Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Is The Easiest and Best P4 Board to Volt Mod?

Options
  • 02-09-2004 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get a 3.0ghz Prescott. Im just wondering which is the best board to do a volt mod on, i.e which is the best board to overclock with (i will be using a Vapochill), Im looking to spend about €150 max on the board. What kind of overclocks can u expect with a 3.0ghz chip??

Is there anyone here that would do the volt mod for me if i pay them? im just not the best at soldering .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I was just reading a few articles there about p4's. Which are the best P4's for overcocking, i am new to Intel chips, i'm an amd man myself as u can see. Northwood or Prescott? what is the difference and what is better for overclocking? What socket number are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

With a MachII or Vapochill id definetly go with the prescott, they reach higher speeds when you have very good cooling. High voltage and a prescott is a no no, keep it under 1.6v as they have been known to kill motherboards......... anyway these chips that are hitting high speeds (4ghz) are done using pretty low voltage.

You might want to heatsink your mosfets and other stuff like that...... i dont think voltmods are a good idea unless your talkin about Ram..... and anyway just get a board that lets you use high VDimm and your fine (Abit probably)

Do abits work well with the old vapochills with the chill control 1.xxx?

What voltages do abit generally let u get up to (Vcore)?

TBH im not sure, thats a question for some of the other members who have a vapochill & abit P4 boards ;) . Wouldnt mind trying that combo TBH......

Well if it works im definitly gonna do it :D , i'll let u know how i get on, though its gona take me ages to get all the parts, as u can see my rig cost me a fortune, left a whole in my pocket :)

• Advertisement

Yea your only slightly mad with that system, feck sake an FX @ 2.75ghz........ why would you even think about another system :) ?

Unless your going down the dual CPU route........

Im not even happy with the 2.75, with a volt mod on the sk8v u can get 3ghz stable, i'd love to get that high with it.

To be honest im just going to build the vapochill system up to sell it, or use it for internet and other things and have the mach II as purely gaming and benchmarking, got watercooling for my x800 ordered and im going to mod it to an XT , should speed up d stuff immensly, ive seen some of the clocks people are getting with watercooling on x800's, unbelievable :D

So i tink i'll go for P4 3.0ghz with an abit board for the next system, my 1st intel project, i personnally dont like them , i like the unlocked multipliers, gonna have to get some kickass ram for d P4, wat u recommend???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=301186&cks=PRL

553mhz cl3 does good!
    Prob need 2 a them tho

Your choice of Ram depends alot on what CPU you get, if its a 3ghz then Pc4000 would be a pretty good choice. @250mhz FSB the CPU is @3.8ghz and Ram running full speed. Most of the Ram will go above that with added voltage, if you want to be extra safe then Pc4200 will get you to 4ghz running 1:1 (if the CPU is able to go that high)........ alot to do with luck but picking the right parts does help.

PS 3ghz with an FX....... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Someone else, cant remember there name, has a fx-53@2.7ghz :cool:
    How much should fx-53s b in a year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Someone else, cant remember there name, has a fx-53@2.7ghz :cool:
    How much should fx-53s b in a year?

very off topic but its anyones guess, you never know what changes will happen to prices when new technology comes around

id hazard a guess at 3-4 hundred if were lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'd go for a Prescott with a Vapo as well but you should have a look at the 30 capacitor 3.0 Northwood's as well. I've seen people reaching near 4ghz with these on air but with a vapo 'd definitly go Prescott.

Make sure you get a D0 stepping if you do though. This might be hard if your ordering online. It's nearly worth paying the extra in a shop so you can pick out a D0. They run a lot cooler on a lower voltage than the older C0 stepping and overclock a lot better. You would easily reach 4.0-4.4ghz with a vapochill. So let's say you get a 3.0. You would want to allow for at least 280mhz fsb so your gonna need at least pc4200. You should be able to reach pc4400 speeds with it easily.

Have a look on www.shop4memory.co.uk for the 1Gb EL DDR PC4200 Dual Channel - OCZ Enhanced Latency kit. It's 360 euro but worth it if your going for something like this. It's one of the few high speed ddr's with a 2.5 cas latency and will easily go past pc4400 speeds.

I'd recomend the Ic7 max-3 as it allows for higher ram voltage than the Asus p4c800-deluxe but just look into compatability with the vapo as the otes system on the Abit might cause problems but it can be removed.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

gline wrote:
    my 1st intel project, i personnally dont like them , i like the unlocked multipliers

They ain't unlocked though ;)

probably going to go for a 3.2 ghz prescott. I'll check out the 4200 ram. Im hoping for at least 4ghz, though 4.4 or higher would be sweet. If anyone has used the IC7 max-3 board with a vapochill (chillcontrol 1.xx), let me know how that went. How high above standard vcore does that board let u go?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It goes well above standard anyway. Mine goes to something like 1.75 when the highest recomended is 1.55 but you could maybe stretch to 1.6-1.65 with a vapo.

Seriosuly try and get a D0 stepping. There is a big difference in heat and power consumption between the C0's and the D0's. I think the stock voltage on the D0 is 1.385 and on the D0's it's 1.185 but they both still have the max safe core of 1.55 so t's obvious which one is better. I've seen the D0's reach 4.4 in vapo's.

BloodBath

Advertisement