Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McAteer International Retirement

• 02-09-2004 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭

story

Republic of Ireland midfielder Jason McAteer has retired from international football.

The former Liverpool star, currently playing for Tranmere, won 52 caps for his country in a distinguished career. Injury has ruled him out of the World Cup qualifiers against Cyprus and Switzerland.

The 33-year-old described his retirement as "the toughest decision for any sportsman".

McAteer, who made his name with a string of impressive performances at the 1994 World Cup, said: "To retire from competing for your country is probably the toughest decision for any sportsman.

"I have always been immensely proud to represent Ireland and have always given 100%.

"However, I am now 33 years old and have suffered with a couple of injuries in recent years which has affected me both mentally and physically, so I feel the time is right to step aside and let the talented youngsters have a go," he told stellargroup.co.uk.

"We are lucky to have some cracking players coming through and it would be great to help these boys develop with the national side."

McAteer began his professional career with Bolton before Liverpool came calling. In 1999 he moved to Blackburn for £4million before joining Sunderland and then Tranmere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

How shall we survive without Trigger! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Top Man!
    will never forget that goal august 2001,
    definately makes my top 5 fave irish goals.
    A good pro as they say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

all the best Jason ;) done the business for us on many occasion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Quality Irish player, who never let the side down. Scored on of the most important goals in Irish history too. Best of luck Trigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

thanks for "that goal" jason, good luck in the future.

ahhhh the memories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

It's adios for amigo McAteer
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1244185&issue_id=11373

Gerry McDermott

Irish Manager Brian Kerr in a St Patrick's Athletic jersey pictured with GOAL's John O'Shea and Graham Kavanagh in a Bohs jersey to publcise GOAL's Jersey Day on September 24

HE announced his arrival on the international stage by cheekily nutmegging Paolo Maldini during the 1994 World Cup and ended it by being Ronaldo's victim at Lansdowne Road last February.

In between those two memorable moments, Jason McAteer enjoyed a ten-year international career that saw him appear in two World Cup Finals and score one of the most important goals in Irish football history.

The 33-year-old announced his retirement from international football yesterday, but left the door slightly ajar, just in case.

"Jason rang me yesterday and said 'it looks like you are doing okay without me and I was thinking of saying that I am retiring from international football. But, if you are stuck and need me, give me a shout and I'd be delighted to come in'," revealed Brian Kerr.

"That's fine. I was delighted that he rang me to tell me and also that he wasn't ruling himself out completely in case we need him."

That game against Brazil was the last of McAteer's 52 caps - and his one and only game under Kerr, a statistic that the current Ireland manager clearly regrets.

"Jason has been a fantastic player but we didn't get to use him too much since I came in because he hasn't been available because of injuries."

McAteer said that decision to retire from international football was the hardest call he has had to make as a player.

"I have always been immensely proud to represent Ireland and have always given 100 per cent," he said. "However, I am now 33 years old and have suffered with a couple of injuries in recent years which has affected me both mentally and physically, so I feel the time is right to step aside and let the talented youngsters have a go."

McAteer - one of the few Irish players to have played under Jack Charlton, Mick McCarthy and Kerr - made his international debut on March 23, 1994, against Russia.

Along with Phil Babb and Gary Kelly, he formed the Three Amigos, who added a bit of humour to the 1994 World Cup finals campaign in America.

Operating mainly on the right hand side of midfield, he scored three goals in 52 appearances, including that memorable winner against Holland in September 2001 which guaranteed Ireland a play-off against Iran for a place in the World Cup Finals.

Having begun his professional career with Bolton, McAteer went on to play for his boyhood heroes Liverpool, Blackburn and Sunderland before joining Tranmere this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

knobbles wrote:
    Top Man!
    will never forget that goal august 2001,
    definately makes my top 5 fave irish goals.
    A good pro as they say!
    Ya great goal....up there with Ray Houghton in USA 94 and Whelan Euro 88.

I wonder if he would have stayed on if Roy had not returned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Seeya later Trig.

Must admit I hated him for a long time after he kung-fu kicked that Macedonian back in '97 but he was a good servant for Ireland for 10 years so I suppose we can edit that out of his highlight reel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep Trigger was a good player for Ireland, not the brightest penny in the till but he did give 100%.

My two favourite memories of Trigger was the

Dutch Goal that helped get us to Japan. I was on Holiday's in Lanzagrotty watching the match in an Irish bar with a Dutch woman sitting beside. Jaysus could she curse or what, she was a mad woman, great crack and she made me realise that soccer fans are the same no matter the gender or country of origin. Goals like that are like someone has just given you an injection of pure adrenelin and joy :)

Second Memory is not a Ireland one but the famous Sunderland vs ManUre match where he made the writing mime to Roy. Classic :D

Advertisement