Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console pads on your PC?

Options
  • 02-09-2004 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

Ok just because I know you love these polls.
    Have you got any official console game-pads hooked up to your PC via converters (or whacky DIY cabling jobs!) and if so... what ones?!
    I've got a Playstation2 pad connected over USB and I just laugh and think "HAHAHA PATHETIC!" when I see made-for-PC joypads.
    Now you may not agree, but I think PS2 pads are the best joypads to have ever graced the earth.

Also this is a public poll so it shows what you voted for apparently... dunno if that works, but it might be interesting.

Which converted console pad do you use on your PC? 8 votes

Xbox
    0%
    Playstation (1 or 2)
    37%
    DiscoStuceejaykencleary 3 votes
    GameCube
    37%
    StephenSantaHoeDiscoStu 3 votes
    Dreamcast
    12%
    tman 1 vote
    Old skool - MegaDrive, MasterSystem, SNES, NES, Mangled Gameboy (etc.)
    0%
    I use a PC gamepad (tell us about it and post a screenshot!)
    0%
    Other/Atari Jaguar controller
    12%
    lan 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

GameCube
    I got some yoke to connect a PS2 pad to my PC from play.com. It works fine in the game controllers control panel applet, but when you actually use it in a game it goes mental - flying all over the place. Maybe its buggered? meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Yeah I got the same thing, works fine for what I got it for. PS emulator but If I use it in a game eg Fifa 04 its all wonky. Kindae gave up on it but apparantly the native XP drivers are far better than the ones on the disc that comes with it. Havn't checked that myself though.

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

GameCube
    I've never had a problem like that, you'd think once it operates properly in the control panel it'd be fine, was this the standard windows joystick control panel or some proprietary property-page peculiarity?
    Could be some kind of DirectX problem... did you try having windows just detect and install it with its own drivers (if possible)?
    Mine is installed as a "HID-compliant game controller", the dual-shock doesn't work unless I install the proper diver that came with the converter, but that's shat for PC games anyway.

GameCube
    Dunno, its been ages since I tried it. I would have been using Windows 2000 at that stage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Playstation (1 or 2)
    I've just done a home-made conversion on one of my XBox controllers where I connected a USB cable internally to it so that I could use it as a cheap alternative to Action Replay with the memory card. I haven't used it to actually play any games on the PC with it yet, but the control panel sees all the controls.

Ciarán.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

I use my PS2 pad.I'd be lost without it at this stage.Only use it for driving games like ColinMcRae-rally04, TOCA2, GTA and ViceCity.It worked well for BrokenSword-SleepingDragon also.It even works with FlightSim2000 ;) .I got the converter in http://www.peats.ie.

GameCube
    Do you not find it better to use a keyboard and mouse in Vice City? Especially for the shooting parts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

Stephen wrote:
    Do you not find it better to use a keyboard and mouse in Vice City? Especially for the shooting parts?

I actually use a combo of the left analogue stick and my mouse for the running and shooting parts.Works really well ;) .As for the driving in the game,the pad just makes it a lot easier and a lot more fun because you have so much more control of the cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Got an Adaptoid for N64 pads but its use is limited ,only really good for games designed for it.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

KdjaC wrote:
    Got an Adaptoid for N64 pads but its use is limited ,only really good for games designed for it.

kdjac
    ditto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I have two usb Logitech pc game pads, Dual Action pad and a Wingman Rumble Pad.

Advertisement