Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arnott's Cafe

Options
  • 01-09-2004 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

Went in there on Saturday and sat down to have a Hot Chocolate and while I was at it, a muffin. When I went to the desk I was greeted with an ugly contortion on the ladies face, which meant, what do you want. I ordered the Hot Chocolate, which tasted mediocre, I can make a nicer one myslef at home. But the worst was the muffin, it tasted like it two days old, but cost €2.95. I nearly died, but as usual I just sat down and took it. I can't see how they can charge a fee like that for such terrible quality and service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

FX Meister wrote:
    Went in there on Saturday and sat down to have a Hot Chocolate and while I was at it, a muffin. When I went to the desk I was greeted with an ugly contortion on the ladies face, which meant, what do you want. I ordered the Hot Chocolate, which tasted mediocre, I can make a nicer one myslef at home. But the worst was the muffin, it tasted like it two days old, but cost €2.95. I nearly died, but as usual I just sat down and took it. I can't see how they can charge a fee like that for such terrible quality and service.

YOU are the reason they get away with it. By sitting down, taking it and not complaining you and people like you allow them and every other rip-off merchant in the country to get away with it.

Irish people have to stop worrying what people will think of them if they complain and just start doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I know, I guess I just didn't want to be bothered making a fuss over it. But that's the Irish way I guess and we will just get shafted until we do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

FX Meister wrote:
    I know, I guess I just didn't want to be bothered making a fuss over it. But that's the Irish way I guess and we will just get shafted until we do something about it.

Believe me, when you do make the fuss you feel great afterwards!

Yeah I know what you mean. I was in Spar last week with my lady and we were picking up a couple of Pizzas to bring round to a friends where we were watching a movie. There was a sign on the freezer saying 2 goodfellas for €5 so we got them. At the desk he chafged full price and when we asked was it not 2 for €5 he said it was an out of date offer, we argued and he eventually got the manager who just waved over to him that it was grand. I even checked the date on the sign and it said it expired the end of october. Bleedin chancers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

FX Meister wrote:
    I nearly died, but as usual I just sat down and took it. I can't see how they can charge a fee like that for such terrible quality and service.
    To be honest, by doing that, you have nullified any right to complain after the fact. I wholly agree with HelterSkelter.

It is what it's.

• Advertisement

No, I haven't nullified my right to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nullified, probably not (though I can understand the opinion of oneweb when he says you have). However there's no point complaining just to us and if you're willing to just sit there and take it (& that's the way you put it) there's not much point really. OK, it'll stop me buying a muffin in Arnott's cafe (not that I was going to go in there anyway) but if you're just going to go home and gripe about it rather than even mention that your muffin was just a teensy bit overcharged (and stale to boot[1]), what's the point?

Ah, someone else will do it. That's all right then.

[1]Leaving aside the overcharging, you ate a stale muffin without complaining. What the ****?

I've already written to Arnott's with my complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

FX Meister wrote:
    Ah, excellent, well done, kudos and please ignore my post. Add that to your Spar incident and you're a shining light to the rest of us (no I'm not being sarcastic - actually by writing a letter compared to complaining to the person behind the counter you're doing better than most of us. Please continue)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

We should put up a muffinometer of price and quality. The worst I've tasted are in the Bewley's in Dublin Airport **shudder**, and they're not cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

FX Meister wrote:
    That's probably the best way to complain becausethe staff memeber behind the till or serving you a stale muffin has zero clout. It would only matter if a manager was around, otherwise you're just shooting the messanger.

But if you complain to some central part of arnotts, then you're complaining to the people wit power. Unless they just bin you letter...

Advertisement