Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop

Options
  • 02-09-2004 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I was thinking of geting a laptop,
    as im starting science degree in trinity this year,
    i dont know do you think i would need it,as i dont know , do you have to do assigments etc.
    i really dont know,anyone do science in any college here? do you have to hand up papers or is it more pratical,etc

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's not that important. Depending on what subjects you do within science of course. If you're doing physics or chemistry, you'll have lab reports and problem sheets to do, and you won't really need a computer for that. Most of the software you'll need is on the network in college, though some of my friends got a cracked version of MATLAB last year. You might have a bit more in the way of essay type work if you do biological subjects, but you'll be able to do most of that in college anyway. If you're living away from home, it's nice to be able to watch DVDs and play games on the laptop at home though.
    BTW I'm going into 3rd science in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Irrelevant question: Which would you say is a better college for science, TCD or UCD? UCD seems like a nice,big modern campus, so I got the impression that the science facilities are better there. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 seanie04

Dunno about the facilities, but you get a better qualification from UCD, an honours BSc, whereas the Trinity one is a general BA in whatever area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AL04

Know someone doing science in DCU, said it's a really good course - modern facilities too. Get an honours degree at the end of it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

seanie04 wrote:
    Dunno about the facilities, but you get a better qualification from UCD, an honours BSc, whereas the Trinity one is a general BA in whatever area.

To tell you the truth I have a science degree (BA hons) from trinity and i don't know if UCD's is a better degree but don't be basing it's worth on the name of the degree. Trinity is just one of those old world universities that give a BA in every subject and it is not more "general" or what not! bit like oxford and Cambridge in England, I believe, where they don't award Bsc's either.

Oh and Trinity give you an honours degree, if you deserve it!!! :D

So i wouldn't call it a better qualification because it is a BSc as the BA will be exactly the same.

p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

pekelly wrote:
    To tell you the truth I have a science degree (BA hons) from trinity and i don't know if UCD's is a better degree but don't be basing it's worth on the name of the degree. Trinity is just one of those old world universities that give a BA in every subject and it is not more "general" or what not! bit like oxford and Cambridge in England, I believe, where they don't award Bsc's either.

Oh and Trinity give you an honours degree, if you deserve it!!! :D

So i wouldn't call it a better qualification because it is a BSc as the BA will be exactly the same.

p
    Actualy it shouldn't really matter where you get your degree from due to standarisation of dgree courses, e.g a degree course from trinity has exactly the same standard as a degree from some backwater. Of course in another country they'll recognise the trinity name but the standard of the degree should be the same.

Advertisement