Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who organises this site round 'ere?

Options
  • 02-09-2004 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I am new to the whole boards website since i only found out about it a couple of weeks ago from a fellow CTYIzen.

I pose a couple of questions which i hope to be answered.

1.What in god's name is a 'hot thread'?

2.What makes them hot?

3. Who decides when a thread should be closed?

4. Why might the person who runs this place close it?

5. Does the person who originally posted the thread
    have any power over if their thread should be closed or not?

6. Or is there a time limit ( eg do people have to post things on the threads every few days or else it will be closed)?

7. And last but not least, why can nobody view the previous posts on a closed thread?

I can see why nobody can post anymore on them..... but why get rid of the posts that were already there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

1.What in god's name is a 'hot thread'? A thread with 15+ replies or 300+ views

2.What makes them hot? see 2

3. Who decides when a thread should be closed? The Moderators

4. Why might the person who runs this place close it? If it descends into spam

5. Does the person who originally posted the thread have any power over if their thread should be closed or not? Not as such, a mod will generally close it if they ask though

6. Or is there a time limit? No

7. And last but not least, why can nobody view the previous posts on a closed thread? Um...you can read a locked thread, just not post

Hope this helps, remember, your lack of text talk is the only reason you got answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

1.What in god's name is a 'hot thread'?
    A thread with more than a certain number of replies, I think it's 15 or 20
    2.What makes them hot?
    See above
    3. Who decides when a thread should be closed?
    The moderators
    4. Why might the person who runs this place close it?
    CTYI could legitimately ask the admins to close this board if the contents of this board were reflecting badly on CTYI. I'm suprised they didn't ask for this to be done 2 days after the end of session 2, as strangers coming in here and seeing all the spam would not get a very good impression of CTYIers
    5. Does the person who originally posted the thread
    have any power over if their thread should be closed or not?
    No
    6. Or is there a time limit ( eg do people have to post things on the threads every few days or else it will be closed)?
    No, there is no time limit
    7. And last but not least, why can nobody view the previous posts on a closed thread?
    I can see them fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 farry aka faz

So one of the people working in CTYI is a moderator?

I have another question.
    What do the stars under my nickname represent?
    You (Barry Aldwell) have 3 stars yet i only have 1 star..... why is that?

I have another question.
    What do the stars under my nickname represent?
    You (Barry Aldwell) have 3 stars yet i only have 1 star..... why is that?
    It's to do with postcount. I have over 1000 posts, so I have 3 stars. You have under 100 posts, so you have 1

And there are 2 moderators, Halenger and crash_000. Neither are employees of CTYI, but they are past pupils

• Advertisement

Who made them moderators? Did CTYI?

And what are sticky threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

If you look under boards.ie FAQs, you should find the answers to your questions. :)
    (Sticky threads are threads which are deemed important and stickified.)

The moderators were nominated by the previous moderators when they were leaving. The original mod was Asuka, who set up the board in the first place. He then co-modded with Smiles for several years, until Asuka resigned. A few months later crash_000 was made mod, and Smiles resigned. Halenger was added as a mod recently

Sticky threads are threads that are bound to the top of the page, regardless of the most recent post

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

sticky threads are threads that stay up there no matter whether they're posted on or not. As for how we were made moderators, its all nepotism tbh. CTYI have no affiliation with this board at all other than in name so they did NOT make us the moderators. any more questions?

• Advertisement

whats a vB code?
    and what is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=98 <----Newbie FAQ - read and learn.

Thanks for the weblink. I will make sure that i read it thoroughly.

Advertisement