Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do YOU think the best years of music are behind us?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Best albums from this year:
    Fennesz - Venice
    Einstuerzende Neubauten - Perpetuum Mobile
    cLOUDDEAD - Ten
    PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her
    Sunn O))) - White2
    !!! - Louden Up Now
    The Icarus Line - Penance Soirée
    Sigur Rós - Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do
    Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse
    Alexander Hacke - Sanctuary
    Low - A Lifetime of Temporary Relief
    Ghost - Hypnotic Underworld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

John2 wrote:
    Best albums from this year:
    Fennesz - Venice
    Einstuerzende Neubauten - Perpetuum Mobile
    cLOUDDEAD - Ten
    PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her
    Sunn O))) - White2
    !!! - Louden Up Now
    The Icarus Line - Penance Soirée
    Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse
    Alexander Hacke - Sanctuary
    Low - A Lifetime of Temporary Relief
    Ghost - Hypnotic Underworld

haven't heard any excpt for sonic nurse, shows how much publicity good music gets......

that's why the magic of the internet is here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

John2 wrote:
    The good music is out there if you're willing to look for it. Good original music and good treading the well worn path music.

Very true. I went looking for some good metal/hard rock, and found myself listening to bands from the 70s and 80s, cos that's what I found was best. And from what I can see, very few emerging bands manage to beat them. I kept an open mind, and I may have come out sounding like one of many people who fcuks Redleslie2's mother, but the old stuff, from what I can hear, sounds the freshest.

Maybe if I was born 20 years after I was, and if this was year 2024 (2004 + 20 years), we might all be having the same argument as we are right now. But from what I can see, I doubt I'd be listening to stuff from the 90s and 00s. Maybe I might have taken a different listening route and be into something like funk or jazz etc, but if i was listening to metal like I am now, there would be very few bands from that era in my CD (or whatever medium is used) collection.

And that's why I think the best years of music are behind us! Read it or weep.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

nesthead wrote:
    no...... pretty stupid question.......

hope you guys have fun on your mod-less weekend *yawn*

I thought it was a good question...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

In short, no...

But, at the same time, we are living in the age of the most downright shameless pop industry that has ever existed! Sure, manufactured bands have been around since the Monkees, and probably before, but nothing has ever been on the scale all the various pop idols of the world, and the Louis Walsh cocksucker brigade that systematically dominated music in Ireland.

But good, original music is definetly out there, and it's not hard to find, especially on the internet, you only have to take a peek, and find very interesting and original things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

John2 wrote:
    e

SIGUR ROS HAD A NEW ALBUM AND I WASNT INFORMED?!!?!?!?!

It's an EP. It's very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Foy

Its obvious that as we have such a small amount of
    human history behind usthat the bests songs HAVE NOT BEEN MADE.

and from the evidence of what you've posted so far, the best people have not been made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 museslave

there is no right answer to the topic... good music is decided by individual opinion... i could say that the greatest album of all time is the divine comedy "fin de siecle", but 99% of people would say im an asshole and im speaking crap.
    new genres of music will be created, rock will keep evolving: bands mixing genres (rage against the machine), and devolving: bands that have no interest in originality (the darkness)...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

museslave wrote:
    there is no right answer to the topic...

That is true, but it's more fun arguing over something with no answer like this than arguing over what 2+2 is, cos the answer is 5 and nobody better argue with it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

That is true, but it's more fun arguing over something with no answer like this than arguing over what 2+2 is, cos the answer is 5 and nobody better argue with it :mad:

This is true, but only for extremely large values of 2 of course
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

For your collective edification

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,1300413,00.html
    So, our beloved rock may well have drawn to a halt at the same point at which modern jazz arrived in the late 1960s: hamstrung by an exhausted vocabulary, largely cut off from the everyday, and content to chase its own tail. It might have had its guts excised by the multinational corporations on whom it depends. The wash-out that has so bedevilled British music, however, seems to me to have its roots in the inclusivist, well-behaved, cosseted place that the UK has largely become. Think about it this way: have you heard any good Swiss music recently?

I tend to agree

Advertisement