Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant after fail exam

Options
  • 02-09-2004 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭

I am in college in galway and may have not got into next year , i am thinking about doing a different course next year but I hear a rumor that you do not get the grant if you fail one year is this true?
    gob_smacked

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

the government pays your fees for each year once and only once.

so if you do first year of one course and then decide to start over on a new course you will have to pay fees for first year of the new course.

if you fail a year and have to repeat you will have to pay fees to repeat.

get thee to a bank

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you go to an IT it may be different,
    I know a few people that have done 1st year more then once in different courses and not had to pay fees.

Not sure how this works though maybe if u dont do the exams rather then fail them it is different

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Guys, he asked about grants not fees

SOME OF YOU QUESTIONS MAY BE ANSWERED HERE:

http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?pcategory=10900&ecategory=19277&language=EN

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Moonbeam wrote:
    If you go to an IT it may be different,
    I know a few people that have done 1st year more then once in different courses and not had to pay fees.

Not sure how this works though maybe if u dont do the exams rather then fail them it is different
    As far as I know you get one degree and one cert/diploma.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

The gov gives ya 4 years free education and you may apply for a grant in each year.
    But once you have done a year its gone..Even if you only went into the first week of first year and dropped out.Same with each subsequent year.

Ive completed a national cert in Computing and im starting a BA in European studies this sept. (both course in it-tallaght)
    I was told by the college that since ive already used up my first and second free years of third level education id have to pay full fees and not be entitled to any gov grants for first and second year of European studies.
    Then in 3rd year my free education will resume with grant entitlements.

It-tallaght will still allow you to apply for the grants the college itself offer no matter what the circumstances

• Advertisement

Ive completed a national cert in Computing and im starting a BA in European studies this sept. (both course in it-tallaght)
    I was told by the college that since ive already used up my first and second free years of third level education id have to pay full fees and not be entitled to any gov grants for first and second year of European studies.
    Then in 3rd year my free education will resume with grant entitlements.

I know someone who did exactly the same thing but was able to claim to free fees the ehole way through college!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ive gotten 3 grants, 2 failures and more than likely another failure this year too. So apply for it anyway cos ya never know

care to elaborate johnny?

did he do it through medical reasons or anything?

No, she, did a 2 year cert in computing, then started 1st year in a business degree, the college told her that they were not sure what way the department of education treated theses cases. apparently the dept of education agreed that she was entitled to free fees

Terry Pratchet

thats cool..Was there a special process she went through or did it just happen that she paid normal fees?

• Advertisement

She asked the college fees/academic affairs dept what the procedure was, they said they were not sure as this had never happened before and they would check with the dept of education if she had to pay fees, the dept came back and said she did not

Terry Pratchet

Must have a chat with the student affairs people..
    Last time they just said id have to pay ful fees + registration.
    Must look into more and see what happens!
    Cheers for the input Johnnymcg

Advertisement