in CR, that said I had determined not to get any more work done by her....

Gav is doing a great job at the moment and when the one arm is finished I may get him to do more, he works well if he is enjoying what he is doing, and he is buzzing off my sleeve, he cant wait to enter it in the next convention.
    Might see you there.

Mick is a bit far out but I believe he is the man for celtic, I may get him to do some of my body suit ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I wonder what CR did to upset venom so....? I have work by debbie, its lovely. I also have lovely work by mick. Judging artists by which shop they're in is pointless - is the building tattooing you?

• Advertisement

hot2def wrote:
    I wonder what CR did to upset venom so....? I have work by debbie, its lovely. I also have lovely work by mick. Judging artists by which shop they're in is pointless - is the building tattooing you?

There are VERY few tattoo artists in Dublin City who have ANYTHING good to say about CR because of some of the stunts their artists have pulled - well, the only good thing they have to say is they give the others plenty of work by having to fix their screw-ups!!!! :D

I'm sorry, did you just ignore my point?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

hot2def wrote:
    I'm sorry, did you just ignore my point?

Yes, Ven0m please be careful what you are saying. Can you back any of this up or is it just rumour? The Dublin tattooing circle is very bitchy and the slightest thing seems to set off 'wars' between studios.

eth0_ wrote:
    Yes, Ven0m please be careful what you are saying. Can you back any of this up or is it just rumour? The Dublin tattooing circle is very bitchy and the slightest thing seems to set off 'wars' between studios.

Know for a FACT a "certain artist" in celestial ring helped themselves to another artist's portfolio from another studio & tried to pass the work off as theirs......

Also friends of mine from another studio do alot of "re-do's" rfom bad work from CR so often they have often joked about sending them up a thank you card for the extra business!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I got a tatt in CR a few weeks ago, and tbh I was expecting alot more. I wouldn't go there again, the guy doing it also slipped a little so now I've a faint line above my tattoo, which I only noticed when I got back.

• Advertisement

whether or not what your friend thinks is true, it still isn't a good enough reason to slander a group of AFAIK nine artists.

hot2def wrote:
    whether or not what your friend thinks is true, it still isn't a good enough reason to slander a group of AFAIK nine artists.

you know as well as anyone that the industry spends its time slandering others so it really is no different to the daily goings on at any studio......slander seems to be an industry illness.

hot2def wrote:

It's NOT slander - & when that group defends people who steal from other people's portfolios & then pass the work off as their own openly & blatently - I've no time for them... so you can take that whatever way you want.....

anyone who knows anything about tattoo artists knows that they are basically freelance, and NOT responsible for the actions of another artist. so, yeah, its IS slander to point the finger at people who aren't involved.

And yes, I know the tattoo scene in Dublin is a bitchy, back-stabbing, sewing circle. That's no reason to make it worse for the sake of sounding clever on an internet forum....

hot2def wrote:
    And yes, I know the tattoo scene in Dublin is a bitchy, back-stabbing, sewing circle. That's no reason to make it worse for the sake of sounding clever on an internet forum....

I didn't do that so I assume you are talking to someone else, I related a personal experience with one 'freelance' artist who was working in Snakebite at the time and I have no problem recommending snakebite every second post.

no no. I was talking to venom....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Isadora

Venom, Are you seriously expecting us to believe that a group of tattoo artists that move around from studio to studio at regular intervals are all conspiring with one another once they start working in CR to steal the work of others and/or aid and abet another tattoo artist to do so? :rolleyes:

Sounds a little far fetched to me. Are you sure you don't have other issues with CR?

By the way, Mick and Cathal left CR to start their own studio in Swords. And that IS a fact.

Dave, did you think to go back to the studio and have the line re touched? As you are probably aware this would be free of charge and all the artists I know (most of the ones working in Ireland)regularly do touch ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Femme Tattoo.

celestial ring just don't have enough experience behind them in the tattooing division. not one of them is a real "artist", like in the justin russell (zulu) sence of the word. They are "tatooists" certainly, but not artists, unfortunately!
    XXX

Mick and Cahal in Swords are well worth a visit!

I would disagree with your opinion. There are 10 or 11 tattoo artists in CR. Some do celtic, some tribal, some freehand, some gothic, etc. etc. Some do everything.

Agree with you re Mick and Cathal. They rock.

• Advertisement

Yeah, so? they do everything from celtic to tribal and whatever else... that doesn't make them artists, i.e people who are naturally artistic...anyone can tattoo off a trace of flash. They don't have that many artists....

Mark
    Phil
    Debbie
    Jani
    Remis
    John
    Maeve
    Wally
    Trevor
    Robbie

are the ones I know.

To be fair guys Debbies art is stunning, no WAY I would diss the beauty of the work she can turn out. All artists have their off days, my experience caught one of them, and not really artistically, only a few shakey lines and one fading line in one part that stop it being P E R F E C T ( letters spaced out for dramatic effect :P), my gripe is small really.

Wally does a mean Celtic, very few "artists" in Ireland better at Celtic.
    I was going to get some work done by Mark at one point, changed my mind but only because I found somewhere else.
    Mick apparently does the best Celtic in Dublin anyway, therefore possibly the best in the country, although he is now in Stigmata Tau in Swords.

That's the artists I know from that list and I wouldn't diss any of their artistic ability. My only gripe was something that happened and meant I wouldn't give Deb my money again but I almost regret now relating my personal experience as I dont feel that this thread is giving credit where it is due.
    It's a clique thing to a great extent and tis a very very bitchy scene anywhere in the world, I think it's all the testosterone and egos.

:mad: A sample of Mark's work that I found in my files.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I'm not into Celtic design but that is really excellent work from what I can judge on the photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ninel

Seriously, Venom - what did these people do to you that got you such a tizzy? I'd seriously rate a good few of the artists who are currently with Celestial. Snakebite and Zulu have some pretty hot artists too. And of course don't forget Mick & Cathal all the way out in Stigmata-Tau. I am fascinated to know why exactly why you personally would have such a bee in your bonnet about a particular studio?? From what you'd said, the alleged immoral behaviour is private business between two individuals (ie not you!!!!) Unless there's something you're not telling, then you really shouldn't be dissing two studios, and 8 or 9 artists - even if one of them did something dodgy, is that any reason to tar therest of them with the same brush? The less loud-mouth busy-bodies we have bitching and harping on around the tattoo scene the better - if you really want to gossip and back-bite, go find a damn bingo hall! Would you not try posting some positive stuff for a change?

Isadora wrote:
    :mad: A sample of Mark's work that I found in my files.

If you want honesty it's not bad, the linework is dodgy in parts and the blends are less than good.....or did you want me to just go wow yeah I made a mistake?

All artists have their good and bad, I wont go dissing anyone for the sake of it but if you want an objective review of that piece it is not among the best I have seen, although if it were on me I would probably be happy enough.

I appreciate that a lot of artists wont do celtic cos the linework has to be spot on and it is more like printing than the usual style of building a picture with colours and tones and there is less margin for error.
    It is telling that there are very few high quality celtic artists about in Ireland in any case.

I have learned a lot more about who is tattooing in Dublin and what their work is like and what their specialities are since I first started this thread and the last thing I wanted was for it to turn into a slugfest with regard to any tattooist from CR, I was genuinely looking for opinion and not outright attacks based on "what" camp one sits in on the Dublin scene.

So I suggest that chill pills are taken all around and people dont think they need to get into pissing contests.

This thread has gone way beyond it's original purpose and has upset some people, I didn't want that apart from the fact that some of them may tattoo me at some point in the future.
    I suggest that in the future when people give their opinion that they reply if they have personal experience of the artwork that someone produces and not some spurious claims about what the personality may or may not have done, fact is I wanted a critique of art not people really, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Do you know what, take this to PM's or meet up face to face to discuss it

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement