Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bill Hicks ... you're having a laugh

2»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

as for the gentleman doing the stand up routine in the sugar club,
    to be honest, its about the comedy equal of a drag act or covers band.

If you havent seen him (as I suspect you havent) I can understand you thinking that. I thought that too. Until I went to see him perform. yes its a cover but seeing him perform live is the closest we'll get to seeing Hicks perform it live.
    Go see it and tell me you arent impressed because he got a standing ovation at the end of it from the Sugar Club audience.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

He's like Jesus with gags. Damn good gags, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 evilbubbs

DeVore wrote:
    If you havent seen him (as I suspect you havent) I can understand you thinking that. I thought that too. Until I went to see him perform. yes its a cover but seeing him perform live is the closest we'll get to seeing Hicks perform it live.
    Go see it and tell me you arent impressed because he got a standing ovation at the end of it from the Sugar Club audience.

DeV.

is this a regular gig for him, or when is the next appearance in the guise of bill hicks?

also does this guy do his own material (at other gigs of course)?

but this also brings me back to another question.
    has anyone access to material older then the 91/93.
    i think its better to see this aswell as a progression of his talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 evilbubbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 De Jay Vu

Hey guys, glad some of you liked the show,
    I came up with the idea and put the show together with Emser (Jay here btw). We have been listening to the man for years and thought it was a shame that more people didnt know about him, he was more than a comedian he was prophet, philosopher etc. You all know where this is going but most of all he was a human and to think that his messages should be stifled by small minds is more than we were willing to let slow us down.
    We knew there would be begrudgers but I can promise you that most of them who came to the show left glad that they had bothered to flesh out their opinions. The next one is on Sat Oct 23rd and anybody who wants to mail me will receive a discount.
    Thanks to all of you who showed us your support. We need a little more love in all of our lives I think...
    WaaaaGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
    De Jay Vu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I don't see what the big deal is about the tribute show. Seems to me that a significant number of comedians in the past 10 - 15 years owe a lot to Bill, if not for the material then for the themes and the style. This guy is paying homage to the man and giving him the credit he deserves. I'm gonna try get to the next show.

Like Remoteboy I also had the privilege of seeing Bill in the Tivoli. How long ago was that now? A lot of people these days talk the same way about Bill Hicks as my teen peers talked about The Doors, as if they discovered someone from a previous generation that they could connect with. Apart from about 15 minutes of Goatboy which he seemed to lapse into when he lost track of where he was in the set I never laughed so long for so hard before or since. My face was sore for hours afterwards.

So, yes, I would call him a comic, but I also fully agree that he was a prophet, a preacher and a philosopher.

Advertisement