Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland team... for WCQ

• 01-09-2004 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

Ireland sqaud for the two world cup games (Cyprus and Switzerland) this week.

Squad: Given (Newcastle United), Colgan (Barnsley), Kenny (Sheffield United), Finnan (Liverpool), Cunningham (Birmingham City), O'Brien (Newcastle United), Maybury (Hearts), O'Shea (Manchester United), Carr (Newcastle United), Doherty (Norwich City), Breen (Sunderland), Barrett (Coventry City), Quinn (Sheffield United), Kavanagh (Cardiff City), Reid (Nottingham Forest), Kilbane (Everton), Duff (Chelsea), Lee (Cardiff City), Morrison (Birmingham City), Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Delap (Southampton).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Is miller injured????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Apperently

though delap was injured as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Miller, Keane, Holland and Connolly have witdrawn from the original squad, Delap is doubful. Barrett was only called up today also. Team that I want and think Kerr will go for:

____________________Given________________________

Carr_______O'Brien___________Cunningham________O'Shea

Reid_________Kavanagh_________Kilbane_________Duffer

______________Morrison_______Keane________________

Kerr may play Finnan on the right, Reid on the left and Duffer up front with Keane. But he's probably more likely to play Duff on the right and Reid on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Are any bookies accepting bets on duffer being played out of position? I need some monies..

Hm...Cyprus shouldnt be a problem. Emphasis being on the word shouldnt. But we also should've beat Macedonia :P

Switzerland, I think we actually have a good chance of winning. Players will want to prove something after they got their faces rubbed in it after losing the euro qualifier. Shame Frie(sp) isnt there, a good reason to score would be to taunt him.

I'd go for
    Ireland 2 - 1 Cyprus (Keane, Reid)
    Ireland 1 - 0 Switzerland (Morrison)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

We're looking awfully short upfront there :-/ The Cypriots could easily shut out Morrison and Keane and frustrate us. To win we need to go out with an attacking mentality and have Reid and Duff on form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Kerr needs to use full width of the pitch and try and stretch out the Cyprus defence, they are probably going to try to keep it tight at the back and hit us on the break. Duff wide on the left and Reid out on the right should do the job for us. With the players available to us I reckon we will should get a win :)
    3-1 to Ireland

Ireland 1 - 0 Switzerland (Morrison)

HAHAHA - i bet the bookies would give you some odds on Clint scoring :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Given

Carr
    O`Brien
    Cunningham
    O`Shea

Finnan
    Reid
    Kilbane
    Duff-

Keane
    Morrrisson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

We're looking awfully short upfront there :-/ The Cypriots could easily shut out Morrison and Keane and frustrate us. To win we need to go out with an attacking mentality and have Reid and Duff on form.

Yeah suprised with connolly pulling out he hasn't called up Macken. he may only be new to the squad but he is a very good striker and much needed backup for keane and Morrison.

AngelofFire i doubt he will play Finnan in a wide right position, he has played that postion for liverpool and for Ireland in the past but he is not that good there. Ried more likely. also Kavanagh in the centre in a Defensive midfield position He has played well for Ireland when he plays.

Eirebhoy's team looks the most likely IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Are we certain that Kerr will pick O'Brien at centre back?

With each of Keane, Duff and Clint coming back from injuries with feck all football played, Kerr mightnt risk starting with all 3. I guess he'll go with Finnan on the right, Kav and Killer in the middle and Reid on the left with Duff and Robbie up front - with Reid and Duffer swapping from time to time. And leave Clinton on the bench to add some impetus for the last 20 minutes or so.

My big hope though is that Kavanagh is given the chance he deserves. His ability to sit and spray passes should compliment Kilbane's "running style!" very well.

I think we should remember though that Cyprus are no mugs and are improving all the time. In the Euro qualifiers they were unbeaten at home apart from the French game which they only lost 2-1, after being ahead.

Reid
    Kilbane
    Kilbane as the holding midfielder? I doubt he'd be any good in that role and shouldn't be risked in competition. While Kavanagh is no holding midfielder he played that position against Brazil and when he came on against Bulgaria. If Kavanagh doesn't play, which would have to be because of injury as he's nearly a cert, Delap will.
    I think we should remember though that Cyprus are no mugs and are improving all the time. In the Euro qualifiers they were unbeaten at home apart from the French game which they only lost 2-1, after being ahead.
    They beat Albania last month too.

BTW, Given sat out yesterday's training with a toe injury and only took part in slight jogging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Given

Carr
    O`Brien
    Cunningham
    O`Shea

Reid
    Quinn
    Kav
    Duff-

Keane
    Morrrisson

Why not give Quinn his chance! has been one of the best players outside the PL for a while now......as a Shef Wed supporter I know how well he has been playing.....also on loan with Sunderland last season was class and has started well with Shef Utd tis year

BTW, Given sat out yesterday's training with a toe injury and only took part in slight jogging.

He has a brusied toe, nothing serious. he ran around the track instead of doing training. He will be fit to play no worries.

I cant see Finnan starting, unless there is a lot more injuries. Reid is a far better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think its Finnan v Morrison, rather than Finnan v Reid. Reid is a cast iron certainty to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Heres my starting 11 ... midfield is tough maybe switch Finnan and O'Shea

Given (Newcastle United)

Finnan (Liverpool), Cunningham (Birmingham City), O'Brien (Newcastle United), Carr (Newcastle United)

O'Shea (Manchester United),Reid (Nottingham Forest), Kilbane (Everton), Duff (Chelsea)

Morrison (Birmingham City), Keane (Tottenham Hotspur)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Carr_______O'Brien___________Cunningham________O'Shea

______________Barret_______Keane________________

by the way , thanks Eirebhoy for picking a similer team to the one I would like , all I had to do was quote , replace Morrison with Barret and remove other writing :D .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

look at the team we played when we were beaten by the swis last year, and look at the team we have now.

should i be worried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

VinnyL wrote:
    look at the team we played when we were beaten by the swis last year, and look at the team we have no.

should i be worried?

no we have Kenny playing .

VinnyL wrote:
    look at the team we played when we were beaten by the swis last year, and look at the team we have no.
    Aye, we are a lot better. Plus the Swizz are a lot weaker. Their best player by a mile, Yakin, can't get his game for Stuttgart. Frei is suspened for the Ireland match, Chapuisat has retired and Gygax is injured which leaves them with 1 18-year old striker. Stiel and Celestini have also retired.

i forget our side from last time... (anyone care to post who it was). But things were very bad , we were at the bottom of the bottom in terms of moral , and we had O Shea defending : P

i forget our side from last time... (anyone care to post who it was). But things were very bad , we were at the bottom of the bottom in terms of moral , and we had O Shea defending : P

Carr________Breen___________O'Shea_________Harte

Duff_________Holland_________Healy_________Kilbane

______________Connolly_______Keane_______________

A few things you'll have to note. O'Shea had played about 5 times at central defence in his top flight career. Harte and Kilbane were completely out of form. Duff was on the right and Connolly and Keane have never, ever played well together. Also, nobody player anywhere near as well as they could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Delap will not be available now for definite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Finnan_______O'Brien___________Cunningham________O'Shea

______________Morrison_______Keane________________

Shouldn't have any problems against Cyprus.

Prediction 2-0 ....with plenty of effort spared for next Wednesday.

Advertisement