Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an AV receiver

Options
  • 02-09-2004 4:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Mostly for movie use + occasional audio.

Currently running a Marantz SR4200 about 3 years old

Will be running
    Monitor Audio silver 8i x 2
    Monitor Audio silver 5i x 2
    Monitor Audio Silver 10i
    Monitor Audio ASW 210 sub

Will probably add a centre surround at the same time

Look at the following receviers
    Yamaha RX-V2200
    Denon AVR 2805
    Pioneer D2011-G (this is the asia/australia model name - I think it is an elite VSX-45TX in the US)

Main features that I am after is component video switching (withup) 7.1 channel output, quality DACs and enough power to for the speaker set above especially when adding a couple of more speakers and a boost in quality over the marantz

Any opinions or any other suggestions

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Nice speaker setup! With those silver speakers you will definitely hear the improvement going to a better quality amp. What sort of budget to you have in mind? Monitor Audio work very well with Marantz amps, have you looked at any of their new receivers? Something like the SR5400OSE would be worth looking at, it's one of my fave amps. Also, the Pioneer VSX714 is a fine amp with the features you need at a decent price.

I've only used older versions of the Denon and Yamaha amps you mentioned. The Yamaha I used had a lot more grunt then the Denon, but the Denon sounded cleaner and better overall. It's a matter of taste really, the best thing would be to try and audition some receivers before you buy.

Robbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Might start looking at the marantz receivers. I hear great things about the pioneer though. Will test them all out over the weekend, hopefully the price will

I am living in Singapore so the budget can strech a lot further over here. Receivers are about half price here. Getting it home could be tricky but I'll worry about that when it happens, will be funny carrying a 20kg receiver on hand luggage though :eek: . Based on the equivelant high street UK prices I am looking at about $750-£900. I don't really bother with ireland because the selection is so piss poor. On this budget I will probably actually pay about 50% of the retail uk price

I hear that yamaha have a policy of understating that power of there amp especially when all 7 channels are engaged. The new denons I hear good things about also. I'll have to try them all :D

Another thing is I might replace the silver 5i's for a smaller set of rears, just because of the space that they are taking up. Would prefer wall mounted speakers for the rear. Any recommendations for a replacement that would integrate well. Maybe the monitor audio bi-polars

Any idea of what sort of price I should try and flog the 5i's for if I were to. Actually come to think of it I want to replace them with the monitor audio sfx. Anyone want to make me an offer on the 5i's :D

Thanks
    Dave :cool:

Going to go with a Pioneer VSXAX5 or a VSXAX3

Richersounds had the ax3 at 900, I can get it for 600.

even better though

Richersounds have the ax5 at 1500, I can get it for 780.

Cannot wait. Anyone got any experience with these machines??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Martin1974

Marantz 3805 !!!

It has Room-Correction that does great job.
    The best sub 1000 pounds receiver IMO.

Martin1974 wrote:
    Marantz 3805 !!!

It has Room-Correction that does great job.
    The best sub 1000 pounds receiver IMO.

Umm, I'm sure you mean the denon 3805 not a marantz. Anyway pioneer will do an international warantee while denon will not. The pioneer also has Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System which will tune the setting to the room.

All in all given the price that I can get it for (I am nearly in the sub £500 category, forget the sub £1000) it represents the best value

Dave

• Advertisement

Dave, u r right.
    I meant the Denon 3805, however thr RC it has is different than just the "speaker level calibration" the Pioneer has.

have u heard about TACT, DEQX ?

No, what is that?

Maybe I will give it a test run

Read here:

DEQX

TacT

Advertisement