Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Bank Accounts

Options
  • 01-09-2004 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭

Has anybody started setting up their student bank acocunts yet? Some people are saying that if you wait until freshers week you'll get some cool freebies... others are saying it's the same package all year round? I'm thinking about goin with AIB, purely because they have that cool MC2 mastercard. Plus it's 9.9% APR for 12 months. Plus that mastercard looks damn cool.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It is pretty much the same. And if you go now, then you avoid a ****load of queues. Although you might need your student card...cant exactly remember now. I'm thinking about getting an MC2 card, cos the normal AIB student mastercard looks REALLY gimpy. And I've had one for 2 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Yes you do need a student id card. It's a pity I'd like to get one now for convenience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

I'd prefer a VISA card tbh, because Mastercard convert any forigen currency, like Pounds Sterling, into US Dollors, then back to euros.

I'm a BOI customer, and afaik, BOI are the *only* bank to pay the government stampduty on your atm(10e) and credit card(40e) although they prefer to give you a Debt Card (Laser). If you are a current BOI customer, tell them that you are a student to turn your account over (Better rates on student loans and stuff)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

Yes you do need a student id card. It's a pity I'd like to get one now for convenience

It says on their website that you only need your CAO acceptance form?
    I'd prefer a VISA card tbh, because Mastercard convert any forigen currency, like Pounds Sterling, into US Dollors, then back to euros.

I'm a BOI customer, and afaik, BOI are the *only* bank to pay the government stampduty on your atm(10e) and credit card(40e) although they prefer to give you a Debt Card (Laser). If you are a current BOI customer, tell them that you are a student to turn your account over (Better rates on student loans and stuff)

Right now I'm with BOI, with a second level student account. They offered me a mastercard already, but no mention of paying any of the government duties - I'm fairly sure none of the banks do. They do give you free banking (ie no charge imposed by them for having the credit card/making ATM withdrawls/lodgements). I think if you're a student you're pretty much stuck with a Mastercard - unless you go to somebody like MBNA and pay higher rates?

Are we supposed to open an account with the on-campus branch, or just with any branch around where you live?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

as soon as i get mine, i'm heading straight to elara.com.....

• Advertisement

as soon as i get mine, i'm heading straight to elara.com.....

That's what I'm worried about... and eBay, and Komplett and Jes-Computer and about 500 other online places. And losing it. And using it when I'm drunk. And just generally going crazy with it...

Oh I got one of those application forms and it said student id, all the better if I'm wrong though.

Oh I got one of those application forms and it said student id, all the better if I'm wrong though.

Well, I'm only going by their website - cahnces are that when you turn up to the bank you'll end up talking to some clueless person who insists on having passport, birth certificate, drivers licence, college ID, 600 utility bills and records from your other bank accounts. Along with a parents signature.

ah I am wrong the form just needs college name, course and year

wait, I'm wrong again, it also needs a student no. which is 8 digits long. Any idea what that is? This is on the AIB Student Mastercards application form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

You're probably given it when you register... :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

...I'm thinking about getting an MC2 card, cos the normal AIB student mastercard looks REALLY gimpy. And I've had one for 2 years now.

If you check your card you should find it expires very soon, as AIB are introducing cards with the Chip & Pin system for students before Christmas. If you can hold out till then your new card will probably be an MC2 style one...

wait, I'm wrong again, it also needs a student no. which is 8 digits long. Any idea what that is? This is on the AIB Student Mastercards application form.

My CAO number is 8 digits long? When I applied for student accommodation, it asked for "Student No." and they said to put down my CAO number? Could be the same thing? I doubt it'd matter very much though.
    If you check your card you should find it expires very soon, as AIB are introducing cards with the Chip & Pin system for students before Christmas. If you can hold out till then your new card will probably be an MC2 style one...

Or you could just cut it up and report it as "lost" to AIB, they should issue you with a new one in a week or so, probably an MC2 style one.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

I thought of that too, but I doubt it as the CAO isn't important at all after you've gotten your place in university... I suppose we'll see in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

WELL i went into AIB the other say and they said that you need your CAO acceptance thing and any ould photo id (well your passport/driver's license/student card) and they woulda had no problem giving me an account with no student number thing (if i hadn't have forgotten my CAO thingy).

so which bank would i join to get a debit card i could use in tesco that wouldn't let me get an overdraft thing?

cos there's one big-ass tesco in maynooth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

How do I open a Student Plus Account?
    If you are already an AIB customer, call into any AIB branch to convert your existing account into a Student Plus Account.

If you do not already hold an account with AIB, just call into any branch with the following, and fill out an account opening form:

For those attending a CAO college, your Acceptance Offer or your College ID card

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

subway.ie wrote:
    My CAO number is 8 digits long? When I applied for student accommodation, it asked for "Student No." and they said to put down my CAO number? Could be the same thing? I doubt it'd matter very much though.
    In UCD, your CAO number is your student number. I'm gonna assume it's the same elsewhere.
    My card actually runs out at the end of september... They'd better hurry up with the new one!

I say we all boycott BOI with their crappy looking credit cards and go for AIB, with their amazingly cool MC2 cards. And €50 free phone credit!
    so which bank would i join to get a debit card i could use in tesco that wouldn't let me get an overdraft thing?

BOI do a laser card as well as a mastercard - I think the government duty is less on a laser card. BUT you've gotta be a customer for 6 months or more and have a turnover of €127 a month.
    They (BOI) also give you 10% off at Golden Discs (why you would use Golden Discs instead of CDWow I don't know), 10% off at Elverys (isn't that the normal student discount?) and 10% off at Mahers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your CAO number becomes your student number. So remember it. Eight years after the LC, I'm still using the blooming number!!

and as far as I recall, a CAO acceptance slip will do for opening a bank account if you haven't gotten a student card yet.

You are better off opening your account in the college branch, as they will have better advisors etc there than in the local branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭smelly girl

Haha, my brother is a senior in the bank so he's setting it allll up for me!
    don't have to visit bank or find any ****e or forms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

In UCD, your CAO number is your student number. I'm gonna assume it's the same elsewhere.

In UCC they have a prefix so your number won't clash with someone from last year. I think this year the prefix is 104

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I'm gonna do all this setting up of bank accounts next week.

Which bank is recommended? I haven't had a spare minute to look into it. I might just change over in BOI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

would it be a stupid idea to set up a student account in 2 banks? like if both banks give away stuff i want can i sign up, and not use one of their accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I'm pretty sure you can, and there are no charges so you have nothing to lose. At worst, you can lodge €20, then withdraw it. Perfectly legal.

Remember when they gave out free phones? That was sweet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i am hoping thats what they will have this time aorund, or free credit. anyone know what they will have actually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

Who're offering the best doodads this year?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

not sure about the general doodads but I found an article from th SBP on the subject.

http://www.thepost.ie/web/DocumentView/did-215345408-pageUrl--2FThe-Newspaper-2FSundays-Paper-2FThe-Market-2FMoney.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭isolde

I'm a BOI customer, and afaik, BOI are the *only* bank to pay the government stampduty on your atm(10e) and credit card(40e) although they prefer to give you a Debt Card (Laser).

No, they don't.. no bank does.. that would be nice though :)

• Advertisement

Pet wrote:
    I'm pretty sure you can, and there are no charges so you have nothing to lose. At worst, you can lodge €20, then withdraw it. Perfectly legal.

Remember when they gave out free phones? That was sweet...

AIB are giving €50 free credit, although there are some conditions. Be careful if you open more than one account - you don't want to be stuck paying government duty on 2 ATM/Credit/Laser cards

Advertisement