Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Vis...

Options
  • 02-09-2004 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

Anybody dived in Wexford recently??

Am heading to Kilmore this weekend and am hoping that the vis is slightly more than the 6 inches it is in Dublin at the moment. Anybody fill me in??

Cheers

BF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Its been a long time since i've dived in kilmore so i can't comment on the vis!

Out of interest though where about are you diving and who are you diving with? Is it a club thing or is the diving centre running a boat nowadays?

I dived out at the back of the greater saltee island.... meh.... it was ok. Alledgedly there is a wreck there but i think its just some sheets of iron with seaweed growing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Yeah, heading with a club. Think we have about 17 divers heading down so should be a good weekend.

I was there a few weeks ago (sailing) and I didn't see any boats in the dive center. Mind you the place didn't look too open. But the Wexford SAC boat looks sweet!

Wouldn't mind doing a wreck dive - it's been a while. Must have a gander about what there is there...

Yeah, i don't thik the dive centre are up to much nowadays.

They have some impressive wrecks (from what i've heard) but they are deep... nearly trimix deep.

When i was last down there, about 2 years ago, trinity SAC were there doing some deep training dives as they were working up to the lusitania i think.

If anybody is interested the vis down there is great at the moment, at least compared to the Guinness dives that are Dublin at the moment...

More please!

What did you dive when you were down there.... anything exciting?

• Advertisement

Did three dives over the weekend (our Sunday morning dive was fogged out). Started on the Lennox wreck which is at the far side of the greate Saltees island. It is a ship that sank in 1914 when it hit a rock as it tried to flee a German U-boat. The wreck is spread out over a large area with some pieces in good condition. Depth was about 14 metres.

Next dive was on the Conningmore rock. Not a great dive this time and there was a heavy swell when we tried to do out safety stop. Not a huge amount to see. Over the weekend we didn't see many shellfish apart from a few large spider crabs. Did see a huge seal at the end of the dive but he came no closer than 10 meters.

The last dive was Sunday afternoon. It was a bummer hanging around the whole morning looking at the fog but it was completely worth it. Was a dive on the Brandies rock. Full of fish (mainly wrasse plus a couple of scorpion fish) and amazing rock structures to swim around. Majorly strong currents here and we were diving in the first hour of the tide. Seemingly Wexford SAC dive this as a drift dive with SMBs up all the time. Would recommend this dive to anyone. Depth was about 22. Vis was about 10. Great fun. Pain to head home on Sunday evening. I'd say the area has some spectacular night dives.

(any mistakes are completely my own - was on the beer last night and still not fully recovered)

Sounds a hell of a lot better than when i dived the area.... brandees we did try but the current was too strong.

Where did you guys stay?

Stayed in the Saltee Island hotel. Wouldn't recommend. Rooms were damp and the sevice was a bit unfriendly (mind you they had a wedding on when we arrived and they were a bit hassled. Mind you that is no excuse for the room smelling like wet dog)

Some of the others stayed in a b+b across the road which was cheaper and nicer. You live and learn...

Advertisement