Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'94 toyota corolla

Options
  • 01-09-2004 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi folks.I'm going to have a look tomorrow at a '94 1.3 corolla and was wondering if anyone knows of anything in paticular i should pay close attention to with this car.The car has 110k on the clock, and with it's NCT due in Janruary i don't want to be left with hefty bills.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

my sister just bought one with higher mileage than that, they are a really reliable car. check carsurvey.org for problems people had with them and you can keep a look out for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Kaskade wrote:
    they are a really reliable car

Indeed they are. Not a day goes by that I don't come across at least one of that kinda age. I can't say that for any other car in the same class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

watch the clutch, first thing to go in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

I had a 92 1.3 that burned oil. It was the previous model though.
    Here's what honestjohn.co.uk have to say:

What's Good
    The world's most popular car (even though Corolla can mean different cars in different markets). Blandly efficient and extremely reliable over first 5 years or so. Easy but dull to drive. 87 bhp 1.3 quite powerful, but economical. 1.6 has 113 bhp. Autos on 1.3s are 3-speed; on 1.6s are 4-speed. Full range of hatchbacks, saloons and estates. Well regarded and hold their value well. Has been top or near top in J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Surveys. In June 2001 Toyota was rated by Motor Warranty Direct as Britain's 3rd most claim-free used marque. BMW, Toyota and Ford jointly suffered the fewest breakdowns attended by German ADAC during 2001. Toyota had fourth lowest average cost in warranty claims for cars up to 10 years old in 2002 Warranty Direct index. Toyota generally 10th lowest average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 74.95 v/s lowest 31.93) Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk 1995-1997 had fewest breakdowns, problems and faults in 2003 Which survey.

What's Bad
    Too bland, too dull for enthusiasts (this is not a criticism - they are deliberately made this way).
    What to Watch Out For
    Early cars had 6,000-mile service intervals and all need an oil change every 6,000 miles or every 6 months (whichever comes first) if you want to them to last. Quite likely to have been mini-cabbed and clocked, so look for excessive back seat wear and tear, worn door mechanisms, etc. Look for signs of a tow hook as may have been towing something too heavy. Estates may have had a hard life visiting cash & carrys for small businesses. Look for signs of sagging rear springs, damage to trim inside load area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Actually in my personal experience you are far more likley to find that carina E's (especially diesels) are used as cabs. The xli corolla is easily the best car that toyota ever made, they are damn near invincible. Hell just look at what they drive in Umba Wooga land.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

my '89 is still going fine for me!

check the last nct results, make sure nothing was close to failing that wasn't looked after. remember fail advisery from last test may have passed, but are fail refules now. esp headlights. check service history. see when oil and filter and spark plugs last changed. look under carpet in boot(spare wheeel) for water(sometimes it doesnt drain right in older corollas).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

Thanks for the info guys.Unfortunatly the car was sold before i got to see it :rolleyes: .By the sounds of things it's a car to keep an eye out for.Thanks again.

Advertisement