Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A Mates 1994 Citreon Xantia 1.8 - Opinions

Options
  • 02-09-2004 11:48am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,

A mate of mine is selling a 1994 Citreon Xantia 1.8. The car is absolutely
    spotless inside and in very good nick outside too. I think there might be a
    small problem with the gearbox as there is a slight knocking noise from it but
    shes not too sure.

Options available are:

Sell it on for scrap / for spare parts

Sell it to someone as is and state problems

Is it worth her while doing advertising it and if so how much do you reckon
    she would get for it?

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

An ad in the Buy and Sell is free - stick it in for €900 ono and see if anyone offers anything for it. Is there any NCT/tax on it? The gearboxes are notoriously weak and I have heard of several which jumped out of third and subsequently wouldn't go back into third requiring 'box rebuilds so I'd get shot of it before it goes bang. A very obvious case of buyer beware!!

You didn't list 'Park it at the bottom of the garden and keep chickens in it' as one of the options - think of the eggs...

'ceptr

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

ah yeah she knows its not up to much.. shes just curious to see if there
    would be a market out there for someone who might keep it for parts as everything else in it is in mint condition and it runs perfectly..

Shes already got another car and rather than let it rust away or get it crushed
    someone might save themselves a few quid by keeping it and taking parts for
    their own xantia off it when needed..

So ya reckon €900 might be a possible figure..???

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

An ad in the Buy and Sell is free - stick it in for €900 ono

Sounds like a good plan to me. Be open about the problem when people ring up. Someone might very well offer her some money for it - better than the scrapyard :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

unkel wrote:
    Sounds like a good plan to me. Be open about the problem when people ring up. Someone might very well offer her some money for it - better than the scrapyard :)

yeah thats it ya see... I know if I had an older car and knew I could pick
    up another one in good nick for spares cheap enough Id do it as it would save
    you a fortune in the long run..

As sure Ill let her know and see what she says.. she's be mad to scrap it..

Tox

Advertisement