Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***New Gaming Forum***

Options
  • 02-09-2004 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi,

If anyone is interested myself and a few others have started an new gaming site for ireland over at www.gamingireland.net The site is still in development at the moment but we have put up the first beta of the forum. If any of you people want to drop in on it feel free as I would love to here your ideas and suggestion as to how we can make a good gaming site for the whole community. I am currently recruiting people to help with putting content so hopefully we should have some content soon

Later

PrimalConcreteSledge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

lose the animated gifs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

looks good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

v.nice looking forum !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Pantera

Thanks for checkin it out lads, yeah no one on boards seems to like the whole animated gifs do they.... ah well I don't see the harm, but eh thats just my opinion. Anyway all feedback is welcome.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah quite nice looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

yeh thats a cool looking template. fair play to that Jakob Persson chap. He's got quite a few free templates on his site.

I'd recommend designing your own template for the forums in the long term, just to give the site it's own look and feel + tie it in with the feel of the index page of the site.

good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Impressive I have to say!!

dangerman wrote:
    yeh thats a cool looking template. fair play to that Jakob Persson chap. He's got quite a few free templates on his site.

I'd recommend designing your own template for the forums in the long term, just to give the site it's own look and feel + tie it in with the feel of the index page of the site.

good luck with it.

I completely agree, I have already started tinkering with some style sheets and stuff for it, but for the time being I will stick with this one because that guy does have some really nice stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

Very nice. Bit black though, innit?

mmmm perhaps, I was thinking of adding a couple more themes so that people have a choice of colour. I might do that today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yeah i'd prefer it if the colours were reversed. maybe have black text on a lighter backround.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Actually this smells like an ad for users.

DeV.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Is there a need for another Irish games board? And why is there so many topics when there's no demand for them?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Running a successful forum isnt as simple as just throwing up the software and waiting for the users to arrive. Look at LocalIreland, Online.ie even P45... they all went wrong. Afterhours.ie never really got off the ground either. Everyone thinks they just install VBulletin and sit back and wait for the millions to roll in... I still get a giggle from that idea. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

I think thats a little harsh dev. If you look a bit closer at this guys site that is just the forum part of it, not the main site - which he's obviously just posted up and is pretty excited about it hence the post here. He openly asks for suggestions. Maybe posting about it was a bit premature, i'd wait till a site is up and running before posting about it.

I think it's great when people throw up a site, to hell with whether it will be popular or not. It's good fun. Everyone should do it. if only for the learning aspect its a very worthwhile experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

DeVore wrote:
    Running a successful forum isnt as simple as just throwing up the software and waiting for the users to arrive. Look at LocalIreland, Online.ie even P45... they all went wrong. Afterhours.ie never really got off the ground either. Everyone thinks they just install VBulletin and sit back and wait for the millions to roll in... I still get a giggle from that idea. :)

DeV.
    'The Secrets Of Online Communities' - Devore. now available in paperback - €14.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

i contribruted

There is certainly no notion of comercial gain from this site, as you can see the aim is for the forum to compliment the site. It is just easier to generate a little start up instrest with a forum as it is easy enough to manage and it updates itself with new content so that we can concentrate on content for the main site. And of course I am looking for some users here also, I post on many differnet forums myself even if they are on the same topic. This will ery much so be on a trial and error basis, but we genuinely want to contribute to the irish gaming community on a whole. I hope that helps with understanding what we are about. We are not trying to build a boards.ie here!!!

Advertisement