Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange Wireless Problem

• 01-09-2004 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Not sure whether to post in computers or here - plenty more wireless boffins here im sure.

Anyway the setup :

NTL cable coming in via ethernet into my main PC. Shared out through Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) through a USB 3Com OfficConnect b/g adapter. The other computer in the house also has one of these 3COM USB dongles. They connect fine no problem. I also have a Dell Inspiron 500m (Celeron with Intel Pro Wireless B). The network is set from my PC in 802.11b Ad-Hoc mode with 64bit WEP.

The Problem :

When i have the laptop connected to the wireless network after a random amount of time (1 to 5 hours so far) it causes my main PC to reboot. I have been using my PC once or twice while this happened (eg downloading something on the laptop and surfing on the pc, or copying files from pc to laptop) and it gives no warning or indication of what is about to happen - it is as if i had pressed the reset button.

When i check the Event Viewer, i find this message there "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xaed75f5f). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini082804-01.dmp."

Anyone come across this before? My desktop is using XP Pro, the laptop XP Home. The other machines that have connected wirelessly without causing a reboot had Win98/win2k/XP pro and were all using the 3Com adapter. The only one to cause this problem is the laptop with its centrino chipset. Bugs the hell out of me because i would like to leave the desktop churning away on stuff while i lark around with the laptop in the sitting room or whatever, but sooner or later it causes the desktop to reboot. Very annoying.

Help appreciated.

Comments

ICS is a terrible hack. I'd bet the problem is caused by some combination of the ICS and the USB wifi dongles driver.
    Buy a proper access point, you can pick a reasonable one up for €80 at maplins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I know ICS is less than perfect but the reason im using it is because i dont really want to shell out for an AP when the wireless network just isnt used that much. Its only the odd time that i would have the laptop hooked up for long enough to cause a problem. And its only the laptop that causes the problem, the other machines dont. I think its some sort of conflict between the intel pro wireless and the 3com software at the other end. Thats why i was asking if anyone had heard of a similar problem.

What about windows wireless zero config? Reckon it might make a difference rather than using the 3com/intel software combo?

Its definatly a software problem on ur main pc. not ur laptop. It may happen that the laptop triggers it but the fact the PC is crashing means its software is at fault.
    I bought a 3com office connect pc card and its software gave me endless problems. I ended up binning it and gettin an oricono gold.

Check for driver/firmware updates for your devices on 3coms website that might solve ur problems. Also upgrade XP to SP2 if you have not already. It includes inproved wireless software.

Try connecting the dongle from ur pc with the broadband to another pc and try copy large files over the connection. That would rule out a problem with the dongle software. If it doesn't cause problems on another pc it might be time to reinstall Xp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Ta for the advice.. will check that out

Advertisement