Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do i go about this?

• 02-09-2004 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

ok guys i posted this is the computer section...didnt know this bit existed..got some help but to be fair i could do with it a little more detailed..which is where i hope u can help me :D

ive got my 1mb external usb ADSL modem plugged into my comp , ive got a Cat 5 cable going from that to a little hub thing under my bed...from that we have another cat cable which goes all the way downstairs to the comp in another room (the second 1 in my sig) and the laptop ..i also bought a cat cable for that so if i couldnt be bothered to go to my room id sit downstairs with the laptop on my knee and just plug the cat5 cable in

well im upgrading my main rig, my bits of this rig are going into my other rig, and with the other rigs parts and a few other bits and pieces lying around (well ive got another not bad case, a gf4 mx440 and a q-tec psu (but a solid one..unless i need a lot of power..which this wont)

all im missing is some hdd's but im thinking of setting some sort of server or something up (i download a lot of stuff and would like some more storage so i just want that on downloading maybe or something) ..ive got 320gb on this machine..but i could quite easily fill that when i get started

the question...or questions, is do i need another cat5 cable to plug this into the hub..or would i be better getting some sort of wireless kit for all 4 set ups (including the laptop) ...and is there anyway i can set my modem up so it doesnt need to be plugged into my pc, otherwise the other pcs can only go online when my main rig is turned on ..which defeats the object of if i just wanna lie in bed with my lappy and surf the net...with my main pc still on

i dont know how to go about this at all..whether i need some new stuff, or i need to plug the modem into the hub ..somehow ..or anything

i could really do with some advice on how to set my server "up"..i dont really know what im gonna do with it, but its pointless letting all the bits go spare , and how to tackle the modem..issue, thx for any help guys im a total network n00b

ive just copied that from my comp post...i hope that helps, i was asked how thick my walls are..its a fairly new house with pretty thin walls so im ok in that front

i just really need a way to config my usb modem to not need my pc on to work!..and i dont like trailing the cat5 cable around for the lappy...so that could do to be wireless...but if its too much hassle to have just the laptop wired..then ill have all 3 pcs and the laptop wireless...if i can, i really dont know how you go about it

*i was also advised on using server 2003 for my server..not sure how to go about that either :(

any advice would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

www.clarkconnect.com

the home version is free. No need for fancy hardware, Runs very nicely on an old P2 400.
    It's also a lot more secure than any of the microsoft based solutions

Keep the wired network it's much faster than wireless although you could add a wireless Access point (or even just add a suitable wireless card to the Clarkconnect box) for the benefit of the laptop

Advertisement