Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VCR Sound Problem

Options
  • 02-09-2004 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

When i record a programme on my vcr i get no sound but the picture is perfect.Also ive played tapes in it and the sound is ok. Its only when i record i get no sound. I no VCRs are dirt cheap now but i was wondering what the problem might be.

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Can you give more detail, for example:

Is it a NICAM or Mono VCR?

Are you having tracking problems at all?

If you record over an old program on a tape are there remnants of the original programs audio still present?

My first reaction was dirty heads when I read your post, on a mono VCR the audio and tracking stack are to the right of the Video Head Drum assy. A cotton but and some meths or acetone will do the job. A NICAM VCR is a different kettle of fish altogether.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/vcr.htm - this site will explain where to look for the different heads. Let's know how you get on !

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

ZENER wrote:
    Can you give more detail, for example:

Is it a NICAM or Mono VCR?

Are you having tracking problems at all?

If you record over an old program on a tape are there remnants of the original programs audio still present?

My first reaction was dirty heads when I read your post, on a mono VCR the audio and tracking stack are to the right of the Video Head Drum assy. A cotton but and some meths or acetone will do the job. A NICAM VCR is a different kettle of fish altogether.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/vcr.htm - this site will explain where to look for the different heads. Let's know how you get on !

ZEN
    no tracking problems at all
    its a nicam vcr

is this any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

How have you connected it to the TV ?

Have you tried the SCART OUT ?

It's been a few years since college but I think the audio available from the RF output is the standard MONO sound recorded as a linear track at the edge of the tape. This could be prone to dropout due to a build up of oxide on the audio control stack - in this case cleaning it as described above should cure it.

If the hi-fi sound is whats missing then you're in big money territory. HiFi sound is recorded under the video information deep within the oxide on the tape by 2 extra heads on the Drum Assy. using FM. Cleaning may cure it but I'd guess the heads need replacing.

Have you had the unit long, might it be lack of knowledge of the operation of the unit, when recording is there any option what source is used for the audio - is there an on screen menu for example ?

Check if there is any sound from any of the available outputs from recorded material, you say rented movies playback sound - is it hifi or mono?

If you post the model number I may be able to help a bit more - but considering , as you said, that a new (SONY) stereo VCR is available locally for under a hundred quid it may be a case of uneconomical to repair I'm afraid !

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

It also depends what you are recording. Terrestrial TV, Sky Digitial, Sky+, NTL, etc.

Is it a new VCR that has this problem or is it a fault that has developed on a VCR that used to work.

If it is terrestrial TV make sure that you have the correct system selected when tuning in the video. I had a similar problem when I bought my TV. I tuned in the frequencies and the picture was perfect but there was no sound. It turned out that the default setting for the frequency was B/K (a european system). When I changed it to the correct one (I) the sound appeared as if by magic :D.

There is also a fairly common problem with Sky+ and the VCR Scart. It doesn't output sound to certain VCRs. On my old Hitachi VCR you could not hear the sound when you were recording but on playback the sound was there. On my Sony VCR there is no sound on either recording or playback.

Hope that helps a bit...

Advertisement