Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cinemas in Galway

• 02-09-2004 9:58pm

Im moving up to Galway in a few days and was wondering if there was any cinema that showed films like Hero, A Tale of Two Sisters and so on. Anyone know of one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

dont live in galway, so really have no idea, but do yourself a favour and pick up tommorrow's times, the ticket supplement in that every friday lists all the cinemas and their weekly showings county by county in the republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

theres the omniplex and... well... thats your lot.

http://www.rte.ie/arts/onscreen/cinema/Galway_Omniplex.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Omniplex times. Usually updated by midday on Friday, sometimes they get lazy. Assuming the Omniplex is owned by the same folks who own the Savoy (like most of the cinemas in the country AFAIK), that's effectively the official site. I notice they don't have the prices for any of the cinemas on the site any more, the feckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I read somewhere a few months ago that an arthouse cinema will be built in Galway. Anybody know any thing about this?

That would be really great, if it did happen. The lack of such an institution is a gaping hole in Galway's cultural life.

I think they also have the odd film showing in theatres in the town - in the Taibhdhearc, maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The main (only) option is the Omniplex.

There were plans to build a second Cinema in Salthill in the ill fated Bailey Point project (which incedentally is still bogged down in a mire of legal action). Even if this were built it would only have been another multiplex clone, possibly even owned by the same group.

Galway Film Society run regular seasons of one off screenings in the Town Hall Theatre. You get some excellent films that you'd only see on DVD otherwise but there will only be two films a week for a group of weeks now and then.

As for the Art House Cinema. There is a grant available for the establishment of an Art House Cinema in Galway. There have been two applicants to date to the best of my knowledge (with one looking like they may get it) but the appropriation of the money hasn't been finalised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

simu wrote:
    I read somewhere a few months ago that an arthouse cinema will be built in Galway. Anybody know any thing about this?
    Yup, the site chosen is on Dominick St, next door to Arus na nGael. As far as I know, plans have yet to be drawn up.

The Galway Film Society winter lineup should be sorted soon enough, swing by the townhall to pick up a copy of the scedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Also The Taibhearc on Middle Street is starting a film season shortly. Barbarian Invasions is the first screening. Drop by and I'm sure they'll have a full listing.

Thanks for all the feed back.
    I'll definatly be checking out The Taibhearc and The Galway Film Society.
    it is a shame that Galway does'nt have an arthouse cinema. Im sure that there is a market for it in a city of Galway's size.

Advertisement