Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player Run Shard

• 11-05-2000 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

Can we setup a Player run Shard ?
    Ithink this would be great fun to have a irish Shard (Hibernian) well if people want it can they post there names after this post so we can get a list of people who would like to play ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I'm sure we can, I was looking at the various player shards a while back when all the newbie player rules were coming in. I dont think numbers of players will be a problem either. I'm intending to look into the various servers tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

hmmm, after reading that UOX site, I was thinking.

If we can edit the items etc. we could give them a more 'celtic' feel. Magical spears, swords etc. named after ones from irish folklore.

We could rename creatures to celtic names.
    Orcs = FirBolg
    Ogres = Fomor
    etc.

just to give it a different feel.

Also, there was one link there that had new equipment, like claymore and rapier to go along witht he existing ones.

I know, I'm getting ahead of myself. We need server space first... but it doesn't do any harm to think smile.gif

Name idea:
    Erinshard
    Pictland
    DaBogg
    Potatoville
    Emerald

Rev. How much space does a server for UO need to have a decent amount of connects?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Will you be allowed Macro?

You will be allowed macro, but only certain skills like begging, item id, walking, sleeping, basket making, orange peeling, and dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

A quick question:

Can you designate a specific place where a player can be killed (or just attacked) without the other attacker suffering any ill effects?

This would allow for a 'duelling' field, where players could challenge others to a duel, to death, or first below 10 health etc.
    Then the two could leave without worry of being branded criminals (or in the case of death, a murderer). A healer could be just outside to help out.

Also, if we included a lance, could we run jousts?

• Advertisement

Rules wise you can add pretty much what you want, but things like lances could maybe be a problem since that would require extra graphics, maybe?

UOX isn't the best of the servers, and requires quite a bit of work to get up and running, the server scripts were availbe for the old aussie shard before the offical one came up, so that would be a good place to start from.

Before ppl get carried away with the whole thing were would u be able to get the server up and running ? Would IGN do it ??

Does anyone from IGN even read this board? smile.gif

Whats the server load allowed?

Sure they do, they like freak watch smile.gif

Ahhh I remember the days when only your goodself, venom, and little old me used this board.

Yea I would be intrested in what's involved setting up and how many people we can throw on at one time.

would be more intresting that way, and might pull people away from IRC smile.gif

Set up a HL/Tribes/Quake guild owning a different part of the map and throw in a few wars and allow us to appear as monsters and.. and... and...

Seriously though. Spec wise what is required?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭rumpelstiltskin

wow, sounds cool!
    we could rename gp to punts smile.gif

and rename the towns even...
    anyway, would this mean everyone starting brand new characters

or is there a way to kinda jump in with yer good characters?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 [DT]{DW}Jag

When will this Pshard be set up, please tell me smile.gif im dying to play.

Afaik you cant jump characters, thats the whole point of shards.

Shard name: Erinshard thats my vote

Jaguar

The server requirments dont seem to be to bad, I've seen the likes of PII-400 listed as a server. But it all depends on what you put in the server mapwise etc.

Sphere looks quite nice and has a linux version as well. I'm downloading it right now. http://sphereserver.dslwatch.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Well i was playing UO over 2 years ago, well got it the first week it came out in ireland and stayed up till 4am to get in to the UO:the new lands beta. did not know about the boards till about 18 months ago i jsut gave up with the bills £10 + 45-50 quid tellphone bills. But dose anyone know how much power is needed for a UO server and how much work is needed to set it up ?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well, since this is a Spin Solutions site, the IGN people tend to read it because of the commonality. Big brother (or small devore) is watching (over) you.

I like this idea and I think we can find space for it. We have a new unix box coming back soon but its quite low powered (pII 200 I think). The best box we have is a 350.

What are the server requirements. How many people will you be able to get? (considering critical max needed to have any interaction etc.

Will boards.ie's tribes server be the home of the discussion board? (I'd like this)

I'm all for it, but realistic needs have to be set and I dont have any time for server set up etc so all that would be up to you guys.

Let me know.

DeV.

The tribes board !

If its anywere its here mate tongue.gif Like I know and all the Tribes board needs all the help it can get after the exit and all from it.

Requirements wise I'm not to sure, If the item count on the server is kept to a smallish area it shouldnt be to much I would think, but the only way is to try it :/ I've ran a local server on my own machine (pII 400) with a client as well running and littered the screen with more NPCS and it doesnt seem to bad, without the client it would be fine. I would think.

Advertisement