Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should "Vodka in a Sachet" be banned?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i dont see the problem, too be honest i would prefer too sneak a naggin into a nightclub(which is easy to do) then a load of sachets.

sachets are more likely too burst, and too much hassle. Its typical of irelands nanny state, anything thats drink related is seen as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

syke wrote:
    Why does noone seem worried about how the kids will acquire these sachets in the first place?
    Its probably their parents buying them drink anyway for **** sake.. How many time have you seen 16 or 17 year old Mary having a Bicardi Breezer because "its only a one off sure, special occassion".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Can anyone tell me the last time they saw anyone over about 25 drinking alcopops?
    It think it obvious what market this product is aimed at.

Your local TD: "Let's see, this is a potential threat to both underage drinkers and the licenced trade, I know, let's tax it. Problem solved."

The only good point in favour is the knacker drinkers will no longer litter the place with Dutch gold cans. The sachets are a much smaller litter problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

K!LL!@N wrote:
    The main thing that gets me about this product is the attitude of Dr. Elia.
    Killian

Interesting point. Who is this guy anyway? According to Google the only Dr Joe (or Joseph) Elia passed away in Reno in 2000. Its very rare to graduate as a Dr these days without leaving some sort of trace on the interweb...

I'm begining to wonder if this whole thing is a hoax - Paul Clerkin - is that you out there?
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

vinnyfitz wrote:
    Interesting point. Who is this guy anyway? According to Google the only Dr Joe (or Joseph) Elia passed away in Reno in 2000. Its very rare to graduate as a Dr these days without leaving some sort of trace on the interweb...
    ;)
    anewdrink.com (contains "Little Drinks Company" is registered to:

jorrel
    joe elias
    905 spruce street
    irwin, PA 15642
    US
    Phone: 7248642991
    Email: joe@jorrel.com

jorrel.com is registered to
    wishwicks
    joe elias
    905 spruce street
    irwin , PA 15642
    US
    Phone: 7248642991
    Email: mjelias@hotmail.com

The www.jorrel.com website contains the really@good.ie email address.

good.ie is registered to Jorrel Media Ltd.

Seems to have got a fairly large reaction, apparently.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0902/alcohol.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

...and what if they use the sachets as makeshift condoms too? The horror! The horror! I’m writing to the archbishop right away.

Seriously, I love the way we adults criticise kids in this country for alcohol abuse - monkey see monkey do after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Can anyone tell me the last time they saw anyone over about 25 drinking alcopops?
    It think it obvious what market this product is aimed at.

I know plenty of people (men and women) who like to drink an alcopop from time to time, especially in nightclub's where the beer is stink and its cheaper have a a-pop than a vodka and coke, and none of these are kids. They simply like the taste cos they are easy to drink late at night. Whats wrong with that??

Why dont we go the hog and ban vodka, cider, dutch-gold... Anything else that kids might want to drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

From yesterdays observer
    The final part of the jigsaw came direct from youth culture and the rave scene. The restaurateur Oliver Peyton, who made his first fortune importing hip alcohol brands Sapporo beer and Absolut vodka, saw it first hand as a club promoter. 'People on the scene just didn't drink alcohol,' he says. 'They had their pills and a bottle of water and they were happy.' Alcohol sales plummeted. 'I believe the industry then decided they needed to come up with products that would appeal directly to that lost demographic.' Green agrees. 'There was a deliberate decision by the breweries not to compete with each other but to compete with ecstasy and water.' .

full story here

We can all say "We're grown mature adults and can do what we want" but the fact remains that damage from alcohol abuse has skyrocketed in the previous ten years, the same time period that alco-pops were born.

We're not drinking responsibily, and we are paying the price.

Advertisement