Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

karma and journal posts

Options
  • 02-09-2004 6:47pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Are there any plans to link the karma system to journals too, so I can give someone positive karma on journal entries which I found enjoyable/clever/deep/whatever?

I know the journals are a bit all over the place at the moment and there is still work to do (I gather subscribing to journals is still not working), but just thought I'd suggest it for the future.
    At the moment you'd have to find an old post by the blog author, give them karma, and mention "not for this post, but for your journal entry, I liked it because xyz"

flogen
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

People getting negative reputation for posting in their own journal ... Not a good scenario in my opinion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

ecksor wrote:
    People getting negative reputation for posting in their own journal ... Not a good scenario in my opinion.

:D..
    hmm, I see your point... maybe a somewhat Orwellian option of just positive karma... or nothing.. :p

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I don't like the idea of Karma, positive or otherwise, being linked to the journals.

A journal isn't something that's really there for the approval/disapproval of others. The comments feature should be sufficient really. If you like someone's journal entry you should just put a comment after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

plus say your giving them pretend kamra along the lines of

"...great post heres a voucher for one free backrub from tba..."

Amz wrote:
    I don't like the idea of Karma, positive or otherwise, being linked to the journals.

A journal isn't something that's really there for the approval/disapproval of others. The comments feature should be sufficient really. If you like someone's journal entry you should just put a comment after it.

I see your point alright, and comments are usually a good way to go, but since the karma system came in I've found myself wanting to give good karma for a good journal entry. I can understand the dodginess of giving bad karma, mind you.

I suppose I could stick to my other technique of giving karma for journal entries of putting it on a post of theres and mentioning it.

flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Amz wrote:

...just cus you're journals sucky doesnt mean everyone else should lose.

That cut me deep Crash_000.

That threesome is looking less and less likely with every snide comment you make. Your girlfriend won't be impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Amz wrote:

That threesome is looking less and less likely with every snide comment you make. Your girlfriend won't be impressed.

I find this comment fairly funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

The unsophisticated mind tends to have a rather base sense of humour...

Hey!

:(

• Advertisement

syke wrote:
    The unsophisticated mind tends to have a rather base sense of humour...

What's that, sucker of satan's cock I hear you say... *Makes fart noise and runs off*

You know every time I reply to Amzie you reply to me, carefull now people will start to talk.

Boston wrote:
    carefull now people will start to talk.

Evolution not gotten than far over your neck of the woods?

Incidently, I don't see what makes you think that I was replying to you.

It's the trinity student in me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

syke wrote:

Incidently, I don't see what makes you think that I was replying to you.
    Because your reply delt with humour directly after a post on what said poster finds funny. Twas a logical assumption.

WOW butting in when its not your turn really is fun!!

Yeah I agree with the whole, its my journal and I dont care what you think thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

My journal is shit.

Because your reply delt with humour directly after a post on what said poster finds funny. Twas a logical assumption.

WOW butting in when its not your turn really is fun!!

I could just as easily have been making a generalised comment directed at Crash, Amz and Boston or indeed at any one of the 3.

Of course, I didn't use the quote option which I'd normally do if replying to someone (see this post as a reference) and I've never felt the need to be ambiguous when following up to Boston.

Of course, one mans logic..........

(incidently, speaking of butting in, I believe I directed my question directly at Boston, so its a bit hypocritical for you to comment on me butting in).

I dunno, its hard to find a well thought out constructively critical post these days. I blame the falling standards of education......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Damn you Mercury_tilt!!!!!!!!

*shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

syke wrote:
    What the hell does this even mean? I know it has to be an insult but I can't quite figure it out as a sequiter. Is he just calling Boston a gibbon? Or is it a play on the idiom of "starting to talk"? It's like insults within insults.

Oh, it's a tangled web he weaves!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

DapperGent wrote:

tis the best place for him to find the spiders for the leg pulling....

• Advertisement

DapperGent wrote:
    What the hell does this even mean? I know it has to be an insult but I can't quite figure it out as a sequiter. Is he just calling Boston a gibbon? Or is it a play on the idiom of "starting to talk"? It's like insults within insults.

Its the latter.

I'm going to have to start lowering myself to using "YORE MA!" and "SPAZMO" for you people.

Have none among you read the dry, cutting, satrical wit of Wilde, Twain and Elliot?

*sigh*

I am so alone! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

"I told you I was ill!"

syke wrote:
    Have none among you read the dry, cutting, satrical wit of Wilde, Twain and Elliot?

*sigh*

I am so alone! :(

are you surprised?

and yes, I have read most of Wilde, and might I say, you have a ways to go yet....

Beruthiel wrote:
    are you surprised?

and yes, I have read most of Wilde, and might I say, you have a ways to go yet....

uhhh.... ermmmm

"YORE MA!!" ;):p

syke wrote:
    uhhh.... ermmmm

"YORE MA!!" ;):p

SPAZMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

It was supposed to be a joke more than anything but yes thats what I meant.

Dont you find wilde repetitive, I mean, he seems to reuse a lot of the same plots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

SO

cant get enough of those Karma and journal posts, what about you?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I thought that was "His part in my downfall".

• Advertisement

ecksor wrote:
    I thought that was "His part in my downfall".

nah, that was his other book, Mussolini: His part in my Downfall.... easy mistake to make, mind you!

I'm ok for the auld Karma and journal posts, tba, I've seen the err of my ways (and so on)

flogen

Advertisement