Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Type of shard

Options
  • 13-05-2000 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭

So if assuming we were to get hosting sorted out and all.

What sort of server would people go for one one based on the existing lands, or a totally new world or a mix of the two say old plus new in green acres and t2a ?

and who would be willing to put time into it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What's the shopping list of things required (eg. GM's, developers, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Well i can help mabey as a GM or jsut on irc (I am on irc for 13 hours a day (long work day and little work)) i do not mind what the land would look like but i think we should not make it too big so that every one is not too spread out but big enuf so we can all have fun. on the developers side i am not sure what i can do, i am sure that VB is not used, but do not know what othere stuff i can help with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I was thinking about starting out on the Island to the north east as a starting point
    that would give us Moon, occlo, buc etc.

That should keep everything nice and contained at least to start with.

or would the main land mass be better?

any ideas,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

How about just T2A. It's small enough for a large group, two towns and sea areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 [DT]{DW}Jag

all the world building is done with shard master, its pretty hard to use because some of the tags are wrong frown.gif.

After playing on other Pshards i found that people are sparse, so it is a good idea to stay on one island or in a small mainland area

Jaguar

• Advertisement

I suppose we're looking at GM's and Developers for quests and custom properties.

There seem to be a lot of existing scripts you can use which would mean a working shard could be made quickly, after that its customization of it that would need to be planned.

Why you offering smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 [DT]{DW}Jag

i will help build this shard, i have already started buildng my own single player shard.

thats if you want me wink.gif

Jaguar
    "what to do if someone never replies to emails - keep emailing until they do"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

If we were to use our own map (is that possible?)

Again, idea that gets ahead of itself:

We could start with,
    Ireland (or small section, say Boyne Valley, Newgrange, Hill of Tara etc. Tara being the main town).
    The wilderness is the 'wilds' of ireland, where there are all the beasties etc. We could rename them, so it would be like simulating the Tuath de Dannan's first push to control the land.

As we grow, we could introduce events like,
    Gallowglass raiders, following them home would introduce Scotland.

The Rime Witch of Cobh, introduce a second (ruined) city, where adventure would clear it for settlement.

Norse raiders (hmmm, a war against those vikings b*star*s... can anyone say clontarf?)

Sasnach invasion, Kiiiiillllllll smile.gif hehe, only messing.

Fairy rings could be the portals.

'flipside' of the worldmap (the bad place) could be the land of the Sidhe. Big baddie, Balor of the evil eye. (Antrim would make a cool place for adventure, dragon nesting at the giant's causeway?)

also, the amount of cairns, barrows, dolmen, obelisks, gullies, legends etc. are more than enough to give our own slant on things.

Redbranch knights, a guild of playerkilling scumbags? (red colour) or a players guild of monster hunters?

Point is, if we're going to make something new, and we have the ability, why not make it completely new?

Of course, just using the old map while we iron out bugs etc, would also be a good idea.

<wild flights of fancy end>
    smile.gif

PS. I'd be willing to help out.
    I'd need to learn a fair bit about it, but I've got spare time. And I always pfrefer creating new stuff to playing things someone else has made. (first thing I look for in a game is an editor... still can't get my head around the quake editors though..)

Any idea how I find the specs of a server? I might have one I could lend for a while (pent. pro only tho. Fujitsu, nice little thing).

Take a look at some of the player shards, they dont have mad machines running them at least some of them. PII's and the like.

We're better off starting with the existing base map, adding things is a dead easy, its a matter of walking about adding them in as you see fit. I think takin moon and the near islands would be best, not everyone has t2a, and its pretty self contained.

I was thinking if one person could take an island and do it from the base map. just like walk about and put things down as you see fit. If you get Sphere and axis, dont bother with the updated base map, we've no need for the extra items in the areas we are not using.

I'll take moon, so that leaves say Nujel'm, occlo, magincia. We can merge them then later on.
    And if a dungeon is needed well deceit is only to the north.

so what say u all ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Cool Give me a map ant the programs to do it and i am away.
    give the url to the programs.

The files can be found at http://sphereserver.dslwatch.com/development/files.htm

You only need the Full Sphere, and axis which is the GM tool.

I'm not to sure how easy its going to be to merge them together, but we'll cross that when we come to it.

So just pick an island, and tell us what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭rumpelstiltskin

well, looks like this is turning out nice smile.gif
    Lol has some great ideas, i just cant wait till it all happens, if i'm needed for anything (something easy though) then i'm here too

I'll go for Occlo if nobody minds.

Plenty of open space.

Just one question. If I install this axis and sphere thingy on my HD, does it edit the map I use to play UO or does it just use it to make a sphere copy?

Do I *need* Uo installed for it to work? I'm trying it out in work but I don't have UO installed here.

Also, looking at the dungeon list, are they the only dungeons that can go in? Are they in a fixed position? (the entrances I mean).

You need a copy of UO installed, you use the client to place items using axis.

You'll need to change your login.cfg to reflect your server.

No changes are made to your copy of UO, the changes made are stored on the server. The locations of the dungeons are fixed but the doors seem to be just teleports so you can always up date them to point to weere u want.

"No changes are made to your copy of UO, the changes made are stored on the server. "

so there's nothing we can do until the server is up? (apart from general planning)

Well you can still set up a local server for yourself and make change son that, we can then at a later date merge the sphereworld file. Although how easy that will be is another days work, but it should be possible.

Its worth playing with the server anyway to get an idea how the tools work.

Advertisement