Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upload/Download at the same time.

• 02-09-2004 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I have UTV Clicksilver. It's fine, I get 512Kbps download and also 128Kbps upload. However, whenever I try uploading and downloading together... it just doesn't seem to work. When I'm uploading at my full capacity (or close to it) I get really bad download speeds. Somebody said my connection doesn't have 'full duplex'. I'm not sure what that means, but my question is, is there anything I can do locally to fix the issue or is completely due to the server?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

use netlimiter to drop the upload speed down 1 or 2k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Full Duplex means that you can achieve around the same speeds both up and downloading at the same time. Half Duplex would mean that you are goign to take a performance hit of about half on one or the other of the streams.

This should be set by the ISP and there is nothing you can do to fix it, AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

exiztone wrote:
    I have UTV Clicksilver. It's fine, I get 512Kbps download and also 128Kbps upload. However, whenever I try uploading and downloading together... it just doesn't seem to work. When I'm uploading at my full capacity (or close to it) I get really bad download speeds. Somebody said my connection doesn't have 'full duplex'. I'm not sure what that means, but my question is, is there anything I can do locally to fix the issue or is completely due to the server?
    When you're downloading something, you have to continually send response packets to the sender to reassure him that you're still there. If your upload pipe is full, because you're also uploading a large file at the same time, then you can't send those acknowledgemnt packets, even though they're quite tiny. Therefore the sender slows down a bit, because it thinks that you can't keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

adsl is full duplex. The problem you're experiencing is because of the way TCP/IP is designed, not because of some fault with your adsl. Try not to saturate your upstream/downstream and it won't occur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Ah, thanks for the information.

Maybe you could give me some advice on what to do here. I setup an FTP server using Bulletproof FTP Server 2.3.1 so I could share some files. The person on the other end is downloading from me at the full speed, but because of this, he can only upload to me at 2Kbps (he's capable of much more). Do you think if I limited his downloading to 8Kbps I would get a much better speed, or is there some way around all this? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

exiztone wrote:
    Do you think if I limited his downloading to 8Kbps I would get a much better speed
    that's what i said, innit? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

carrotcake wrote:
    that's what i said, innit? :confused:

Heheh, sorry. I read your original post wrong. Thought you said drop it to 1 or 2 Kpbs, so I ignored it. :P

Advertisement