Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP learning books

Options
  • 02-09-2004 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭

OK, I'm learning PHP, using my own site, www.civiliantarget.com as a testbed. Up to now I've been surviving on PHP tutorials on the web, to do things like quick and dirty news scripts and stuff, but some of the more ambitious pages go beyond the scope of web tutorials, so I need a book. Preferably one that will cover PHP including a smattering how to make it work with databases (ODBC and mySQL) and how to get it to deal with files. As well as a little on Apache.

There are lots of books out there, but left to my own devices I'll probably choose a ****ty one. So what do you people recommend, and what do you recommend that I avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

i use this (best to have a decent internet connection):
    http://safari.oreilly.com

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I might try that free for 14 days so, but even still, I'd rather have a print book. Its more committing and easier to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

i haven't given up buying print books :) - it allows me to make more of an informed choice when buying one though plus the chapter PDF download option is great - frequently i'd only need one or two chapters out of a particular tech book to get the info i needed saves shelling out for the full thing

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Alls well that ends well. I enquired in work as to where to best get this sorf of book and was told "Oh, we give anyone who asks for books free membership to this online book archive thing" which just happens to be that oreilly site you're talking about, so I'm now a member. Happy days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

php in 24 hours and move on to the php black book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/067232525X/102-1073264-3952125?v=glance

PHP and MySQL Web Development - Second Edition is a must!. Its For Basic up to Advanced users.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement