Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Weeks El action

• 02-09-2004 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

With El starting losing its flavour of the week here on boards heres this weeks games:

Eircom League Premier Division
    St Patrick's Athletic - Shamrock Rovers

Last night Dublin City drew with Bohs 0-0 so bugger all games in Dublin, cept Pats vs Rovers. Last 2 seasons this match has been a bit crappy with them living with us ,makes for an odd atmosphere. This game is most Pats(mine) season we must beat them, regardless of relegation beating Rovers is our season (althoough Shels in 3 weeks is looking like a nice bonus, be nice to stop them winning the league)
    Longford play Derry on saturday in FlanSiro.

Drogheda United 	25 	13 	6 	6 	32/18 	45
    Shelbourne 	           23 	  12 	8 	3 	31/19 	44
    Bohemians 	          25 	9 	11 	5 	32/22 	38
    Waterford United 	26 	10 	6 	10 	32/36 	36
    Cork City 	            22 	9 	7 	6 	29/23 	34
    Shamrock Rovers 	24 	8 	5 	11 	31/28 	29
    Derry City 	            25 	7 	8 	10 	14/22 	29
    St Patrick's Athletic 	  24 	8 	4 	12 	24/32 	28
    Longford Town 	        23 	6 	9 	8 	14/21 	27
    Dublin City 	           25 	4 	6 	15 	24/42 	18

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I reckon will win the league for another season with those games at hand.

I hope Dublin City get relegated, some of the players they have got in are a joke. What age was the last fella , 39 ?? I think the manager is a joke as well, getting rid of all those players and doing crap with carile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Where's the 1st Division table ?

Come on Galway United !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

And Shels play Home Farm on Monday.

BY the way, Shels have signed a new player, Juan Sara, from Italian side Reggina.

He has played for Dundee in Scotland, where he scored a goal every 2 games.

When Dundee went into administration he was let go, and headed to Italy. When he arrived he broke his arm, and has only played 2 games for them.

Seems to be a good signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Juan Sara used to be fantastic at Dundee. Think he scored about 30 in one season. He partnered Claudio Cannigia when he was there. If sara can recapture his form, he will be a great asset for Shels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

and he's still only 26 .
    Id say they are paying him a hefty wage though .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Boro wrote:
    Juan Sara used to be fantastic at Dundee. Think he scored about 30 in one season.
    He scored 35 in his 3 year career at Dundee. His best season was 00/01 when he scored 17 (13 in the league).

BTW, he had an average of a goal every 3 games sean. Don't mind elevenaside, they've said about 5 times that Lille finished in 10th place, 4 places behind Nantes, when they actually finished 9th, 2 places behind Nantes. They're always making mistakes.

I'm not trying to play him down, I'm delighted to see an Argentinian in the league. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

There's no point in us trying to make out that the league is something it isn't. Carlton Palmer's positional sense and aerial ability last night were probably better than that of most centre-halves in the league. he was actually PASSING defensive headers.

Dublin City are **** though, and I can't wait to see them and their waffler of a manager relegated. :)

Dublin City are **** though, and I can't wait to see them and their waffler of a manager relegated.

Me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Continuity Home Farm are 8 points adrift of Longford, who have a game in hand of them. They wont stay up, and not only that, but the way Shoddy has been bringing in players and sacking others, they will probably go out of business (or merge with Shels).

SPA beat Shams 2-0 tonight. They are all but safe from the drop for another year. Shams though seem to be in big trouble. i think that was their 4th loss on the spin.... and their next game is against City next saturday.

As for Shels signing of Sara. Great signing, but how in the hell are thye affording it? Afterall, their Euro exploits are only helping to ease the debts they have.

Maybe they are counting on getting more fans from the European games/making the group stages of the UEFA Cup/or having another good run in Europe next year thats at least as good as this one .

The point is , Europe has changed Shelbourne for the better , and not only will there be more money than before , but they will be more likely to attract players like Sara to the club .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

In fairness the Sara will only strengthen Shels. They needed someone up front that they could depend on against Deportivo to get goals, neither Fitzpatrick or Byrne could do it...

As for Shels signing of Sara. Great signing, but how in the hell are thye affording it? Afterall, their Euro exploits are only helping to ease the debts they have.

I agree with BigEars. I reckon Shels got him to help qualifying for the group stages in the UEFA CUP. they have extra cash now

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Muzz

Roddy Collins is a legend!!!

Muzz wrote:
    Roddy Collins is a legend!!!

at failing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Big Ears wrote:
    at failing .

Yes because guiding Bohs to their first title in 23 years and taking probably the ELs first really notable scalp in Europe (Aberdeen UEFA cup 2000-01) is a sure sign of a failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Aberdeen actually finished bottom of the SPL that season, but stayed up by virtue of the fact that the 'promoted' team hadnt adequate facilities.

No doubting what Roddy did with Bohs though. Thing was, he got way ahead of himself, and basically sowed the seeds of Carlisles relegation from the football league. Not to mention his record with The Team Formerly Known As Home Farm Everton Finglas Whatever so far has been great hasnt it. what is it 3 draws, zero wins and 2 losses?

Crash and burn Roddy, feck off and leave the aL alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Bateman wrote:
    Dublin City are **** though

Gotta love that one.

I don't like them either, and I don't like Roddy
    gimmick wrote:
    Thing was, he got way ahead of himself, and basically sowed the seeds of Carlisles relegation from the football league.
    Not defending Roddy here, but is that entirely true, were they not in a lot of trouble anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

[/quote]
    Robbie Doyle and Darragh Maguire scored early in each half as St Patrick's showed little hospitality to inflict a fourth defeat on the spin on their tenants Shamrock Rovers.

The Saint's got off to the perfect start when Doyle volleyed the opener after just four minutes after Rovers failed to deal with a Mark Quinless corner.

The crucial second goal also came from a corner nine minutes into the second half. A header by Colm Foley from Des Byrne's corner was cleared off the line by Mark Rutherford, but Darragh Maguire was first to the rebound to fire home.

Victory for St Pat's moves them above Rovers as their recovery continues apace, the Hoops, meanwhile are in desperate need of a win to stop their freefall.[/quote]

Was in work at 8.30 so missed 2nd goal and late getting into match so missed 1st one too. We played well should have had a few more, Robbie Doyle is proving to be a very useful signing. Stopl the league now we beat the scum and now ahead of them, not a bad season after all. Now to stop Shels winning league and its like a bonus season.
    Drogheda United 	25 	13 	6 	6 	32/18 	45
    	Shelbourne 	23 	12 	8 	3 	31/19 	44
    	Bohemians 	25 	9 	11 	5 	32/22 	38
    	Waterford United 	26 	10 	6 	10 	32/36 	36
    	Cork City 	22 	9 	7 	6 	29/23 	34
    	St Patrick's Athletic 	25 	9 	4 	12 	26/32 	31
    	Shamrock Rovers 	25 	8 	5 	12 	31/30 	29
    	Derry City 	25 	7 	8 	10 	14/22 	29
    	Longford Town 	23 	6 	9 	8 	14/21 	27
    	Dublin City 	25 	4 	6 	15 	24/42 	1

/me eyes 5th position with Bohs shels and derry next 3 games, 6 points from them should see us move up.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Very good performane from pats last night altough some of it was down to rovers being completly desperate. We should have wone by far more Doyle goal was a cracker after his fluke last week.Out top scorer O'Keefe missed about 4 clear chances and Maguire missed a sitter. Quinless looked excelent in midfeild again the only downpoin was the second poor performance in a row from brendan markey dont know why we singed him our others strikers are far better and thats saying a lot.

Very good performane from pats last night altough some of it was down to rovers being completly desperate. We should have wone by far more Doyle goal was a cracker after his fluke last week.Out top scorer O'Keefe missed about 4 clear chances and Maguire missed a sitter. Quinless looked excelent in midfeild again the only downpoin was the second poor performance in a row from brendan markey dont know why we singed him our others strikers are far better and thats saying a lot.

Used to go school with Markey and seen him with Millwall and Bohs and every other EL team, hes not very good. Grand sunday league player but not EL. Reckon he get one more start then drift off to U21 league. But Sheppard gone to Monahan dunno why he looked good.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

But Sheppard gone to Monahan dunno why he looked good.
    what when did this happen and with sorces telling me of a bust up between Smith and McDonnell and Smith is planing to give up football and go back to work that reduces our striking options signifigantly.

what when did this happen

Dunno where i read it but >

http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=223406&Title=Preview:+Athlone+Town+v+Monaghan+United&lid=Eircom+League&sub=Preview:+Athlone+Town+v+Monaghan+United&navlid=&sublid=
    Monaghan United boss Mick Cooke meanwhile will give a debut to new striker Robbie Collins and full back Keith Foy who both joined from Dublin City though his other new signings Phillip Sheppard (St Patrick’s Athletic) and Darren Burke (Bohemians) are ruled out with ankle injuries.

Hes gone

kdjac

Have to agree about Rovers, this is the poorest Rovers team I have seen since I can remember, happy days all the way.

From what i seen they were bad on friday, but bad in a good HA HA@them way.

We played well was happy with what i seen , heard 2nd half we got better cept with Markey its like playing with 10 men.

kdjac

Big one on Friday, maybe we will wait until Thursday to start a thread about it, but I will probably be inebriated in Liverpool en route from Basel on Thursday.

It's a big chance for Pats to get one over Bohs, with the new Pats' manager putting a decent run together (and with new signings bedding in well), while the new Bohs manager is struggling to get the team producing any real end reasult to the hours of possession they get. Dominic Foley needs to start delivering, and Robbie Doyle will desperately want to put one over Bohs, and especially us, who gave him stick for various reasons. Won't be pretty but will be a tense, exciting game. Hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

KdjaC wrote:
    We played well was happy with what i seen , heard 2nd half we got better cept with Markey its like playing with 10 men.
    It honestly wouldn't have made a difference if there was 10 men on the pitch as Markey was invisible. I actually though O'Keefe was partnering Doyle up front.

Advertisement