Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

splittin bandwidth

• 01-09-2004 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

hope someone can help me..

i'm on ibb ...
    i'm connected thru a network .. there are 3 of us on the network... 2 of us are using the other guy as a terminal/portal
    Basically the other 2 guys chomp up the bandwidth.. so much so even browsing the web is painful... i have to ask permission to play cs as the ping is so bad otherwise...

basically, i want to know if there is anyway of designating how much bandwidth each computer uses/gets ..through the use of software or hardware (router etc) ..i am trying to get the guys to use a standalone server as the portal, will this help?

..plz help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

RekcaH wrote:
    2 of us are using the other guy as a terminal/portal

I'm assuming this means that "the other guy" is running ICS and is directly connected to the internet?
    i want to know if there is anyway of designating how much bandwidth each computer uses/gets

Short answer - yes.
    ..through the use of software or hardware (router etc)

A combination of both, actually.
    ..i am trying to get the guys to use a standalone server as the portal, will this help?

Definitely.

Longer answer - what you're looking for is referred to as traffic-shaping, or else QoS (Quality of Service), and it can be approached in a number of ways. If I was in your position, I would set up a Linux box as an internet gateway (and firewall, ideally), handling the DSL connection, and configure the bandwidth sharing on that. You can do it by IP address, as you suggested, or by other parameters such as port number, protocol, etc. This would allow you to prioritise your gaming app, for example, over your friends' P2P apps (or whatever is hogging the pipe).

Google for Linux traffic shaping for more info. If you want an easily-setup Linux firewall, try Smoothwall, and once you have it installed, search the Smoothwall forum for QoS/shaping modifications.

You may be able to do this kind of stuff on Windoze either, but I can't advise you on that. Similarly, there may also be out-of-the-box appliances that do this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

There was a program mentioned either here or in the computer forum not long ago (possibly a windows based one) which would do what you want perfectly!

The guy was able to prioritise certain packets, so that even if he saturated his bandiwdht, he could stil get resonably good pings.

So basically all you have to do is prioritise packets on port XXX (27015/27010 for counter-strike i believe) and then you shouldn't have too many problems. You could also then use netlimiter and limit them to 50% of the connection, that'd help too. The combination of those two methods should work fine.

i'm looking for that link now...

EDIT: BING
    EDIT2: Not windows based, my bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RekcaH

thank you kindly for all your help guys...

tomk :D (thumbs up)

Advertisement