Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Questions regarding WLR......?

Options
  • 02-09-2004 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Given the recent new offering from UTV (Talk) I was interested in Comreg's response to three concerns I had about switching my line rental 'away' from Eicom.

1) Since Eircom will still be responsible for fixing the line if something goes wrong what kind of guarantee will the other Teleco's have regarding response time for faults.

Answer - Eircom will provide the same response time to the users of other teleco's as they will to their own customers.

2) There was some talk a while back that Eircom would remove anyone who moved their line rental to another provider from the phone book. Is this true ?

Answer - No, under the USO everyone who has a fixed line will be guarantee one entry in the phone book.

3) There was also some talk that Eircom wholesale were 'losing' the DSL test results for lines which had been switched to another provider. In effect this would mean that people who wanted to get broadband would be unable to unless they were with Eircom. Are Comreg looking into this ?

Answer - Comreg are not aware of any such problem and if anyone has proof that this is happening Comreg will address the complaint on their behalf with Eircom.

Overall therefore pretty positive stuff from Comreg, enforcing this however will be the true test.

M.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Mr_Man wrote:
    2) There was some talk a while back that Eircom would remove anyone who moved their line rental to another provider from the phone book. Is this true ?

Answer - No, under the USO everyone who has a fixed line will be guarantee one entry in the phone book.
    That's not an answer to the question that you asked.

Eircoms position is (or was - I haven't read the final agreement) that, as they no longer have a relationship with the end user, they can't know whether a user should be ex-directory, or whether address information is incorrect. Therefore eircom wants to delete that entry when the user switches to WLR, and it will be up to the WLR provider to add them back in again. Extra cost, extra administration, with no benefit, except for the tiny, tiny proportion of users who need special handling.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ripwave wrote:
    Eircoms position is (or was - I haven't read the final agreement) that, as they no longer have a relationship with the end user, they can't know whether a user should be ex-directory, or whether address information is incorrect.
    That's typical Eircom bullshít. They know the status of that information at the time of changing providers; it's perfectly valid to assume that it won't change unless they're explicitly informed otherwise.

I switched to Smart Telecom recently, and part of the verification process was an agreement that Eircom would continue to hold my information on file. Given that I agreed to that, they damn well better keep my name in the phone book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

oscarBravo wrote:
    That's typical Eircom bullshít. They know the status of that information at the time of changing providers; it's perfectly valid to assume that it won't change unless they're explicitly informed otherwise.
    eircom managed to delay the introduction of WLR for a couple of years by insisting on issues like this. Maybe the issue was finally resolved by getting them to be reasonable on this issue - I don't know, because I haven't read the actual terms under which WLR was finally introduced. (Muck, do you have a pointer to the documentation?)

My main point is that Comreg didn't actually answer the question that Mr Man asked - they only said that you're still entitled to an entry in the phone book. The real question is if the process of maintaining that entry has been made more complicated than it needs to be, who will be responsible. If your "eircom" entry is being deleted, and re-entered the following day by your new provider, what happens if you happen to switch on the day that they compile next years phone book?

Maybe it's all nonsense, and it won't be as bad as I have suggested it might be, but we don't know that, based on Comregs response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

However eircom will make a facility available to CPSO's whereby the
    continuity of the customer's directory entry is ensured when moving to or from
    SB-WLR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Mr_Man wrote:
    Given the recent new offering from UTV (Talk) I was interested in Comreg's response to three concerns I had about switching my line rental 'away' from Eicom.

1) Since Eircom will still be responsible for fixing the line if something goes wrong what kind of guarantee will the other Teleco's have regarding response time for faults.

Answer - Eircom will provide the same response time to the users of other teleco's as they will to their own customers.
    Not trying to be smart here. Eircom will ensure that 1901 goes to Eircom and that they will then dump on the other carrier or OLO as they are technically called. WLR is being run by a bunch of hardcore Biddies in Mayo. 1901 really should be routed to the OLO as part of the seamles proce ss and the OLO should be really on the ball for faults as well .
    They are not "allowed" to do this as they must run the National Phone Book database as a Universal Obligation but see my last comment about "Hard Core" and remember that someone else will be blamed for 'Not Telling Them ' etc.
    3) There was also some talk that Eircom wholesale were 'losing' the DSL test results for lines which had been switched to another provider. In effect this would mean that people who wanted to get broadband would be unable to unless they were with Eircom. Are Comreg looking into this ?
    Answer - Comreg are not aware of any such problem and if anyone has proof that this is happening Comreg will address the complaint on their behalf with Eircom.
    Hah :):):) , Comreg are incapable of addressing an envelope. Eircom Wholesale have lost tests or could not 'access 'them for some mysterious reason as the lines were not 'Eircom lines' even though they are .
    Overall therefore pretty positive stuff from Comreg, enforcing this however will be the true test.
    Comreg went on a day thrip to Mayo and were impresses by the hard core Biddy setup. A 2 day trip woulda meant a night in Westport whch coulda addled them further.

M

• Advertisement
Advertisement