Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Temporary broadband setup in the middle of nowhere

• 01-09-2004 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi

How would I go about setting up a broadband connection (say 2Mbps) in a field 20km from the nearest telephone exchange? I would just need it for a week or two.

Is satellite my only option?

???

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If there no wires then you will have to go wireless.

If you go wireless you will need line of sight to something.
    Satellite needs line of sight to but that's trivial.

8Km WiFi links are easy enough - longer ones a little tricky - needing bigger dishes etc. or better gear (5.8GHz) but can be done.
    But you still need a connect to a point that is sharing 2Mb - is there one ???

Where is the field , what is the time scale - if it is this month then satellite would be your only man.

But if it's only for two weeks.. - you might get more interest if you agreed to setup a permenant link eg: if the field was mid way between two places or you could link into a local community scheme - could even be cheaper than renting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Cheers, satellite it is then. 3G might work too - if we had 3G.

Advertisement