Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tempting

Options
  • 29-05-2000 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

There are litterally about 20 or 30 on the way that look really class. Anarchy Online is being particularily hyped although it has a futuristic setting. Right now , many critics are saying that EQ is the prettiest and has a good chartacter system , while Ultime Online has many dedicated and fair players and has incredible depth. It is generally accepted that Asherons Call is a compromise of the two and I can tell you that Asherons Call is about 7 quid a month. I personally avoid Online RPG's becuase of the devastating effect they can have a ones social/educational/family/etc life.

So the pope puts down the Badger and leans over to me and says , 'At TFC my son , I 0wnz j00'. Before I could speak in walks Dustin Hoffman in a giant Silk Worm costume and just then...it started to get weird...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I would say that Neverwinter Nights looks quite promising.

It definitely looks pretty.
    Char. Creation is based on the AD&D 3rd ed. system
    The company servers are free
    Player servers are encouraged so you're not just limited to what the company provides.

All in all, it promises to be absolutely excellent... let's hope smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Personally I'd wait for Neverwinter or one of the other new games. The problem with ultima is the huge amount of time you need to spend to get your character to a half way decent level. It's even worse now that they've nerfed macroing. Plus its crap now as well smile.gif
    Cant speak for Everquest but it looked the same, macro macro macro fun times.

You could also look at the player shards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Well encouragement from an unnamed individual has led me to think i may as well just go and buy Everquest tomorrow.

Neverwinter ... if very good will also be purchased smile.gif .. but i don't really want to wait.

In any case hearing Rev dissing UO was the final decision clincher between EQ and Ultima.

JAK.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Shadow Bane biggrin.gif Where the most powerful players control the world. Looks good. I saw a demo of a thief doing a "hide in shadows" and looks excellent.

Anarchy online is supposed to be doing a "Babylon 5". What I mean is the whole story arc is set to run no longer then 5 years. This will probably mean the world to be a lot less static.

Freelancer (?) It's not really an RPG, more of an online Elite. Looks good as well.

Ultima had at one time a spark. Something special about it, but they have recently changed it into a complete candy land. The makers have also lied a lot to thier customers (promised new things when other games were being released then didn't make on those promises).

Whatever you take, most games are extremly addictive. Be prepared to loose a lot of free time.

Well,

Just browsing the Everquest site there, rekindled my interest in RPG's. Play/ed them quite a bit but never ventured online.

Can't say Everquest looks all that pretty .. but messing about with character creation caught my interest again.

I was wondering, if i were to start from scratch now and go out and buy a copy of an online RPG ... which one should i go for.

I want it to be pretty.
    I want serious depth in character creation.
    I want to join a game where the majority of you lot are planning to stay in.
    I want playability and fun not work.
    I want to be able to enjoy playing occasionally without always getting hammered when I join in.

So based on your experiences, which would offer the closest to the above?

Cheers in advance,

JAK.

Is there anything on the way worth waiting for?

[This message has been edited by Jak (edited 29-05-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I gotta agree with Hobbes and Rev about UO.What was once a cool game now blows monkeys.Osi have f@cked up what was once a cool game into a peice of crap.

UO is full of ******* players,you can spend months/years working on you char only to have it nerfed to hell by osi in one day,and worst of all osi lie to the players all the time.

EQ is full of sound players as if you act an ******** no one will help you and you will be stuck with a low char forever.The gfx for the new Kunark rock for a online game with 1-2000 players on at once(this aint UT or Q£ so dont expect amazing gfx).Eq is also the one that I will be staying in as its fun

Jak-start a char on saryn in the lizardman race(iskar) and I will help you out all I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

actually,

an advantage of Neverwinter (if it's any good) is that it can be played offline in single player (you control all characters), on a LAN, or on the Net. You can also write the scenarios (still to be seen how user defineable the options are - and how easy the interface is) yourself, and "DM" them actually control the NPCs and stuff. IF it does everything promised, it'll be an incredible feat.... if. here's hoping. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

No Jayk... play on the seventh hammer with me and devore... smile.gif

_INS5176 caused an invalid page fault in
    module ZDATAI51.DLL at 0177:10003ebf.
    Registers:
    EAX=00000005 CS=0177 EIP=10003ebf EFLGS=00010283
    EBX=ffff54a4 SS=017f ESP=006bf970 EBP=00d03000
    ECX=00cf8000 DS=017f ESI=00000235 FS=506f
    EDX=0000000a ES=017f EDI=00d02dcb GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    88 4d 00 45 47 4b 75 f6 8b 7c 24 18 eb 19 33 c9
    Stack dump:
    00000001 00e004e0 00e006b0 1000de50 00001d1b 00007bd8 00cf00c9 0000007f 1000358d 00000000 0000001f 1000efc0 1000e338 00e004e0 1000de50 00cf0079

Beautiful ain't it?

Bought a copy of EQ today .. and this is what auto install gives me each time.

Have Credit Card ready and everything smile.gif

Well I'll try and get it sorted out as quick as i can .. I have decided to play as a Monk.

Either Human or them Lizard fellas .. undecided as of yet.

I'll let you know,

JAK.

ps- If anyone has any ideas about the above error message let me know. Otherwise I'll take it back to Virgin Friday.

Well,

I slowed the CD speed, cleared up the atart menu and gave the cd a brush.

It still gave me a mad error message but the game installed in the background anyway smile.gif

So .. Have the patch Downloadin.

For now I'm gonna set up 2 Characters.

1 Lizard Monk where Venom is.

And a Human Monk on the Seventh Hammer server.

I'll probably be on in an hour or so ...

In any case ... the tutorial was a bit shockin (Graphics wise smile.gif) but if i could play Ultima 3 etc ... this will be a pleasure.

JAK.

ps- UT spoils us with prettiness.

• Advertisement

Right,

2 Characters.

Jaek - Saryrn Server - Lizard Monk

JayK - 7th Hammer - Human Monk (level 2..ooh)

I have the game installed at home and put it on this pc this morning too. It's seems like a good game .. bit slow moving around, and i have a bit of learning to do as regards speech commands and so on, but i'm sure it gets better.

It'll be nice when i don't have to run away from farmyard animals though.

Thats about it,

Cheers,

JAK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 spartac

Im on Tribunal server.
    Lev 51 shaman.
    Nemesis.
    Thinking of giving up EQ to to huge time involved and taking quake back up again.
    Whats everyones nickname,their servers and their levels?.
    My nick in EQ is spartac.

Well Iv started again on the Seventh Hammer sever.

I currently have a level 4 Iskar Shadow Knight there.

Also have a level 18 Shadow Knight on Sayrn.

Jak dont bother with a monk as they suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

What's your lad called?

Jounar on ST and Kanis on saryn.

What the score on you chars?

Cool. Everyone on 7th hammer.

Character is Human Monk 4th lvl - JayK (not very original - but Monkey was gone)

As for Monk's - You're probably right Venom- i can certainly see their weaknesses as a class ... but I'm sick of always playing mage's or half-elf rangers in these kinda games. So i thought I'd take somethin very different for the laugh.

In any case as a group player at high levels, Monk's do have some useful abilities (feign death, all that healing crap and of course fly kicks wink.gif)

JAK.

Advertisement