Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Bank Accounts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

With the excpetion of the added student incentives (credit etc) would it not make more sense to set up a laser card with an overdraft so as to avoid various late charges and such that will occur due to use students being idiots ( ok well me being an idiot)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

AFAIK the banks will charge you teh credit card tax (€40) because they have to. the certainly charged me this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

ronano wrote:
    With the excpetion of the added student incentives (credit etc) would it not make more sense to set up a laser card with an overdraft so as to avoid various late charges and such that will occur due to use students being idiots ( ok well me being an idiot)

Well you could do that with the bank of Ireland I suppose... only downsides are that it's a laser card (a lot of places don't accept them, including online stores, plus you've still gotta pay government duty on it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

ronano wrote:
    Banks don't (or at least up to about 2 years ago, the didn't) allow students have laser cards. Apparently they are not real time and may be abused by students. Interestingly they've no problem with giving you a Credit Card. This goes for AIB and BOI at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

debt here i come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Imposter wrote:
    Banks don't (or at least up to about 2 years ago, the didn't) allow students have laser cards. Apparently they are not real time and may be abused by students. Interestingly they've no problem with giving you a Credit Card. This goes for AIB and BOI at least.
    I had this argument with the bank last week, they seem happy enough to let students get into debt and why wouldnt they, think of all the interest they'll earn as a result of student overspending and maxing out their credit cards.

Advertisement